Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
Lol. No. If somebody has never used an iPhone before why would they switch just because Apple are offering a cheaper version? I certainly wouldn't switch as I don't like IOS at all.

Maybe they want a smaller phone with decent hardware? Maybe they want the phone which has the most powerful mobile chipset on the market?

Maybe they want a phone which gets OS timely updates and is supported for longer than a couple of years.

There are certainly features which the SE2 offers that your won't get in a £400 Android handset.​

Associate
So I'm trying an iPhone this week and one thing is driving me mad at the moment, the RAM management. I have a Google Podcasts playing, but when the screen goes off, it stops playing within a few seconds. Turn the screen back on and it starts playing again. I can't see anything in settings about not managing certain apps. Any tips?

FWIW, I just put a pod on using Google Podcasts, turned the screen off and it continued playing with no pauses. This is using an iPhone XS.

Soldato
iOS is a better operating system than android. The Apple ecosystem of devices is better than anyone else’s. It also means you can completely get rid of google out of your life. No more supporting their anti-competitive business practices. So a switch to Apple is both an ethical and practical upgrade.

Your opinion of course regarding ios. I personally think Android is the better operating system. Whenever I try ios it's a step backward and I don't like the closed way that it runs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe they want a smaller phone with decent hardware? Maybe they want the phone which has the most powerful mobile chipset on the market?

Maybe they want a phone which gets OS timely updates and is supported for longer than a couple of years.

There are certainly features which the SE2 offers that your won't get in a £400 Android handset.​

Honestly, they would probably more likely look at a Pixel 3a. That fits everything you ask for, bar a top end chipset, but ss has been discussed in many threads, the average person doesn't know or care about specs. People not so fussed by iOS/Android, yeah, the SE would definitely be considered, but if we're looking at someone that has never used iOS, I don't believe it's a big enough draw to pull most over.

Soldato
Honestly, they would probably more likely look at a Pixel 3a. That fits everything you ask for, bar a top end chipset, but ss has been discussed in many threads, the average person doesn't know or care about specs. People not so fussed by iOS/Android, yeah, the SE would definitely be considered, but if we're looking at someone that has never used iOS, I don't believe it's a big enough draw to pull most over.
The average consumer has never heard of the Pixel 3a :p look at its sales figures, it's a super niche handset (as with all the pixels). More likely to buy some terrible Samsung handset...

I do think a lot of people are locked in at this point, a slightly cheaper phone might not do much do make people switch ecosystems.

Soldato
The average consumer has never heard of the Pixel 3a :p look at its sales figures, it's a super niche handset (as with all the pixels). More likely to buy some terrible Samsung handset...

I do think a lot of people are locked in at this point, a slightly cheaper phone might not do much do make people switch ecosystems.

The stats show people are locked in with fewer than 10% switching between platforms. Interestingly when I last saw the stats it was android users who were more locked in than iOS users. Goes against the common wisdom of how ‘open’ Google’s platform really is.

Associate
The stats show people are locked in with fewer than 10% switching between platforms. Interestingly when I last saw the stats it was android users who were more locked in than iOS users. Goes against the common wisdom of how ‘open’ Google’s platform really is.

The openness I’d say is more down to the customisation choices and freedom to choose your default apps as opposed to the iOS way of doing things.

Soldato
Your opinion of course regarding ios. I personally think Android is the better operating system. Whenever I try ios it's a step backwsrd and I don't like the closed way that it runs.

+1.

I use iOS and Android every day and find that iOS is more restrictive and can annoy me at times. I was a long time sole iOS user up untill a few years ago when I made the jump to Android and I am glad I did so.

Associate
No, definitely the unimportant fluff.
The apps are your interface with your phone.
Without the apps a smartphone would be useless.
I've used apps that come with a phone and have found ones I prefer,ones that do what I want,better.
However I accept most phone users,of both OSs,stick with whatever is loaded when they buy it and add a few that aren't,like WhatsApp

Soldato
The apps are your interface with your phone.
Without the apps a smartphone would be useless.
I've used apps that come with a phone and have found ones I prefer,ones that do what I want,better.
However I accept most phone users,of both OSs,stick with whatever is loaded when they buy it and add a few that aren't,like WhatsApp

A good smartphone will have the apps that meet your basic needs out of the box (email, browser, text messages, maps etc).

If your smartphone doesn’t come with those out of the box then the phone manufacturer has failed pretty spectacularly. Again, as a tech enthusiast I expect a well designed product that meets my needs. I shouldn’t have to start jumping through hoops to replace the basic functionality of the device.

Associate
A good smartphone will have the apps that meet your basic needs out of the box (email, browser, text messages, maps etc).

If your smartphone doesn’t come with those out of the box then the phone manufacturer has failed pretty spectacularly. Again, as a tech enthusiast I expect a well designed product that meets my needs. I shouldn’t have to start jumping through hoops to replace the basic functionality of the device.
You don't sound like a tech enthusiast,just your typical phone user and even moreso when it comes to iphones.
You'll never be convinced that anything other than apple/ios is a good choice

Associate

Absolute rubbish.

Of course every phone comes with perfectly acceptable apps that can be used out of the box for every use. Thats not the issue. Android offers that extra level of customisation that some people want. How can I see that being heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and you can’t?

Can I use iMessage? Of course. But with WhatsApp and its cross platform capabilities, is it preferred and used over said iMessage? Yes.

Soldato
Absolute rubbish.

Of course every phone comes with perfectly acceptable apps that can be used out of the box for every use. Thats not the issue. Android offers that extra level of customisation that some people want. How can I see that being heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and you can’t?

Can I use iMessage? Of course. But with WhatsApp and its cross platform capabilities, is it preferred and used over said iMessage? Yes.

Smartphones are tools, not toys.

Soldato
iOS is a better operating system than android. The Apple ecosystem of devices is better than anyone else’s. It also means you can completely get rid of google out of your life. No more supporting their anti-competitive business practices. So a switch to Apple is both an ethical and practical upgrade.

You're casting your opinions as facts, and your preferences as those that are shared by everyone else.

Completely agree that Apple has a better array of devices as anyone interested in tablets or wearables, are better off with Apple in my opinion. However, not everybody feels the need to remove Google from their life - especially considering that Google has over 90% share of search, Chrome on Desktop (so excludes any argument about it being pre-installed) has nearly 70% market share. That would suggest to me that the majority do not share your concerns about Google's business practices. This is even before you take into consideration that I have Google wide controls over all my data within three clicks on Android (Google App, more, your data in search) - not only can I delete the data, I can control what's collected across Web & App Activity, voice and audio, app info and contact info.

Also ethical business practices don't really exist in large corporations, Apple included. They like to try and be perceived as ethical but when your products are made at Foxconn factories with terrible working conditions and high suicide rates, you can't exactly sing from the rooftops about being ethical. What about e-waste? Apple create more than their fair share by making repairs difficult so they can sell you a complete new main board by soldering components to the PCB, components that are usually installed via a socket and in some instances, have been installed via socket in previous generations of Apple products. The crazy thing about this is, sockets would actually cost Apple less to offer different specifications of Macs, but this isn't an issue as the profit from repairs exceeds not saving cost in the first place. However, this means an entire main board is going to waste when only one component is damaged.

Louis Rossmann has some good videos on YouTube about how Mac users have been quoted more than the cost of their entire machine for repairs, but he has ended up fixing the issue by replacing a couple of capacitors. One interesting video is where he testified for a repair company in Norway (I think), who were sent a cease and desist by Apple because they were sending GENUINE Apple screens to China to have the cracked glass/digitizer replaced before sending them back. Apple were claiming this meant the parts coming back were counterfeit....

Unless you're using a Fairphone 3, you can't be using ethics as a reason for your phone choice.

Last edited:
Soldato
The openness I’d say is more down to the customisation choices and freedom to choose your default apps as opposed to the iOS way of doing things.
You’ll be able to change default apps soon in iOS 14 iirc. (Like replacing safari with Firefox or chrome) it’s a much needed feature to iOS and I can’t wait.

while I like safari and all default apps in iOS, it’s nice to have a choice on what to use. Like if I wanted to replace the default mail app with another, better app.

Back
Top Bottom