Mountain Biking

Soldato
My Voodoo Bizango has done fantastically over the last 3 years but now time for an upgrade, isn't surviving bike park days anymore. Pretty sure will be a Bird AM9 but wondering if there is anything else out there for under £3500 that would be worth demoing? I have completely ruled out Whyte as everyone i know that has bought one recently has had no end of issues with them.
Not considering selling the Bizango are you? Or is it needing a lot of love?

Soldato
Wiggle and CRC are the same people which is why their prices are identical.

I know they are the same firm but funnily enough they won't price match each other when they have price discrepancies. I had a chat with their customer service about why body armour on crc was cheaper than it was on wiggle. Yet wiggle had the size I wanted listed in stock. The guy on wiggle refused to match crc price on the item and I had to wait weeks for them to line up.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I know they are the same firm but funnily enough they won't price match each other when they have price discrepancies. I had a chat with their customer service about why body armour on crc was cheaper than it was on wiggle. Yet wiggle had the size I wanted listed in stock. The guy on wiggle refused to match crc price on the item and I had to wait weeks for them to line up.

Well thats just bizarre :p

I have never found any product that isn't perfectly mirrored between the two sites personally but I generally use CRC because I feel like the site is just a bit easier to use.

Soldato
Well thats just bizarre :p

I have never found any product that isn't perfectly mirrored between the two sites personally but I generally use CRC because I feel like the site is just a bit easier to use.

Yeah I had a full conversation with them asking why the a Leatt AirFit body armour was still listed at 150 quid on wiggle and like 300 on crc. I have the transcript in my emails where the guy at wiggle mentioned somethign about different warehouse stock.

I might have just been on end of an error in them maintaining site pricing but they do supposedly have differences in stock as they don't share the same warehouse supposedly.

One additional thing to consider, like when I bought yari, wiggle offered 4 month interest free PayPal when crc didnt.

Last edited:
Soldato
New from wiggle. Crc were same price too. 295 then 10% off code.

They arrived in a clear bag inside box. Brand new.

160 travel boost RC.

Ill put a charger 2.1 damper in eventually

2022 forks? I saw them and almost boought from them but got a pair from bike discount instead. Maybe its was just the image on the site but they looked like 2020 forks going off the decals. Also got a tyre from bike discount with was another reason for buying from them. They won't post to the UK unless you spend more than £176! Thanks a lot brexit :rolleyes:

Soldato
2022 forks? I saw them and almost boought from them but got a pair from bike discount instead. Maybe its was just the image on the site but they looked like 2020 forks going off the decals. Also got a tyre from bike discount with was another reason for buying from them. They won't post to the UK unless you spend more than £176! Thanks a lot brexit :rolleyes:

Nah they were 2020 forks. I've not looked into differences vs a 2022 fork but at £265 I couldn't resist. I'll stick a charger 2.1 damper in later and its pretty much a lyrik.

Soldato
Tbh I don't think their is a massive different. Some tweaks to the air spring etc. I got a 2022 Yari and a Schwalbe Big Betty Super Trail from Bike Discount for about £380-390 after import taxes. Was hoping to avoid the taxes but I don't think you can now thanks to brexit :mad: My plan was to put in a charger 2.1 damper pretty much straight away but tbh I think I will wait a bit as I don't think the motion control damper is as bad a people let you believe

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, Brexit has been a right PITA. I used to get almost all my stuff from Germany for about 2/3rds the price it would be in the UK. Very annoying, especially coupled with the supply issues for bike parts over the past 2 years.

Soldato
Yeah, Brexit has been a right PITA. I used to get almost all my stuff from Germany for about 2/3rds the price it would be in the UK. Very annoying, especially coupled with the supply issues for bike parts over the past 2 years.
Tell me about it, still waiting for a frame. At this rate I may as well wait for the next MY version.

Soldato
So trailbike needs a new headset. I've always gone with Cane Creek as they make nice headset. DH bike bike has a CC 110 and its lovely. But trail have needs an IS42/IS52 headset and was thinking maybe giving hope a try. Partly because its a little cheaper and party because they are made in the UK it might handle the mud and slop better...? maybe? Anyway would you get a Cane Creek Hellbender 70 or Hope headset? CC is £75 and hope with pick n mix cups to £60-65 i think.

Soldato
So trailbike needs a new headset. I've always gone with Cane Creek as they make nice headset. DH bike bike has a CC 110 and its lovely. But trail have needs an IS42/IS52 headset and was thinking maybe giving hope a try. Partly because its a little cheaper and party because they are made in the UK it might handle the mud and slop better...? maybe? Anyway would you get a Cane Creek Hellbender 70 or Hope headset? CC is £75 and hope with pick n mix cups to £60-65 i think.
I like the Hopes for their seal on the lower cup keeps the filth out so much better.
Never had any issues with mine and had then for as long as they've been making them.

Associate
what's the bike? I had a "lot" of fun changing the headset on my 2017 carbon YT Jeffsy and that's listed as IS42/52 too.

I'm trying to remember the details and will try to go through emails and purchases to see if I can remember what went wrong...

my year's Jeffsy came with an Acros is42/52 and over the years I'd gone through a couple, so I thought I'd spend a bit more and go for a "better" make, so went with a CC Hellbender 70...

BUT... for some amazing reason... the CC is52 bearing is only 6.5mm thick (Acros is 7mm) - this meant the fork hit the bottom of the frame when it rotated... So, I had to knock off the fork's crown ring and fit a 0.5mm shim/spacer under it (at the time I spotted that CC even sell an elongated crown ring, presumably as enough other ppl get this problem with their thinner bearings - but it wasn't available at the time).

So, now I had the bottom bearing sorted, ace... But, it wasn't the end of it...

Top bearing in and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to sit nicely. The only way to remove play was to crank down the topcap so tight the steerer wouldn't turn... So, I pulled it apart and had a look... Again, the bearings sat too low, so I had to find some more shim spacers - what a surprise, CC offer these too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cane-Creek-Inch-Headset-0-25/dp/B005MK3ZXM
I emailed CC a few times with all these issues and they said it was a known issue for Specialized bikes, so they'll add YT to their list... This was in Jan '21 and funnily they've now got a FAQ about this dated Feb '21: https://canecreekhelp.freshdesk.com...how-and-when-to-use-shim-spacers-for-headsets - I honestly wasn't impressed that a premium headset didn't come with those shims (especially when they admit it was a known issue for some v popular makes).

I found I could now ride, but after a couple hours on the bike I could hear a knock - then a bit more I could feel some slight play... Something wasn't right. I can't completely remember the issue though - I think it was something to do with the angled contact faces on the CC bearing - I seem to remember it being a fancy design with 2 angles, one for 45° and another angle for a different spec (guess 36°?) - either way, it resulted in a tiny contact area in my frame and not enough to sit nicely. So ended up buying a 42mm Ritchey WCS Headset Bearing as an experiment (and it was a fiver) and it fitted solid and worked with the CC headset and not looked back since...

moral of the story - CC heatsets are a mess with the older design carbon Jeffsy... (and would have saved half the cash, and about a month of messing about, by going back to Acros again).

Soldato
what's the bike? I had a "lot" of fun changing the headset on my 2017 carbon YT Jeffsy and that's listed as IS42/52 too.

I'm trying to remember the details and will try to go through emails and purchases to see if I can remember what went wrong...

my year's Jeffsy came with an Acros is42/52 and over the years I'd gone through a couple, so I thought I'd spend a bit more and go for a "better" make, so went with a CC Hellbender 70...

BUT... for some amazing reason... the CC is52 bearing is only 6.5mm thick (Acros is 7mm) - this meant the fork hit the bottom of the frame when it rotated... So, I had to knock off the fork's crown ring and fit a 0.5mm shim/spacer under it (at the time I spotted that CC even sell an elongated crown ring, presumably as enough other ppl get this problem with their thinner bearings - but it wasn't available at the time).

So, now I had the bottom bearing sorted, ace... But, it wasn't the end of it...

Top bearing in and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to sit nicely. The only way to remove play was to crank down the topcap so tight the steerer wouldn't turn... So, I pulled it apart and had a look... Again, the bearings sat too low, so I had to find some more shim spacers - what a surprise, CC offer these too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cane-Creek-Inch-Headset-0-25/dp/B005MK3ZXM
I emailed CC a few times with all these issues and they said it was a known issue for Specialized bikes, so they'll add YT to their list... This was in Jan '21 and funnily they've now got a FAQ about this dated Feb '21: https://canecreekhelp.freshdesk.com...how-and-when-to-use-shim-spacers-for-headsets - I honestly wasn't impressed that a premium headset didn't come with those shims (especially when they admit it was a known issue for some v popular makes).

I found I could now ride, but after a couple hours on the bike I could hear a knock - then a bit more I could feel some slight play... Something wasn't right. I can't completely remember the issue though - I think it was something to do with the angled contact faces on the CC bearing - I seem to remember it being a fancy design with 2 angles, one for 45° and another angle for a different spec (guess 36°?) - either way, it resulted in a tiny contact area in my frame and not enough to sit nicely. So ended up buying a 42mm Ritchey WCS Headset Bearing as an experiment (and it was a fiver) and it fitted solid and worked with the CC headset and not looked back since...

moral of the story - CC heatsets are a mess with the older design carbon Jeffsy... (and would have saved half the cash, and about a month of messing about, by going back to Acros again).

Thanks for the heads up. My friend had similar issues with his YT Tues, the previous shape that had an integraded headset. I don't think he ever changed the headset but the stock Acros headset alwayed seem to work loose and knock etc. Thankfully when I got the current shape carbon Tues they changed to a standard zero stack headset. Ive had no issues other than the stock Acros headset being a bit rubbish so that got swapped out sharpish :)

My trailbike is an Orbea Occam. I know other people who have fitted the CC Hellbender to their Occams and haven't reported issues. I'm a little surprised it doesn't come with the shims included though as they are meant so take up any intollerances between frame and headset. The Hope headset comes with 3 for example.

Other than the issues you had installing the Hellbender, how would you rate the sealing for the IS design?

Soldato
Hey up. Wondering if anyone can recommend a budget fork for my calibre two cubed?
It's a 27.5 9mm qr.

What is your budget?

Do anyone run or tried a one by 12 speed setup but with the 45t cassette rather than the usual 51/52t. Got a shimano set up at the mo with 32t chainring and 51t cassette. Thinking of changing the cassette to 10-45t as it needs changing anyway and I never use the 51t sprocket. Second sprocket on my current set up is 45t and thats all I need for everything ive ridden on the bike so far. The way I see it is the 10-45t will be lighter, quieter and shift crisper thanks to closer range.

Associate
What is your budget?

Do anyone run or tried a one by 12 speed setup but with the 45t cassette rather than the usual 51/52t. Got a shimano set up at the mo with 32t chainring and 51t cassette. Thinking of changing the cassette to 10-45t as it needs changing anyway and I never use the 51t sprocket. Second sprocket on my current set up is 45t and thats all I need for everything ive ridden on the bike so far. The way I see it is the 10-45t will be lighter, quieter and shift crisper thanks to closer range.

My budget is approx £250.... I have been toying with idea of purchasing from ebay but not sure

Back
Top Bottom