Moveing Partitions

Associate
As you can see by the pic i want to move the unallocted space on the left side of the drive and merge it in with the C:. Im using IM-Magic partition resizer but when i try merge anything with the C: it will only let me pick space directly next to it and i cant merge the unallocated space with anything next to it as they are microsoft reserved partitions.
Any idea how i can Freely move it next to the C: to be able to merge it?

fd8100f179eb0fd5ed2517b35faf71ee.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Can you,
Move right 1
Apply
Move right 1
Apply
Merge
Apply

?
nope as they are microsoft reserved partitions and cant be resized or moved as far as im aware, just thought there was a way to just auto merge any unallocated space to the c: but im thinking how my drive has bee partitioned before that its now not possible

Soldato
You can only merge space that's adjacent to the partition and partitions cannot, as far as I'm aware, be moved. But have you considered whether it's worth while, even if it was possible. The amount you're trying to gain about 0.05% of the total drive capacity. Is it really worth worrying about?

Last edited:
Soldato
You can only merge space that's adjacent to the partition and partitions cannot, as far as I'm aware, be moved. But have you considered whether it's worth while, even if it was possible. The amount you're trying to gain about 0.05% of the total drive capacity. Is it really worth worrying about?

Was going to be my question - I wouldn't worry about it for the sake 600Mb. You can pick up flash drives for a couple of quid with more space than that partition if you're very desperate.

Soldato
Can you,
Move right 1
Apply
Move right 1
Apply
Merge
Apply

?
Pretty much that, you can only expand a partition (what you're trying to do with C; into empty space so you'd need to move partitions around until the unallocated space is next to the C: partition.

FWIW your partitions are kind of in the wrong order, at least going on MS recommended partition layout.
dep-win10-partitions-uefi.png

It doesn't really effect anything but if you're like me and a bit fussy over these things you should really have the 100MB ESP (FAT32) partition with the 33% used space at the start of the drive, the 16MB MSR (unallocated space) GPT reserved directly after it, then your Windows partition, and lastly the recover partition.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update: So i ran into quite a few issues after installing the M.2 drive in question where i was getting sooooo many BSOD's for different things on every crash to the point my PC would Blue screen as soon as it got past post so did a fresh install of windows 10 but even this didnt fix the BSOD's. The errors coming up were mostly pointing to corrupt nvidia drivers but after fresh install after fresh install of the latest drivers i still kept getting blue screens so took out the M.2 drive and put in the old ssd i was using before but still crashing.

At this point i was pricing up new cpu, motherboard and ram it was becoming a joke, so i bought new ram for current setup and installed the gpu drivers again but just over writing the drivers installed with the same drivers and did numerous sfc scans and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth for like the 100th time which seemed to have worked as i have yet to get any crash since, even with my old ddr4 i had in when crashing so god knows what the fix actually was but im thinking the gpu drivers were the main culprit lol.

But on to the issue with the partition problem i was having from my origional post.... the only way around it was to clone the M.2 onto my old ssd then just delete each partion on the M.2 one by one which reverted it back to one unallocated partition, but i have yet to install the M.2 again just incase things go pear shaped again like it did before

Associate
OP
Pretty much that, you can only expand a partition (what you're trying to do with C; into empty space so you'd need to move partitions around until the unallocated space is next to the C: partition.

FWIW your partitions are kind of in the wrong order, at least going on MS recommended partition layout.
dep-win10-partitions-uefi.png

It doesn't really effect anything but if you're like me and a bit fussy over these things you should really have the 100MB ESP (FAT32) partition with the 33% used space at the start of the drive, the 16MB MSR (unallocated space) GPT reserved directly after it, then your Windows partition, and lastly the recover partition.
Yeah i think with the unalocated partition at the front of the drive could have been causing issues, i dont even know how i managed to partition the drive to be like it is in the image i put up lol i could have lived with the 600mb less on the drive but im quite ADHD about something that isnt quite in the right order

Back
Top Bottom