Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Associate
I recently moved back to Android on a Pixel 4. I'm really loving it. I had been slowly moving ecosystems from Apple to Google so it made sense for me to swap phones too. Some observations:

- I don't miss iMessage, WhatsApp is used by everyone I know and it's platform agnostic. I run the Windows client so I can respond to messages on my Desktop.
- I much prefer Google Photos and Google ecosystem in general. Apple is good if you have all apple devices, but accessing Apple stuff on Windows isn't that great. Love Google Drive.
- Managing notifications on Android is delicious. It's an important area for smartphones as you triage and interact with a lot of notifications throughout the day.
- Privacy isn't an issue with Google. People get pretty bend out of shape on the idea of Google having your data, but back in real life Google knowing I like sports supplements so they serve me an ad makes zero difference.
- Google Assistant > Siri
- Dat Pixel camera is a dream to use.

Cheers for this. Nice to see you're enjoying the move back so far.

Soldato
@TheOracleiphone 12 is due soon ish so i might make my way back to ios with an 11 if they drop in price.

iOS 14 is fine, but nothing to get excited about. You get a nice password warning if your details for a website got leaked and some other privacy bits and bobs are promised. Widgets aren't very interesting. All-in-all, iOS is in a good way, just like Android is in a good way.

Soldato
OP
@TheOracle now youve had some extended time back with IOS how you finding it?

iphone 12 is due soon ish so i might make my way back to ios with an 11 if they drop in price.

Well.....depends on how detailed a reply you want. During lockdown I have gone a bit mad with testing various pieces of technology and consider myself firmly in both camps. It's not so much a question of which is better between ios or android, or even one phone against another, rather what your requirements are, and which ecosystem is best suited to those requirements.

Since March, I have purchased (or already purchased and been using):

iPhone XS (my works phone)
iPhone 11 (iOS13)
Oneplus 8 (Android 11)
2 x Oneplus Nords (Android 10)
Samsung Galaxy S20 5G (OneUI 2.5) < My fav

Airpods
Oneplus Buds
Samsung Buds < My fav
Many, many others!

Ipad Pro 2020 with Magic Keyboard (iOS14)
Samsung Tab A7 2020 (the one released last week)
Samsung Tab S6 OLED 8gb/256gb with Samsung Keyboard < My fav, that OLED screen!
Samsung Tab S7 LCD
Samsung Tab S7+ OLED with Samsung Keyboard

Apple Watch Series 5
Samsung Galaxy Watch

Apple Macbook Air 2020
Dell XPS 15 OLED 2019 (replaced a surface laptop 3)

Apple TV 4k
Google Chromecast
Amazon Firestick 4k

Apple Homepod < My fav (but limited to apple music and siri is stupid, sounds awesome tho)
Amazon Echo & Dots
Google Nest Minis
Google Nest Outdoor IQ Cameras
Google Nest Smoke Alarms / Nest Thermostat with Nest Aware subscription

Apple Homekit / Google Home / Amazon Alexa / Philips Hue

Apple Music / Youtube Premium / Spotify
Microsoft O365 with 1tb Onedrive / Google One / Apple iCloud / Amazon Prime Cloud / Samsung Cloud(Now Microsoft Onedrive)

The apple ecosystem is refined, stable, yet still in my opinion limited. The google ecosystem is better in lots of ways, but it's not super polished. It's getting close though. The things I like about google is that you get a lot of cool stuff, and everything is easily accessible anywhere you are, and on any device. You can't say the same for Apple. If I'm at work on my Windows PC, I can access everything I want from the chrome browser, but not so with Apple. You can't access homekit for example, but I can see and access all of my google home devices from the web.

There's no facetime on apple TV, yet google are just about to launch a new chromecast (running google tv) with google duo support. Might not be a thing for a lot of people, but I kinda see how it would work well for my family.

The biggest standout for me recently has been samsung. I've never really been a fan, but they have made massive improvements lately. They have been losing the bloat, and rumours are that bixby might be being killed off. They certainly don't ram it down your throat like they used to. The tablets are fantastic though, especially dex. Plus they are also bringing a lot of onedrive integrations over the next few months, so great if your a PC user. You can pretty much do away with a laptop. You can download torrents, and microsoft remote desktop works with any keyboard or mouse unlike on ios. The only way to get it working on ios is via a £100 citrix bluetooth mouse....and it's supposed to be crap. None of my works VPNs were complatible with the ipad either, yet on the samsung they all worked. I can pretty much do everything on the samsung tablet. The iPad still isn't quite there yet. That said, third party apps are nearly always better on ipads than android tablets. To be honest, I don't find this an issue as I'm really using it more like an android laptop doing 99% of things through the chrome browser. Samsung apps are really great though, especially samsung notes which is soon to sync into onenote. Samsung has that apple like spit and polish. If you have a samsung phone and tablet, the phone and messages work between each other like they do on apple.

Talking about samsung, you can still play fortnite via the samsung store and unlike ios devices, android gets game streaming via xbox xcloud and stadia.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The big question is, what have you settled on?

I find myself loving aspects of both Apple and Google (and non Apple hardware) and cannot find a sweet spot without buying too much hardware.

Soldato
no specific questions, i guess im just torn and cant decide either way. thanks for the detailed reply.

on the android the Nord is about the only phone im looking at. and apple its the iphone 11 (although now isnt the time to buy that)

the nord seems solid for the price and half that (rrp) as the iphone.

ive had numerous revisions of the apple watch in the past and loved them. i always wore watches, but since taking off the apple watch ive not put another back on.

no android watch has taken my fancy in regards to just working. all the reviews seem to do is put me off. i guess thats one reason i quite fancy going back to ios. plus my ipad is a 1st gen ipad mini which im planning on upgrading soon (will be to an ipad) so ive always still had my toe dipped in despite being an android phone user for a number of years.

im just waffling now. im very much on the fence with both and appreciate they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Soldato
OP
The big question is, what have you settled on?

I find myself loving aspects of both Apple and Google (and non Apple hardware) and cannot find a sweet spot without buying too much hardware.

I think between now and Christmas I'll end up selling a lot of the apple stuff. The nest products just work too well together, and I can't give up the Samsung tablet. It's one of those devices which just gets the job done.

Personally, for me.....the best products out of all that lot is the Galaxy S20 and Tab S6. I'll be buying the new chromecast (hopefully they are out tomorrow during the google home event) and then will be having a big clearout.

Soldato
OP
no specific questions, i guess im just torn and cant decide either way. thanks for the detailed reply.

on the android the Nord is about the only phone im looking at. and apple its the iphone 11 (although now isnt the time to buy that)

ive had numerous revisions of the apple watch in the past and loved them. i always wore watches, but since taking off the apple watch ive not put another back on.

no android watch has taken my fancy in regards to just working. all the reviews seem to do is put me off. i guess thats one reason i quite fancy going back to ios. plus my ipad is a 1st gen ipad mini which im planning on upgrading soon (will be to an ipad) so ive always still had my toe dipped in despite being an android phone user for a number of years.

im just waffling now. im very much on the fence with both and appreciate they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

There's no right or wrong answer. If you enjoy the apple watch, and will be getting a new ipad, I would probably go for the iPhone.

That said, if you weren't.......and it was plainly down to the phones, I'd pick the nord.

Apple are light years ahead with the watches. I've had various android wear watches, they are all absolute crap. The samsungs good, but it's no apple watch.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea the Nest stuff is really good, I have 2 Home hubs, 4 minis and hello, it works so well. Google assistant blows Siri away. In the living room and my office I have Sonos which again hooks into Google home flawlessly.

Soldato

The OP 8T is likely to end up the same ballpark price as the iPhone 11 (even assuming a price drop for the latter). Is there any reason you aren't weighing up a OP phone that's comparably priced to the iPhone 11?

Also, the new iPhone 12 (6.1" non pro) should have OLED and might end up within touching distance of the standard 11's price.

Soldato
OP
Yea the Nest stuff is really good, I have 2 Home hubs, 4 minis and hello, it works so well. Google assistant blows Siri away. In the living room and my office I have Sonos which again hooks into Google home flawlessly.

Yeah, and once the new chromecast is out it will be better again. Not sure if you've seen google TV in action, but it's very cool. If you have the nest hello, it will popup the video feed on top of google TV (even if your watching netflix).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I haven't seen anything on Google TV, I guess they will reveal it tomorrow at the event? I'm not that impressed with Apple TV tbh, my LG C8 has better apps.

Soldato
OP
I haven't seen anything on Google TV, I guess they will reveal it tomorrow at the event? I'm not that impressed with Apple TV tbh, my LG C8 has better apps.

There's a few leaked videos around, and wallmart jumped the gun and sold a load, so a few people have managed to get them. It's a massive upgrade over the original chromecast. It's more like an nvidia shield, but for £50.

I hate the apple TV. It does nothing for me. It's a bit like the watch really. I'm sure it's fantastic for a lot of people, but I only used it as a stopwatch :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
There's a few leaked videos around, and wallmart jumped the gun and sold a load, so a few people have managed to get them. It's a massive upgrade over the original chromecast. It's more like an nvidia shield, but for £50.

My wife will be happy, she loves Google. Flat out refuses to use Apple TV :p

Soldato
The OP 8T is likely to end up the same ballpark price as the iPhone 11 (even assuming a price drop for the latter). Is there any reason you aren't weighing up a OP phone that's comparably priced to the iPhone 11?

Also, the new iPhone 12 (6.1" non pro) should have OLED and might end up within touching distance of the standard 11's price.
as silly as it sounds its just down to cost.

i like the price point of the nord and would rather pay this for a phone.

the iphone SE is out of the question as its too small and the XR is too old so the only obvious choice is the 11 which is just more expensive to buy anyways. i dont mind paying more for apple products as they hold their value a lot more than a comparible priced android.

if i was going with apple id wait til the new ones are out and either get the poverty spec 12 or it should drive down the 11's price.

Associate
As I've made the recent iPhone to Pixel switch, I'm definitely living a split life these days.

I love iOS 14 on my iPad Pro. The widgets (while might not have the usability that the Android ones do) are great. They've nailed the look of them (the official ones anyway-the Shortcut themed ones everywhere are trash) and look far more polished than the Android ones.

Apple TV has been part of the house for years now so to lose it in favour of the new Chromecast (which I will probably pick up tomorrow) when it doesn't have the full quota of UK Catchup apps (no All 4 app) that the ATV has acquired over the duration of the 4th Gen/4K's existence would be hard to give up.

Also given that it's me that's switched while everyone on both sides of the family have iPhones, you'd wonder why I even bothered moving over!

But to counter that, the Pixel is amazing. The camera is the best I've ever had in a phone. The Home stuff is great. We got a Nest Cam for the baby's room and have a Nest Hub in our bedroom and a Nest Mini in our eldest daughters room. The Home integration is miles better than Homekit.

We also have Sonos gear for the living room and kitchen so that also plays nicely with Google Assistant.

I'm enjoying the move so far but I will say that Android does lack a bit of refinement compared to iOS.

Associate
Been using my IPhone 11 since August. And I’m really enjoying it. It works perfectly well, syncs to my iPad Pro perfectly. I do however use google photos rather than iOS photos. the battery life is phenomenal compared to S9. Easily 1.5 days before it needs charging with 10 hours sot. Battery drain overnight is 1% compared to 8-12%. Mostly a good experience.
However I do miss the simplicity of using one USB C plug for my iPad and phone, the AKG headphones that come with Samsung phones is vastly superior than the EarPods that don’t stay in my ears. I miss the oled screen but the next iPhones are due oled across the range.
But my big thing is I really want to use the Xbox Gamepass cloud streaming service but unable to on iOS.

I’m due a upgrade in June next year so will be a toss up between a Samsung and the iPhone 12.

Back
Top Bottom