Moving out with your partner?

Associate
Minxy said:
I'm 25 and he's 22. I'd be making an 80 mile shift to live in the area where he is based.

That was the same for me. About that distance anyway. I was wanting to go to college in Edinburgh anyway so the decision to move in with him was made easier by that fact.

Associate
My partner and I bought our first property together back in July. Its a new house so we are still waiting for the property to be built. We are due to move in beginning of December. We met 3 1/2 years ago and age wise Im 24 and he is 25yrs. We prob were ready relationship wise to move in together a bit sooner but money did not allow. I cant say for sure if it was a good move yet as we are not living together. But we are both really excited and having real fun choosing bits and bobs for the house. I dont think there is a right time. If you feel ready you prob are. Until you try it though you will never know. Good luck! :p

Associate
my mrs and i were living together within 5 months of going out with each other, it was either move in and give it a go or move back home to our parents after graduation and trust the long distance thing. 5 years later we are still together :)

would i do it differently? when we have an argument i think yes, but in reality all i would have done is gone travelling or something and messed up my head even more than it is, so no i wouldn't change it. i should say we rent and don't own, but are planning to buy. i'm not sure i'd have bought somewhere with her straight away...

it's not always easy, but you'll know if it's "meant to be". one bit of advice is to have separate interests, i need time and space to do my own thing sometimes, as does the gf, so that keeps things good for us.

go for it i say.

Soldato
Minxy said:
Out of curiousity...and because its something currently affecting my situation. How long did you leave it before you made the decision to move in with your partner? Were you seeing each other a long time or did it seem an easy decision to make early on in your relationship?

Also...do you think it was the right decision for you or given the time again, would you do things differently?

Thanks
Laura

I'm going to be moving in with my girlfriend (strangely enough also called Laura) as soon as our solicitors and the sellers can get their act together and get contracts exchanged. We will have been together for 2 years in December. We are both looking forward to it cos we both love each others company and want to be with each other as much as possible.

I think it might put a little more strain on our relationship as we won't have as much alone time as currently and I do believe it's good to have time to yourself sometimes, but I don't think it'll do any harm as we are very good about talking about everything and how we are feeling and being honest with each other.

Valve

Soldato
Make sure she knows her place before you live with her;)

Mine moved in with me after about 2 weeks, stayed in rented for just over a year before buying together. Wanted to make sure everything was going well before investing in a house, don't want the hassle of selling it to pay her half, etc.

Everything is going well and I dont think it was too quick, though if your nieve its always too quick, nothing is the same when you have to enjoy whatever time you have together, and if you are never apart other than work / commitments / pub. a lot of people i know have split up assuming things would be the same, only good times, no arguments, just like when they werent living together.

Permabanned
Law and I have been together for just over four years...She moved up here last February.

It's great. I wouldn't change it for the world. I cook and iron (which I like doing anyway), she does everything else and I only have to pay half the bills.

Plus, I get sex whenever I want it!

*n

Soldato
I moved in May of this after about 2 1/2 years together. I moved as it made little difference to getting to work for me, but for my girlfriend it would have been a right hike from my house. Just got my house rented out. I'm 30, she's 32.

Soldato
I had been seeing my other half for about 18 months.
We then rented a flat together for a year - over the initial 18 months we got on great, but things will always be different when you're living in each others pockets.
After the year of renting we moved into our current house which we are buying - both our names on the mortgage and deeds.
Just over 18 months after we started paying the mortgage (couple of weeks ago) we got married.

Soldato
ours was a bit unusual but meh:

We worked together and we were best friends so when he needed somewhere to live and I needed some extra cash to help with the bills it made sense for me to offer him a room in my new house. This was about 3 months before I signed the deeds. We got together about 2 weeks before I got the keys and he moved in as my lodger (but i'd known him about 6 months). Still together 3 years later and couldn't be happier!

Soldato
The distance could have more of an effect on you, rather than the situation?

80miles is quite a way, so you'd be changing jobs too? changing friends maybe?

I don't see the length of time you've been together as an issue, or rather it shouldn't be.

We really ought to catch up soon :( I've been bad at that I know.

Soldato
OP
CocoPops said:
The distance could have more of an effect on you, rather than the situation?

80miles is quite a way, so you'd be changing jobs too? changing friends maybe?

I don't see the length of time you've been together as an issue, or rather it shouldn't be.

We really ought to catch up soon :( I've been bad at that I know.

Hiya Lee, long time no speak!

To be honest the distance really doesn't bother me, my preious boyfriend lived 400miles from me so 80 miles feels like just around thec rner...everything is relative!

My friends aren't relly local anyway besides those I know through work so that doesn't really become an issue particularly as he and I share a lot of friends anyway and as for the job....I couldn't give a monkeys about my current company.

Back
Top Bottom