Mountain Biking

Soldato
Lil snippet of DyFi this weekend gone

And our Hamsterley night ride.

Both mega fun, get some lights and go for a night ride. it's bonkers!

Soldato
Did you do Slab Track and those new tracks I keep seeing on YouTube? Need to go back to Dyfi soon

No mate I'm really not that good a rider. Didn't do the drops or gaps on racetrack either, will build up to them, plenty more visits to dyfi in the future for certain. I did do the drop at the start of swooper, bigger than it looks on the vids.

Thinking back it was probably the perfect day to try slab as the trails were bone dry, fast and grippy. Think it's the only reason I made it down racetrack in one piece.

Turns in the ferns is mega fast. Didn't do the new new one, fire in the booth, but that's supposedly the steepest gnarliest track there so I doubt I'll ever do it lol. They were building another down by slab when we were there, could see them with the diggers. Probs ready in 3-6 months.

Insane place though. The trails are just so well built.

Soldato
No mate I'm really not that good a rider. Didn't do the drops or gaps on racetrack either, will build up to them, plenty more visits to dyfi in the future for certain. I did do the drop at the start of swooper, bigger than it looks on the vids.

Thinking back it was probably the perfect day to try slab as the trails were bone dry, fast and grippy. Think it's the only reason I made it down racetrack in one piece.

Turns in the ferns is mega fast. Didn't do the new new one, fire in the booth, but that's supposedly the steepest gnarliest track there so I doubt I'll ever do it lol. They were building another down by slab when we were there, could see them with the diggers. Probs ready in 3-6 months.

Insane place though. The trails are just so well built.

Turns in the Ferms wasnt there when I want last June, does look good though. I think its Fire in the Booth, new triple black diamond trail. Seen videos of Brandon Fairclough riding it, looks hard! You did a good job at riding the last part of Race Track (the bit a lot of the trails seem to join onto at the end). Parts of that section are a lot harder than they look on video!

Soldato
Turns in the ferns is deceptively fast, probably the fastest trail I've hit. the "little" drop, the one you can take instead of a berm, looks just like a lip, is actually massive - vids make it look tiny but it's way bigger than anything on race track. and the shoot / ramp afterwards sends you flying. Really fun track but those bits catch you off guard, gopro effect in full swing on those.

Soldato
Turns in the ferns is deceptively fast, probably the fastest trail I've hit. the "little" drop, the one you can take instead of a berm, looks just like a lip, is actually massive - vids make it look tiny but it's way bigger than anything on race track. and the shoot / ramp afterwards sends you flying. Really fun track but those bits catch you off guard, gopro effect in full swing on those.

Sounds good, gonna have to arrange another Dyfi trip with the boys :D

Associate
Decided to give an air shock a go in place of the coil currently on the bike - frame linkage is very linear so a coil isn't ideal.

67051899389-428-D572-E-F93-C-47-DE-B9-EE-60525-AE7-A76-C.jpg

Associate
You can get progressive springs.
None in the weight ranges I needed for the geometry/weight combo unfortunately, was riding a 700lb linear coil and the heaviest progressive I could find was 550-670.

I loved how the coil just felt like the back end was floating over everything but the air shock suits a bit better for composure.

On that note, Stiniog on Monday and I'm equally hyped and apprehensive :p Certainly should be a mega day out, though I doubt I'll be happy riding the slab at the start of Black Powder just yet!

Soldato
Me and my mate rode Adrenalin Ae yesterday. That was an experience lol, we weren't prepared for that. Shredder was nice, huge road gap and an option to take a big drop at the top. Couldn't find my balls to hit any of it, just too big for me currently. The downhill track was pretty terrifying, dunno how I didn't come off on the steep rock gardens, very nearly did twice hah. The second half of it had a huge gap, then went down and eventually toward a 10-12ft stepdown. There was a bunch of 11 year olds there full sending the whole thing, fearless little *******.

The terrains brutal too. Very big loose rocks that just slap your back tire about the trail. Be back but likely in a year, need to progress to properly appreciate that level of downhill, so out of our depth :D

Soldato
Not ridden AE in a long time. Probably over 10 years ago now but the DH track used to be really good, bet its changed a lot now though. By the huge gap do you mean the Coffin Jump? (gap was to the left with chicken line to the right) and the step down just before the large berms towards the bottom? I have a nice crash on the step down when I went last, walked away and hit it again though :p

Associate
Can safely say that Stiniog is mega fun and well worth a visit. No offs either, which is always a bonus and the weather was perfect. Happy enough that I managed to keep upright on the techy ones riding clipped in, by far the rowdiest terrain I've tackled yet.

Feeling it in the quads and arms today mind you!

Last edited:
Soldato
Can safely say that Stiniog is mega fun and well worth a visit. No offs either, which is always a bonus and the weather was perfect. Happy enough that I managed to keep upright on the techy ones riding clipped in, by far the rowdiest terrain I've tackled yet.

Feeling it in the quads and arms today mind you!

Stiniog is one of my favourite uplifts. Good trails and pretty short uplift. Did you tackle the slab/steep rocks at the start of Black Powder?

Back
Top Bottom