Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
the cost is the issue i think. when people like oneplus/xiaomi/huawei etc.. can bust out high spec phones for half if not a third/quarter of the price is does make you think. but.. enough people will buy them, they are popular and they do work well!

im not saying android works bad but its less controlled. multiple phone manufacturers, multiple versions of the OS for multiple CPU & GPU architectures you're bound to have some issues.

apple's control means they are building the OS for their hardware, so likely to run smoother.

Associate
Thanks! I still enjoy the android experience, I may stick with ios, I may go back. I need to give the iPhone a decent go though.

I have been with a iPhone since the 4.so felt like it was a nice change. Got a p30 now for around £300. And I think it is absolutely brilliant for the price.

Soldato
OP
Thanks! I still enjoy the android experience, I may stick with ios, I may go back. I need to give the iPhone a decent go though

11 Pro Max 256gb. Only just sitting down to having a proper play with it now, got a few essential google apps, banking apps etc. So far so good.

Day 1 (or evening 1) has been ok, getting used to the gestures etc. Went to cinema earlier this evening and couldn't work out how to switch it off, holding power button kept bringing up siri set up, worked it out in the end.

The thing that I had immediately noticed - 90hz refresh rate on the OnePlus 7 pro, just makes it feel so much more polished and speedy. Oh and the thought that keeps popping into my head is "Really? £1300, errrrm". That's android thinking though.

there’s a mute switch on the side

Associate
Yeh I found the mute switch, I'm a bit old fashioned (or OCD), always turn my phone off in the cinema.

Had no signal in there too, so siri would've been useless!

Soldato
I've gone from pixel 2 to iPhone 11 and currently not enjoying it at all.

Still photos are no better than the 2+yr old pixel but videos on the iPhone are 10x better.

The pixel screen seems much sharper if for example I load the same videos online side by side. Maybe software related need to play with it more .

and why is the 11 so heavy

Will be digging deeper over next few days but it just doesn't feel like a premium phone to me. Or atleast not any more premium than anything else out recently

Soldato
The iphone 11 has been purposefully fitted with the worst screen Apple could get away with to ram it down your throat that it's a cheaper model than the Pro.

It should have been 1080p, but no...

Soldato
Yea I’ve tried now using same software on both phones and the pixel 2 is way sharper. Disappointing.

did a few side by side comparisons of opening apps , videos etc too and there’s not a lot in that either. I use OSX and had iPhones up to the 5 so appreciate the ‘just works’ side of apple but I’ve never had any problems with android for a long time either. iOS seems to have stood still.

If the pixel 4 didn’t have such a weak battery this would be an easy decision . Probably sell the 11 and see what comes out in next few months.

Associate
Sending the iPhone 11 back after two weeks. Simcard back in the Oneplus 7 pro.

I have to say I didn't dislike using IOS over Android, but it didn't bring anything new to the table (for me). I didn't do anything differently, used same apps, played same games.

Two things that stood out for me were the battery and sound quality via Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. But everything else was just a bit meh. It also didn't feel like it was worth £600 more than the op7.

I'm glad I tried one out, but I just prefer Android.

Soldato
I'm glad I tried one out, but I just prefer Android.

Like you, I do the same things with my phone whether it's iOS or Android. I don't even customise my homepage. For some reason I think I prefer Android and I don't know why that might be. Maybe it's the greater variety of hardware which makes it easier to pick out an overall package that suits me better.

Soldato
Never had any reason to move away from Android. I like the openness and if you buy smart the hardware isn't crazy expensive. I seem to pay very little extra too as most apps I use are free. My OP7T has been great so far.

Apple have a great ecosystem but have to tightly control things to keep it like that. You can't have the benefits of both operating systems but at least we have a choice.

Soldato
How did the OP get on with this after? I keep contemplating idevicss but then find reasons not too. I then look at android devices and there is too much choice plus the resale value is abysmal.

Soldato
I'm a long time Android user giving iOS a try at the moment. Are there any great apps I should try?
I seen you posted the SE on your YouTube. As a big android user I'm keen to hear your thoughts.
One thing I do a lot on my android is download files from a website to my phone and copy them to my homeserver. If you can see if any apps that can do that? (NB. If you have a homeserver)

Also just how you find the small screen for things like media consumption. Typing on the keyboard.

Associate
Big mistake..? I wouldn't say so.
iOS is much more refined than Android and user interface as well as it's animations are a lot better and user friendly.
I have iPhone 11 Pro Max and Galaxy S10 Plus (Snapdragon) and while iPhone is more limited I do prefer to use stay day to day because how well it all works.
Face ID is way more reliable than in screen fingerprint sensor.
Also iMessage is just way better than any other communicator.

Associate
First world problems and trying to keep entertained During lockdown. I currently have the iPhone 11 Pro Max (been an iOS person first years) and I’m just bored of the iPhone. Yes, it works, and it works well with great battery life but god am I bored of the home screen layout (and other iOS restrictions) - I want options. I also have a Mac and Apple Watch. I currently have the S20 Ultra and OnePlus 8 Pro to play with and I’m trying to make a decision on which one to settle on.

S20 Ultra is stunning, nice UI and lots of extras to play with but the Exynos chip (poorer battery) and limited screen res if you want 120hz screen mode is disappointing. Also, the camera just isn’t great. I also hate the double vibrate notification - why can’t I have a single vibrate for notifications?

The OP8P is also a stunning device with the amazing SD 865 CPU and has great cameras - you can also use 120hz screen mode in full res and has great battery. However, it is a bit longer in hand, lack of AOD and quality control on the screens is a bit concerning - I have a pink reflection in direct sunlight - think it’s the coating more than the actual screen.

The S20 ultra is on a contract upgrade and I managed to get a deal where I don’t pay anything for 4 months and the OP is an outright purchase. So there’s a cost saving going for the S20 Ultra.

I cannot decide what to do and know that I’ll be 99% tempted by the iPhone 12 Pro Max in September because I’m a sucker for amazing hardware. I’ve also read the leaks about iOS getting widgets of some sort which has peaked my interests.

Soldato
I am also looking to go back to Android. The apps I use can be had on android and I actually prefer it to iOS. I switch yearly but I’m using Windows now as I couldn’t settle on a Mac desktop/laptop.

iPhone is great, it has brilliant polished apps, battery life is great and the whole feel is good. But again like others have said, the limitations make it somewhat boring in the sense of how much freedom you have.

I think my next phone will be an Xperia 1 mark 2, but that depends on if it’s actually good and I feel it’s worth while to jump the iPhone ship.

Back
Top Bottom