Mountain Biking

Associate
Ebikes are great, but they surely divide any riding group. If the point of them is the ability to go twice the distance then you can't go on the same group rides anymore. As none of my riding mates has one then I feel I can't (yet).

Associate
I'm usually out ahead on the climbs as it is, so there's no way I could turn up with an ebike and be "allowed" to do the same ride as the rest.

I like the thought of being able to see more countryside and go further in the same timeframe, but that precludes being with non ebikers, and that's the main obstacle, as I don't know anyone with one. (not to mention the cash and justifying another bike...)

Associate
i think I phrased that badly, as no, nobody should dictate over others - but I can see ebikes being problematic within established groups. I'm newish to the area, so have joined a workmate and his mates - so there's about 5-6 of us. Some more serious than others, but we all have a laugh and are unified swearing away on the long climbs etc. As soon as someone turned up with an ebike there would be much p-taking (which is fine), but I could see it could lose an element of camradery, if suddenly that person isn't "suffering" in the same way as the others, if 4 ppl are struggling together in granny gear and 1 person is barely out of breath with their bike whirring like a bee. Hell, it can be demoralising enough to be on a long technical climb and have a random whirr past on an ebike, so if they're part of your group, I can see it being divisive. Sure, you could tow people up a bit, but then they lose a sense of accomplishment by achieving/earning the climb.

I'm not against ebikes, they're great to get less fit (and disabled) people out and enjoying mtb-ing, or to transform the route options to be twice as long (or have double the climbs) etc. But, if you're doing a ride with non ebikers then I (personally) think it's more fun, appealing and team-bonding to all be on non-assisted bikes.

Caporegime
i think I phrased that badly, as no, nobody should dictate over others - but I can see ebikes being problematic within established groups. I'm newish to the area, so have joined a workmate and his mates - so there's about 5-6 of us. Some more serious than others, but we all have a laugh and are unified swearing away on the long climbs etc. As soon as someone turned up with an ebike there would be much p-taking (which is fine), but I could see it could lose an element of camradery, if suddenly that person isn't "suffering" in the same way as the others, if 4 ppl are struggling together in granny gear and 1 person is barely out of breath with their bike whirring like a bee. Hell, it can be demoralising enough to be on a long technical climb and have a random whirr past on an ebike, so if they're part of your group, I can see it being divisive. Sure, you could tow people up a bit, but then they lose a sense of accomplishment by achieving/earning the climb.

I'm not against ebikes, they're great to get less fit (and disabled) people out and enjoying mtb-ing, or to transform the route options to be twice as long (or have double the climbs) etc. But, if you're doing a ride with non ebikers then I (personally) think it's more fun, appealing and team-bonding to all be on non-assisted bikes.

So you just climb with your mates and then do double the distance when you solo it?

Ebikes are taking over for sure! If they weren't so expensive I'd have one right now.

Associate
So you just climb with your mates and then do double the distance when you solo it?

Ebikes are taking over for sure! If they weren't so expensive I'd have one right now.
tbh, I was thinking for solo rides, it could be ace. Atm my rides are usually between 10-20miles with anywhere between ~400-900m climbing (usually about 14miles and 600m climbing after work seems the norm) - sure, there's the odd full day which is over that, but usually we just pop out after work for a few hours. We all slog away and support each other on the climbs and feel like we've earned the descents. So, if I could do 30+ miles without worrying about needing to keep some reserves left in the tank to climb back home then it would be ace. But, I can't justify the cost for solo rides, and feel it would impact the comradery of all panting away together on group rides. In the past a couple of us have talked about them and I think we're all in a similar mindset (and I can't imagine we're alone), hell, recently one of the group picked up a Enduro S-Works, so well into decent ebike price-range, but he agreed that it would solo himself out and would prefer to keep as part of the group.

Couple of things put me off, the price and the weight mostly.
perversely, i think the weight can help. the motor helps with climbing, so you don't notice it there, but when descending it's a greater % of weight closer to the ground, so can handle v well.

Soldato
tbh, I was thinking for solo rides, it could be ace. Atm my rides are usually between 10-20miles with anywhere between ~400-900m climbing (usually about 14miles and 600m climbing after work seems the norm) - sure, there's the odd full day which is over that, but usually we just pop out after work for a few hours. We all slog away and support each other on the climbs and feel like we've earned the descents. So, if I could do 30+ miles without worrying about needing to keep some reserves left in the tank to climb back home then it would be ace. But, I can't justify the cost for solo rides, and feel it would impact the comradery of all panting away together on group rides. In the past a couple of us have talked about them and I think we're all in a similar mindset (and I can't imagine we're alone), hell, recently one of the group picked up a Enduro S-Works, so well into decent ebike price-range, but he agreed that it would solo himself out and would prefer to keep as part of the group.

perversely, i think the weight can help. the motor helps with climbing, so you don't notice it there, but when descending it's a greater % of weight closer to the ground, so can handle v well.
I was thinking more of picking the thing up and carrying it.

Soldato
Hi all, my bike has RockShox Recon (29, 120mm) forks and as I am getting faster, I feel that they are holding me back somewhat and not giving me confidence.

What's the natural upgrade from these?

Caporegime
Hi all, my bike has RockShox Recon (29, 120mm) forks and as I am getting faster, I feel that they are holding me back somewhat and not giving me confidence.

Depends on your budget. Worth considering selling the bike and moving on to something built around 'burlier' forks?

But probably Yaris?

Associate

why's it feel like it's holding you back? sure you've got the rebound and pressure right? Rebound should be as low as possible while still allowing the shock to return for the next decent hit - a lot of people set it too high and then find it feels jarring and saps confidence.

Can a Recon accept tokens? If so then 1 or 2 could help if you're blowing through the travel and the sag is good.

Just thinking it's worth checking/changing the free things (like setup) before spunking for a new shock. Forks aren't cheap, and if it is setup then you could potentially spend a few hundred £ and still have it feel bad (and as you normally need to cut them down to fit you can't return them if you're not happy).

(but, yeah, for their price, Yari shocks are great and I believe have great upgrade potential to effectively become a Lyrik down the line)

Soldato
Thanks for the advice above chaps. I took @Begbie 's advice as I really want something faster and more confidence inspiring when hitting some downhill quite hard, whilst still being able to rag it around on the flats through the woods where I live. I do some long runs as well and, well, I go out with mates and whilst I can keep up, they all have better bikes and I want more bike peen.

Anyway, got a new Whyte 905 2021 model on order. Not out yet but based upon the current 905 V2 reviews go, it should be decent. Should get it in the next couple of weeks. My Boardman Team 29'r will go to the missus (though I will no doubt still use it) and her Voodoo Bizango 2015, my first bike, will become the spare, or for mates when they come over from town. :)

Back
Top Bottom