Mountain Biking

Soldato
I want to sell my Bos Deville TRC 160's for some Fox forks. I just feel like they are total overkill for my skill level of riding, and they are also a PITA when they break. Is this a good or bad idea?

Soldato
Depends what do you actually want from your forks. I will be sticking with Rockshox for the ease of home servicing.

I want a fork that is easy to adjust. There's too much fine adjustment on the Bos and I am forever wondering if I have it set up correctly. I'm not much of a home mechanic either so want something I can drop off to the bike shop and they can turn it round ASAP. The main thing I like about the Fox is the CTD adjustment. I'm thinking that a Fox 34 Talas 160 would be the best step.

Associate
I want a fork that is easy to adjust. There's too much fine adjustment on the Bos and I am forever wondering if I have it set up correctly. I'm not much of a home mechanic either so want something I can drop off to the bike shop and they can turn it round ASAP. The main thing I like about the Fox is the CTD adjustment. I'm thinking that a Fox 34 Talas 160 would be the best step.

Man up and stick with bos unless you get the new fox 36 or pikes. If bos break or need servicing just send them off the same as you would send off any fork

Associate
Have you ever owned Bos forks and had to send them back for repairs?

Nope, but there service is supposed to be spot on now someone else has took over uk support (is it jungle?)

The fox 34's are supposed to be terrible. The bos you have are supposed to be the best. If you struggle setting them up use google fu to find base settings or even email bos and tune them 1 click at a time till you feel happy.

I would keep the bos and soldier through unless you get pikes or new 36.

Caporegime
Xiaomi just announced their own GoPro clone, I reckon it might be worth keeping an eye on as it'll be nice and cheap.

There was a bit comparative review recently, will try find it...but in short, just buy a Gopro

Cheers, normally I'd be happy to just go with the 'best' but it's a £200 saving for the equivlant go pro! :eek:

Nice Milko, that does indeed look very good!

Soldato
Nope, but there service is supposed to be spot on now someone else has took over uk support (is it jungle?)

The fox 34's are supposed to be terrible. The bos you have are supposed to be the best. If you struggle setting them up use google fu to find base settings or even email bos and tune them 1 click at a time till you feel happy.

I would keep the bos and soldier through unless you get pikes or new 36.

I'd be interested to see what Jungle are like, but if Bos are still messing their distributor around then it might not make much difference, as the main issues were being supplied with tooling and parts.

Soldato
I just buy the cheapest packlite i can find. To keep warm a fleece and thats it, fail to see the point in expensive coats for biking they all get caked in mud, none breath enough to stop you sweating and keep you dry.

Soldato
I want to sell my Bos Deville TRC 160's for some Fox forks. I just feel like they are total overkill for my skill level of riding, and they are also a PITA when they break. Is this a good or bad idea?

Have you ever owned Bos forks and had to send them back for repairs?

hasnt a better company recently taken on BOS servicing?

supercow probably knows.

I've had to send my forks back twice and it's been a ball ache as the company (Surf Sales) has to wait for parts and tools to come from France.

Jungle is on the ball and have all the spares you could want. They are the same outfit that distributes Santa Cruz in the UK (in fact, they are just Santa Cruz UK) and also part of an large online retailer whose name I have now forgotten (I want to say Wiggle but don't that's not right).

I don't understand what you mean by that you can't set them up? The Equivalent Fox (Fox 36) has the very same adjustments.

Low speed compression = You can feel this just in the car park by pushing down. If the forks feel too soft in corners, compressions etc, stiffen it up and vise versa
High Speed compression = Big hits / how fast/ deep the fork travels. If it dives too easily on bigger hits, then add compression and vise versa.
Rebound = Punch yourself in the balls if you don't know what this means.

What do you sit and worry about whether it's set up "right" or not. How do they feel - do the feel good?

With the Pikes, you have rebound, low speed compression and then 3 "higher level of compression" which in effect is lockout, so not simpler than the BOS or Fox. Not saying it's better or worse, but your reason for wanting a change seems a bit silly.

Associate
Wish i knew how to set my forks properly. I havent messed with my mine since i got the bike. There fox 32, so i know not the best, i just dont know what im looking/feeling for to adjust i guess. Although i do think they sink to much on bigger drops.

Back
Top Bottom