Moving the phone line?

Soldato
We don't like where the phone line terminates. It's ugly and silly. We disguised it for a few years with some low profile trunking/conduit but now we're redecorating and it's a problem again.

My office is directly above the lounge. I'd like to relocate the socket there.

I know nothing about moving cables within a house, or the logistics of moving phone lines and terminating them. The idea of extending it up the outside wall and drilling into the office to terminate behind my desk, has been tabled.

Anyone done this before?

y4mVhfrnYuG5iYuyG4kMBeCgVrWBv_xYbrMuQAMA9kvrmCHzxGoHITfRT9hqE9F_Li0no-vVkMEV34hJ29S5JJR44knC_guQtvS-xkL63jhf0SH2Qb6DQi2x_Gr6F588FYUiwHxdMV594pMIGRcqeLxV4v7MBZI2DUhRvHzZQbRGAxHJzJdmqt3Z59_KnF5GuTZ

y4mPMY_xlzSWW6G2xUoG66kHQotxqNFvCNWLqeSVJcSfSBNC9Iirz3sbYtYn0tGr0pjZBB6RlVEan4dl2JZa_dsu6nErdAO6u5Cpq0zploZo484m-SvhHFAooTlqKagsSLtoHcXtI1vUutVXpzESicCeWKHMNjM2NpSOHHGce_rAefJlRm8Qe684H8GN8CbMF8H

I didn't think you were allowed to move them after they had been installed due to being BT's property, which is why i thought most people extended them.

As for not extending up the outside of the wall, that only leaves make a channel in the wall to feed it upstairs which would result in an even bigger mess.

If the socket can stay where it is you could easily run an external extension.

It'd terminate inside the socket so no wires would be visible. You wouldn't need the filtered faceplate where it is either so it'd be neater.

If that outside box in directly in line with the indoor one you could drill another hole to the side of the one in the wall and feed a 6 wire through from internal box to outside box then just clip your new cable up the wall and through into bedroom - Use black cable if you can.
On the back of the internal box you can connect to terminals on the removeable face.
There are plenty of tutorials on youtube. Its a easy enough job and you can get a wire punch from Ebay for a few quid.

If you want to remove the internal box completely then run your cable to outside box and upstairs box - remove the faceplate noting which terminals the wires are connected to -connect upstairs and crimp your new wire to cable in box out side - it is only one pair of wires.
As said this is BT equipment but unless you have a fault they won't know and if they do ask just say you have only lived there 6 months and it was like that when you came. :D

Looks like I have a few options. I am already having a nightmare with internet cutting out randomly. Chances are they'd come to inspect the connection if I keep complaining, which would be my own undoing.

Might have to just take the £100-odd hit and get them to do it.

Why do they install them at stupid locations? Especially with a new build where you can place it anywhere you like. This is actually right round the back of the house too. Could have saved some cabling by installing it round the side which would come into my TV cabinet.

When I had persistant internet problems on BT infrastructure I got them to inspect the cable soming to the house, which turns out to have been from the 60s's. When they replaced that rotting piece of cable I had them fit a new master socket in a new room.

All free.

When I had persistant internet problems on BT infrastructure I got them to inspect the cable soming to the house, which turns out to have been from the 60s's. When they replaced that rotting piece of cable I had them fit a new master socket in a new room.

All free.

You must have been persuasive? My house is only 6 years old, bought as a new build. Was all a field beforehand so I can't imagine I can try that one.

I'll try to negotiate using 200sols' method.

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

You must have been persuasive? My house is only 6 years old, bought as a new build. Was all a field beforehand so I can't imagine I can try that one.

I'll try to negotiate using 200sols' method.

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

They didn't have a leg to stand on as their homehub (or w/e it was called) was noticing over 2000 disconnects a day

I didn't think you were allowed to move them after they had been installed due to being BT's property, which is why i thought most people extended them.
I have moved mine multi times as i changed the room around more then once over the last 20 odd years.. Oops :D

What they going to sue you for moving the master phone socket from one wall to another wall

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom