Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Associate
I am also looking to go back to Android. The apps I use can be had on android and I actually prefer it to iOS. I switch yearly but I’m using Windows now as I couldn’t settle on a Mac desktop/laptop.

iPhone is great, it has brilliant polished apps, battery life is great and the whole feel is good. But again like others have said, the limitations make it somewhat boring in the sense of how much freedom you have.

I think my next phone will be an Xperia 1 mark 2, but that depends on if it’s actually good and I feel it’s worth while to jump the iPhone ship.

I’ve decided to jump back over once my contract is up in October. Will hopefully pick up a decent deal then.

Soldato
I've had both iOS/Android and currently have a OnePlus5, switch I'm still happy with, but if it broke tomorrow I'd buy a new iPhone SE. I like the size, performance and length of support/updates (~5 years).

The support in particular is a big deal as most Android phones, even £1000+ flagship models, often only get 2-3 years worth of Android OS updates and are it's often months after the official release before they update.

In fact I was thinking about it yesterday and it struck me that the iPhone se is basically the new OnePlus! In that they're offering a class leading GPU/CPU along with a good enough screen/camera though it's missing some cutting edge features like face Id.

In my opinion Apple just killed off the mid-range Android market with this handset. I don't think there's a single £400 Android phone which can compete in terms of the hardware.

Associate
I've had both iOS/Android and currently have a OnePlus5, switch I'm still happy with, but if it broke tomorrow I'd buy a new iPhone SE. I like the size, performance and length of support/updates (~5 years).

The support in particular is a big deal as most Android phones, even £1000+ flagship models, often only get 2-3 years worth of Android OS updates and are it's often months after the official release before they update.

In fact I was thinking about it yesterday and it struck me that the iPhone se is basically the new OnePlus! In that they're offering a class leading GPU/CPU along with a good enough screen/camera though it's missing some cutting edge features like face Id.

In my opinion Apple just killed off the mid-range Android market with this handset. I don't think there's a single £400 Android phone which can compete in terms of the hardware.

I think the 4a will compete personally-the fingerprint scanner on the back, headphone jack and the Pixel camera itself will give people something to consider.

Soldato
I think the 4a will compete personally-the fingerprint scanner on the back, headphone jack and the Pixel camera itself will give people something to consider.

I agree. The pixel 4 was a really average phone, but the pixel 4a is shaping up to be a really good competitor to the iPhone SE. It won't sell 5% as many, but it'll be probably the best mid price android, with the added advantage that it isn't Chinese in origin.

If Google really wanted to go for it they'd price it attractively lower than £400 and with 128gb base storage.

Not that it'll happen of course.

Associate
I agree. The pixel 4 was a really average phone, but the pixel 4a is shaping up to be a really good competitor to the iPhone SE. It won't sell 5% as many, but it'll be probably the best mid price android, with the added advantage that it isn't Chinese in origin.

If Google really wanted to go for it they'd price it attractively lower than £400 and with 128gb base storage.

Not that it'll happen of course.

£350 and Google would be onto a winner.

The SE really has put the cat amongst the pigeons though. In fact I’m seeing a lot of frustration from the Android (towards Android/Google(?) community that the SE is on the verge of taking the midrange market that Android has lived in quite comfortably until now.

Soldato
The SE really has put the cat amongst the pigeons though.

This is what makes it the most important phone of the year to date. For the majority of people, there's no equivalent Android that can touch it. I believe that Google should be the ones shaking up the Android hardware market and maybe the iPhone SE is the product that'll spur them on to do it.

Soldato
Based on just a few hours of use, I don't see it being that huge of a threat to Android mid range buyers. I've not been impressed as I have with other mid range Androids in the past, such as the Poco F1 and K20 Pro for example. We'll see though, in a week or so I'll use it properly. For now I'll bow out of this thread as I don't want to incite a full on row about it :)

Associate
Based on just a few hours of use, I don't see it being that huge of a threat to Android mid range buyers. I've not been impressed as I have with other mid range Androids in the past, such as the Poco F1 and K20 Pro for example. We'll see though, in a week or so I'll use it properly. For now I'll bow out of this thread as I don't want to incite a full on row about it :)

Your opinions are no less valid than anyone else’s on here so don’t feel like you shouldn’t contribute in here.

Soldato
Based on just a few hours of use, I don't see it being that huge of a threat to Android mid range buyers.

Raymond Lins' point in the apple forum was that it's a cheap Apple phone and you gave qualified agreement with his argument. Non techies who want a phone in this price range will likely buy the SE because it's an Apple product.

Soldato
Generally people do want apple products but the price puts them off.

The new iPhone SE is set at a great price. Great cpu, camera and software with possibly 4-5 years of update what more would someone want? Possibly great battery life too.

I like how Apple can recycle their old model but the price point is so attractive that people will look past this.

Soldato

The new iPhone SE is set at a great price. Great cpu, camera and software with possibly 4-5 years of update what more would someone want? Possibly great battery life too.

I like how Apple can recycle their old model but the price point is so attractive that people will look past this.
Apple were definitely ahead of the curve on pricing with the X but these days an Android flagship is just as expensive!

Soldato

I don't want one and nothing to do with price, I just find ios too restrictive.

You say 'generally'? Maybe.. I don't think generally they would , definitely not tech savvy people.

Tech savvy people it's a conscious choice between android and ios.

Last edited:
Associate
Every year a new android phone (oneplus 8 this time) that temps me away again from IOS. On iPhone release I always buy the new one (currently on the 11), then around this time of year I tend to get pulled towards a new android phone (galaxy s8, pixel 3, oneplus 7 in the past), I keep them for a few months then always switch back to iOS. I’ve had iPhones since the 3G.

I think it’s the fact 80% of my friends/family use iPhones, and I use FaceTime and iMessage a lot, also I find the apps a lot more polished on iOS, also I’ve never found another phone which consistently takes decent photos (except the pixel I had, perhaps). I keep almost buying the oneplus 8 pro, then hesitating, as I know my Apple Watch series 5 will then need to be sold as I can’t use it. Knowing me I’ll end up ordering the oneplus in a weeks time anyway. ;) for me it’s the love of technology then temps me, with the oneplus it’s the display, but I know I’ll feel letdown with the cameras (I know they are better but still won’t better the 11 in my opinion).

Associate
Every year a new android phone (oneplus 8 this time) that temps me away again from IOS. On iPhone release I always buy the new one (currently on the 11), then around this time of year I tend to get pulled towards a new android phone (galaxy s8, pixel 3, oneplus 7 in the past), I keep them for a few months then always switch back to iOS. I’ve had iPhones since the 3G.

I think it’s the fact 80% of my friends/family use iPhones, and I use FaceTime and iMessage a lot, also I find the apps a lot more polished on iOS, also I’ve never found another phone which consistently takes decent photos (except the pixel I had, perhaps). I keep almost buying the oneplus 8 pro, then hesitating, as I know my Apple Watch series 5 will then need to be sold as I can’t use it. Knowing me I’ll end up ordering the oneplus in a weeks time anyway. ;) for me it’s the love of technology then temps me, with the oneplus it’s the display, but I know I’ll feel letdown with the cameras (I know they are better but still won’t better the 11 in my opinion).

Both sides of my family use iPhones but yet only a few of them use iMessage-the rest all use WhatsApp. All my mates use WhatsApp so for me I’m now at the point where if I’m a fairly heavy Google services user, and all the people I talk to are on a cross platform app, there isn’t really anything stopping me having a move over for a while.

Soldato
This is really helpful - I'm having the same debate with myself at the moment.

I think my main tie in to Google's ecosystem is Photos. How did you deal with this? You say you're using Amazon Photos now, but did you transfer all your old pics across? Or are you just using Amazon moving forward and the old pics are still on Google?

Associate

I'm the same as you. It's the love (addiction) of the technology. I currently have the OnePlus 8 Pro and S20 Ultra along side my iPhone 11 Pro Max and I too, get the itch about this time of the year when all the new shiny stunning tech comes out.

The OnePlus 8 Pro is a beast, so smooth, fast and responsive with a great processor and battery life. However, I have noticed image retention in the status bar with the battery icon and time, they go after a few minutes but can be seen on an all grey image -I also have a pink hue in direct sunlight only which is annoying. The S20 Ultra is also very nice, the flat edges are brilliant and the UI is now smooth and responsive - the problem with the S20 Ultra is the Exynos chip which means rubbish battery and the camera really isn't great next to my iPhone - I also dislike that you cannot use 120hz in QHD mode. I love the endless customisation options, the auto wallpaper changing and the option to have a clean home screen. The iPhone layout is dated beyond it's time. However, I know that I'll buy the 12 Pro Max - especially given the slight design change.

I also use a mix of iMessage and WhatsApp. The problem is Apple just recycle design for 3 years, so when the X came out, I was good for the first year in terms of not getting the itch but the XS felt the same and the 11 Pro Max doesn't feel any different however, the battery is fab. I have an Apple Watch 5 Titanium addition which would also have to go.

First world problems.

Soldato
So I'm trying an iPhone this week and one thing is driving me mad at the moment, the RAM management. I have a Google Podcasts playing, but when the screen goes off, it stops playing within a few seconds. Turn the screen back on and it starts playing again. I can't see anything in settings about not managing certain apps. Any tips?

Soldato
So I'm trying an iPhone this week and one thing is driving me mad at the moment, the RAM management. I have a Google Podcasts playing, but when the screen goes off, it stops playing within a few seconds. Turn the screen back on and it starts playing again. I can't see anything in settings about not managing certain apps. Any tips?
That’s not RAM management is it? It must be the app only plays when screen is on. Like YouTube audio also stops when screen is off

Back
Top Bottom