Mountain Biking

Associate
Not going to go naming any names yet as the seller hasn't had a chance to respond. To be honest I'd be perfectly happy with a replacement cassette posting out and I can fit it myself, the bearings being open mean they're going to need cleaning out regularly anyway so that'll just become a maintenance thing until I get a new sealed bearing headset.

Soldato
Not going to go naming any names yet as the seller hasn't had a chance to respond. To be honest I'd be perfectly happy with a replacement cassette posting out and I can fit it myself, the bearings being open mean they're going to need cleaning out regularly anyway so that'll just become a maintenance thing until I get a new sealed bearing headset.

From what you have said they need to be named and shamed. Sending a bike out that is supposedly built up but the stem bolts aren't tight them just simply dangerous.

It probably is bent but does the cassette wobble at all? If it does check the cassette lockring as could be lose causing the sprockets to look bent if the cassette is made up of individual sprockets

Associate
The bend is only in one space covering about 8 teeth, the rest of the sprocket is perfectly straight in line with the others.

Like I said I'll wait and see what they say regarding a replacement, I have the tools to get a cassette off as part of my maintenance kit so there wouldn't be any cost to replace it, and it'd be a whole lot easier for both parties than sending the bike back.

Soldato
Look away @mrk :p

Short but very middy ride this morning

We've had bad floods and the slop is a real mix of mediums which appear to love to stick to anything - it kept clogging up the drive train and forcing the chain off :(

Spot the tyre
IMG-20210130-100018.jpg

IMG-20210130-100312.jpg

IMG-20210130-103159.jpg

IMG-20210130-100315.jpg

Even once I got going and got home she was still a little claggy

IMG-20210130-103005.jpg

Quick jet wash

IMG-20210130-104902.jpg

And she hadn't been cleaned for the last few rides and a good build up of patina on the chain :D:p

So whipped it off for a white spirit bath

IMG-20210130-105348.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's too much mud! I've come to teh conclusion that I don't ejoy riding in the rain or severe conditions. Nothing worse than trying to see whilst wading through sideways rain - Done that a few times now and it's not fun. Much prefer dry mud and gravel and dust etc of a trail than wet stuff!

As for gloves, I got these recently and they're brilliant, lightweight but also windproof:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GHGD82D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soldato
That's too much mud! I've come to teh conclusion that I don't ejoy riding in the rain or severe conditions. Nothing worse than trying to see whilst wading through sideways rain - Done that a few times now and it's not fun. Much prefer dry mud and gravel and dust etc of a trail than wet stuff!

As for gloves, I got these recently and they're brilliant, lightweight but also windproof:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GHGD82D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They're a lot more reasonably priced than I was expecting given the limited research I've done on winter mtb gloves!

Might have to give them a try for that money.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It was a no brainer for that money realty, for reference I had these gloves before them and whilst they are fine for normal use like walking etc in close to zero degree temps, when riding the wind got through and slowly my fingers were freezing up!

The other ones however have no such issue.

Soldato
What do you guys use for gloves at this time of the year? I'd be looking to get something sufficiently warm which will keep the wind off.
100% Brisker Gloves. Not waterproof but they do a waterproof version, never had cold hands to be honest with you even in some bloody cold wind here in Wales recently. They get wet obviously in rain but not had cold fingers as a result. Depends how much riding you do in wet weather as to whether y ou think you may need the waterproof version but for the money the Brisker gloves are awesome.

Associate
The one thing I didn't like about the 100% brisker gloves was the thin material between the fingers which lets in cold wind.
I was wearing those in the autumn, but with the recent drop in temps ive been wearing Specialized Element 1.0 gloves, which have kept my fingers warm during my commute.

Soldato
Find my oldest sealskinz are best for when it's really horrible, or rapba deep winters for when it's bloody cold with a dhb liner for when it's really really cold.

Caporegime
100% Brisker Gloves. Not waterproof but they do a waterproof version, never had cold hands to be honest with you even in some bloody cold wind here in Wales recently. They get wet obviously in rain but not had cold fingers as a result. Depends how much riding you do in wet weather as to whether y ou think you may need the waterproof version but for the money the Brisker gloves are awesome.

I just got the waterproof briskers. Outstanding glove. Handy when you crash, touch snow etc as your hands don't get cold. Can't recommend them enough. I think just about everyone I ride with has a pair now.

Back
Top Bottom