Mountain Biking

Soldato
Knocked up this little ride for the other half

Bird AM Boost Frame in Yellow
Hope Headset
Wheels Manufacturing BB-MTB-9
FUNN Chain guide (not needed I know, but finishes off the bike nicer)
Sram X01 1x11 Groupo
MRP Ribbon Air 160mm Boost with custom yellow decals
Hope Pro 4 hubs on Stans Flow MK3 tubeless rims with custom yellow decals
XT 180/160mm brakes
PS Custom clamp for XT and MisMatch Sram Shifter (so one clamp on the right hand side)
MAXXIS High Roller II 2.4 Tubeless
Chromag stem
Sam Hill NukeProof 780mm bars (knocked down to 760mm)
NukeProof Grips
Fox Transfer Dropper

IvjMFyk.jpg

CkpSvAk.jpg

WdaM6iD.jpg

Caporegime
A very attentive brand. Great bike, no complaints so far (I took it for a little spin to adjust sus for her weight and check indexing). Super confidence inspiring

Outstanding build! Some tasty parts there.

Looks lovely. I've got the original, I'm building back up soon :)

Friends away to test the AM9 next week, I'm actually nervous he says it's better than my Aeris. Could get costly!

Associate
Can anyone recommend a good helmet for £100 or under? The strap on the back of mine appears to be gubbed which means the helmet wobbles about on my head! Mostly do trail riding (reds/blacks) so a full-face may be a bit overkill!

Cheers! :D

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good helmet for £100 or under? The strap on the back of mine appears to be gubbed which means the helmet wobbles about on my head! Mostly do trail riding (reds/blacks) so a full-face may be a bit overkill!

Maybe a Poc tectal? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._dm|pcrid|254141219463|pkw||pmt||prd|515820UK

Just got a dropper post fitted to my bike. Looking forward to taking it for a spin on Friday. Was the only think letting the bike down really. (boardman mtr 8.9)

Caporegime

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/giro-montaro-mips-helmet-2017/rp-prod143029

Can only recommend my own, feels great, light airy (I cycle in 35c+, without too much issue), the only issue is the dial on the back is a little small which can be frustrating but barely.

Few friends have the cheaper one, and it's just as good from a quick look.

Soldato
knWA6YiL6AlsLJZPQOuSSUD-f4qIJlN4T6LPuSX9muwHxxvXfqS0CkfQQjpY3igWVTtWcPVFzCc8v4Ewhln2mitBKDJM-1knO1cghoWiQGFUA489nFpoJWn2GgJK6JTYvAMXqf_ZXl5l0Fi2nc1HjkIFMK1ApVQcAVO6B2_DbNYRXHEMgw1zujHYWKTLEYOdQiHhtMKAA-kOvR7MsruMidmJlgbjExQy9srxh7y2NjuPaNAAlfDD-pm59oMrfI1OYKUeEbWcK3YK8leiQg7R9Aa2oFxpz3D1-CmQ3lCtd7-36ycR4VXtKB_7FYzry89gI_gD7MRGkuCJlg3hGkEyeM6Eg7IJhQvSd69NEtpd9Pd4h5KNVvaH-T0wTI0RHH7TC9zpo3liXElf7vpUPTii69Ee-uM557LE0TtUUesFj2j-uu2LrJd7qR9ij0AA8RCkHg_H8tfvNne9OCVWfqwymNHsS2G_Z3drLR5LPqcYfJFUV-rFvzVxTYIpLD1V0ezMMAbGZAhwC2LNxcZrjP6bgGZt-VEEcmJHRco61X4STMnj6DlMuZBcYZjr7sYYNtTj75gtm9yFAydGqhVxsXTXnS82L0fSInId2s8PaH4n-KsLgIJdATaI33rIQzYKjZ3ZCNe4M0t7vfbp6yYH7s_LnbEOXUnawSAZ4YLWO1Sze0oOytJAqThtfIMj=w1299-h974-no

Just been on a ride around local area with my newly fitted the dropper post.

Plan to change decals on the forks and get upgrade the wheelset.

Really happy with the bike. 170mm dropper is great for someone my height.

Soldato
Such a nice looking bike, and at such a great price!

I managed to it for £1261 WITH a 170mm rockshox reverb dropper post. Which is quite insane really. They even fitted the post for me and helitaped all the rub areas I highlighted.

Lots of snobbery around Boardman bikes but when the price is right they are excellent.

I had been looking at spending 2k+ but nothing really justified me paying double what I had managed to achieve.

I don't think they ever intended me to get the bike as cheap as I did. A number of discounts managed to stack and topcashback paid out at £65 yesterday too.

Just finished refreshing my '02 Rockhopper with new wheelset, forks, disc brake conversion, chainset refresh and a few other bits. In the process of getting it all tuned up, but I can't for the life of me get the headset tight. Always a bit of play when applying the front brake and rocking it. Bolt is tight, new star nut in the forks etc. Can only assume the new forks (Rock Shox XC28s) were slightly taller than the Manitou Six's they replace? More spacers, or something else I can try?

TIA!

Caporegime
Just finished refreshing my '02 Rockhopper with new wheelset, forks, disc brake conversion, chainset refresh and a few other bits. In the process of getting it all tuned up, but I can't for the life of me get the headset tight. Always a bit of play when applying the front brake and rocking it. Bolt is tight, new star nut in the forks etc. Can only assume the new forks (Rock Shox XC28s) were slightly taller than the Manitou Six's they replace? More spacers, or something else I can try?

TIA!

Spacers or cut the steerer tube down.

The spacers should (IIRC) be about 2.5mm above the steerer.

I think I've got a 5mm spacer on there from the original setup (Ritchie headset and those awful Manitou forks). From memory I think the stem was sitting about 2-3mm higher than the top of the fork tube top.

Regarding the forks: http://wemakeitsafer.com/MANITOU-Si...-bicycle-suspension-fork-Recall-945989-786310

and from here: http://www.mtbr.com/product/older-categories-bikes/2003-front-shocks/manitou/six.html

First off I weigh 135lb. and the fork is way too soft. Second I hit a two foot jump 2 hours ago, landed blew out the plastic adjuster knob which stripped all of the threads and sent me sliding head first into a very large Pine tree.

Soldato
are you sure its the headset that is loose ?
On my new bike the brake pads move inside the calipers slightly, so I can't use the old method of rocking bike back and forward with the brakes on.

Other than that is the steerer tube on your forks sitting below your stem ?(or spacers if you have them on top)
Is the bottom bearing race fully seated on the forks ?
I had mine not quite seated fully once and after riding for a few minutes it got pushed in to place and I had to re-tighten everything.
Is the starnut pushed down far enough ? the starnut bolt might be reaching the end of its thread before it is fully tight.
Are all the bearings in place and seated correctly (you haven't accidently picked up a bearing form another headset ?)

Soldato
Need a full face solution for a Scotland trip next week. Stuck between Fox Proframe and a Bell Super DH.

The Bell gives me the versatility of being used without the chin strap but the Proframe is about 30-40 quid cheaper.

Leaning towards the Bell because my standard trail helmet is pretty tired so it would give me 2 in 1.

Anyone got any experience of either?

Ske

Ske

Associate
I've got a Bell Super 3 - essentially the same helmet but without the jaw plate. I get on really well with it - had it.. 18 months now, still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom