Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Associate
Because they wouldn't immediately be competitive and therefore bring "value" to the sport.

Of course, the fact that they wouldn't be competitive is due to the requirement for them to be a customer of an existing engine supplier, of which only Renault would offer to be the supplier, due to not supplying any other teams (and we know how uncompetitive the Renault engine is...)

Understood about Renault based engines.

But as for Andretti as a team, well it would be very strange if any team jumped in first season and was competitive right? From my experience of F1, excluding the likes of Brawn, the most successful new team of the last 20 years, is Haas, right?
It seems to be a bit of a backwards way to keep the teams out, "you must be competitive in a sport, you have not competed in".

Soldato

As a lot of the YT comments say, I'd like to play poker with Lewis. lol :D

Surely Newey to Ferrari is a done deal? If he was just going to chill out and work on his hypercar, why would they have worked so hard to get him out of his gardening leave? :confused:

As for Andretti, I'd like to see another team in F1. If they think there's "too many" they should listen to Zak Brown and use it as an excuse to kick out RB Cashback. It'd be better for the sport having two independent teams rather than a sister team involved.

Man of Honour

As a lot of the YT comments say, I'd like to play poker with Lewis. lol :D

Surely Newey to Ferrari is a done deal? If he was just going to chill out and work on his hypercar, why would they have worked so hard to get him out of his gardening leave? :confused:

As for Andretti, I'd like to see another team in F1. If they think there's "too many" they should listen to Zak Brown and use it as an excuse to kick out RB Cashback. It'd be better for the sport having two independent teams rather than a sister team involved.

Kick out RB Cashback? I don't think it would be worth the lawsuit; there is however zero reason why another team; especially one like Andretti with the backing of a manufacturer shouldn't be allowed in - its bloody nuts.

Man of Honour
While I don't think F1 should become a "spec series" I do think the proposals that were floated back in the 00's (when Prodrive were going to join) for customer cars weren't the worst idea and even say a team was only allowed to use a customer car for the first 5 years to let them get their own facilties / staff, etc up to speed.

We see customer cars in almost every major motorsport series from WEC/Le-Mans to DTM, Touring Cars and even to an extent in Indycar with formal technical agreements between some of the more established teams and newcomers. I don't really see why it wouldn't work in F1; could even restrict their access to "constructors" points until they start making their own car.

Soldato
Firstly it isn't law it about a decision whether to accept another team into F1, Congress are exploiting a outdated Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 which outlaws unreasonable restraints on market competition to produce the best outcome for the American consumer to politically interfer with a sport. They also use an outdated law to similarly ban all abortions.
Secondly, this isn't about Saudi Arabia, that is a whole different conversation.

Are you stating that US right wing politicians should dictate which teams should be in F1 and thus supporting Trump?

So I'll ask again then, who gets to decide which laws of a country F1 should follow?

What's right wing politicians or Trump got to do with it :confused: but for absolute clarity, no I'm not stating that. I'm saying that if F1 conducts business in the USA (or any other country) they should follow all the laws of that country. It doesn't matter whether you agree with the law, whether you agree with the potential outcome of the case or where the ruler/ruling government sits on the political spectrum. F1 will have an army of lawyers and should know what the law is and if they've broken it then it's right that F1 may face legal recourse. If that means F1 have to allow Andretti's entry then so be it, that's the fault of F1, not Andretti (or the US Government).

Associate
Away from the legal discussion... had a very interesting day today. I was lucky enough to have a tour of McLaren HQ this morning. Great to get a look behind the scenes especially going through some of the 'heritage' stuff that was out and being worked on. Managed to get a few photos in permitted areas but understandably the real interesting stuff was under strict no photo restrictions.

Bit early for Miami so not much happening race wise but I guess that's why we got to see some of the areas we did. It really is a fantastic facility and everyone we met was superb. My 1:34 on the game rig (with heavy assists) didn't quite match up to the record presumably set by the esports pros at 1:29ish but I'm happy nonetheless. I reckon I could have shaved a little bit off with a bit more knowledge of the circuit / ever having had a go on the game before. Comparing that to the sprint quali times seems like there's still a step up to the top level. Can't imagine making all the adjustments on the steering wheel and managing radio at the same time mind you!

Associate
Very cool. My company had a competition to win a tour about a year ago. I didn’t win :(
This was a competition through their McLaren plus thing. My wife was relieved I didn't win the other competition recently where the prize was part of Oscar's front wing (though she'd have enjoyed the Silverstone tickets that came with it)

Caporegime
While I don't think F1 should become a "spec series" I do think the proposals that were floated back in the 00's (when Prodrive were going to join) for customer cars weren't the worst idea and even say a team was only allowed to use a customer car for the first 5 years to let them get their own facilties / staff, etc up to speed.

We see customer cars in almost every major motorsport series from WEC/Le-Mans to DTM, Touring Cars and even to an extent in Indycar with formal technical agreements between some of the more established teams and newcomers. I don't really see why it wouldn't work in F1; could even restrict their access to "constructors" points until they start making their own car.

They should bring back testing in a much bigger way. They could make money off it by making it a public day. They could host a weekend at Donny for example. Not only would it bring money into the track but help fund the costs of testing. I am sure F1 could milk it over 3 days. It would also give test drivers some coverage and more compeititon for places on the grid.

You look back at how bad Ferrari were in both 1995 and even in 1998 but both times they managed to claw back through testing. You could see the car just getting faster and faster until it could compete with the Williams in 1997 and the MacLaren in 1999.

The main issue you have today is that whoever gets the regulations right on a big change basically has the championship locked up till the next ones. Mercedes would have never had the dominance that they had if the manufactures had free reign on engine.

By all means still include a cap but let people do what they want with it.

Soldato
As it isn’t the 2025 F1 car then yes. I guess Adrian and RedBull have come to an agreement that suits them both..

Saves them going to court given a non-compete for 3 years as suggested earlier in the thread, likely isn't legal (or at least legally questionable) especially in an area where you need to be active to keep your knowledge up to date.

The government had a whole consolation on this after covid.

Of course, we've no idea in which jurisdiction his contract is governed be if he even has a direct contract vs using his own ltd company.

Soldato
Some new comments from Adrian Newey,

--------------
"Formula 1 is all-consuming and I've been at it for a long time now," Newey told Sky Sports F1.

"2021 was a really busy year because of the tight battle with Mercedes through the championship, and at the same time putting all the research and development into the RB18 which is the father of this generation of cars.

I don't know, there comes a point where I just felt, as Forrest Gump said, 'I'm feeling a little bit tired'."

When asked how long he had been thinking about his decision, he said: "A little while now, if I am honest.

"I guess over the winter a little bit and then as events have unfolded this year, I thought... I am in the very lucky position where I don't need to work to live.

"I work because I enjoy it and it felt now is a good time to step back, take a little bit of a break and take stock of life.

"Mandy, my wife, and the dogs, we'll probably go travelling. Get a motorhome or something and go down through France and just enjoy life.

"Then maybe at some point, I don't know when, I'll be standing in the shower and saying right, this is going to be the next adventure. Right now there is no plan."
------------------------

Doesn't sound like he's rushing to Ferrari just yet.

Soldato
Some new comments from Adrian Newey,

--------------
"Formula 1 is all-consuming and I've been at it for a long time now," Newey told Sky Sports F1.

"2021 was a really busy year because of the tight battle with Mercedes through the championship, and at the same time putting all the research and development into the RB18 which is the father of this generation of cars.

I don't know, there comes a point where I just felt, as Forrest Gump said, 'I'm feeling a little bit tired'."

When asked how long he had been thinking about his decision, he said: "A little while now, if I am honest.

"I guess over the winter a little bit and then as events have unfolded this year, I thought... I am in the very lucky position where I don't need to work to live.

"I work because I enjoy it and it felt now is a good time to step back, take a little bit of a break and take stock of life.

"Mandy, my wife, and the dogs, we'll probably go travelling. Get a motorhome or something and go down through France and just enjoy life.

"Then maybe at some point, I don't know when, I'll be standing in the shower and saying right, this is going to be the next adventure. Right now there is no plan."
------------------------

Doesn't sound like he's rushing to Ferrari just yet.
Nope, contrary to what the press are stating, if it turns out to be Ferrari anyway as that's also just speculation, and Adrian also remains good friends to Christian as well...

Soldato
That statement screams of

‘Please stop making stuff up, thank you, KR Adrian’.

His right, his job must mean he basically has no life outside the factory and the F1 paddock. It’s not like his going to be off having a rest off season like the drivers, he will be busy working away on next years car with his team.

Caporegime
Saves them going to court given a non-compete for 3 years as suggested earlier in the thread, likely isn't legal (or at least legally questionable) especially in an area where you need to be active to keep your knowledge up to date.

The government had a whole consolation on this after covid.

Of course, we've no idea in which jurisdiction his contract is governed be if he even has a direct contract vs using his own ltd company.

Probably the UK, considering the team is based in the UK/Milton Keynes? I don't really know though, but would make sense.

Soldato
He was the Cheif Technical Officer of the company, there is no way in this world he was anything other than an employee.

HMRC would have a field day if they tried to pass him off as a contractor.

Soldato
That statement screams of

‘Please stop making stuff up, thank you, KR Adrian’.

His right, his job must mean he basically has no life outside the factory and the F1 paddock. It’s not like his going to be off having a rest off season like the drivers, he will be busy working away on next years car with his team.

He also has a collection of historic racing cars which he uses on a regular basis and works with the UL America's Cup Team on the design of AC75.

Back
Top Bottom