Associate
Hi,

Is anyone out there able to give me a hand with what to use in a build for Flight Sim 2020 which is going to be with us soon. I have not built a PC before and the last one I had made for me was aimed at Flight Sim X many years ago. Budget wise would be £2000 although I will need a monitor of some sort included whether it be HD or 4K. I'm looking for something that will give me the best performance for what I can afford, maybe provide upgrade path but I can't justify going crazy as I'm very much the hobbiest home sim flyer.

I've been looking for several weeks and this seems such a mine field I'm hoping some more knowledgeable people can help me out with this.

Thanks

Martyn

Soldato
Assuming you're not bothered about RGB/bling (can suggest some diff parts with RGB if bothered) - then I'd get something like the below based on Ryzen 3700X CPU, Nvidia 2070 Super GPU, 32GB RAM with 1TB NVME SSD.

For the monitor, you might want to research yourself what you want in terms of size etc. But I'd stick with 1440p res, as 4k is way too demanding on systems to maintain good FPS. Which usually looks best on 27-32" displays. As a suggestion, look up the Dell S2721DGF from them direct. If use code DELLMONNJ07 can get it for £351 atm (down from £390). Fairly new display out that seems very good.

Case is also of course personal preference. This is just a decent one for the price with good airflow. You might like some other ones though.

It's a shame really FS2020 is out in 10 days as imagine you'll want the system for then. As Nvidia are due to launch their next-gen GPUs supposedly late September which will offer some good improvements hopefully. :o

Building yourself is fun if you're comfortable or watch some videos. But if you really don't want to build yourself, OcUK usually charge about £100 if you ask in the customer service subforum a quote to build a system from a parts list you provide like below.

I'd suggest getting the Windows 10 key yourself for £5-10 from that popular auction site though, then installing it yourself when it arrives if you asked them to build the system. Otherwise you'll be paying OcUK £110 for a very expensive Windows license. Overall, build it yourself if you can! :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,511.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Hi Sparx,

Thanks for your quick reply and the detail you went in to that's brilliant, I did forget to mention I use a Logitech Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quaudrant and down the line will look to add the radio/nav panels, will this effect my build at all?

Monitor size will be 27 inch give or take so thanks for the tip about the Dell I'll have a look at that one.

I have read on here and elsewhere there are new parts due out very shortly, for someone that is not looking for perfection would it be worth the wait? After all these years I'm buzzing to get flying again.

Thanks for the tip about the OS that is going to come in very handy and think I'll give it a go myself with the building.

Thanks again.

Martyn

Man of Honour
Overclockers can build this for you , ask them for a quote and build time.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to build a on youtube.

Mite be worth ading another fan at the front of the case if you g0 for the one in the spec above.

Soldato
Do you have an existing PC rig atm? What CPU and GPU is it?

Could potentially build a new rig now and re-use GPU if you can. Then upgrade GPU late next month if you invest in the top end next gen GPU. Depends on price though of course.

Associate
OP
Overclockers can build this for you , ask them for a quote and build time.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to build a on youtube.

Mite be worth ading another fan at the front of the case if you g0 for the one in the spec above.

Thanks Micky, I've noticed there is plenty of resources out there, just have to take my time and be careful while doing it.

Do you have an existing PC rig atm? What CPU and GPU is it?

Could potentially build a new rig now and re-use GPU if you can. Then upgrade GPU late next month if you invest in the top end next gen GPU. Depends on price though of course.

My existing machine is ancient and hasn't been used for probably the best part of 10 years, I have no idea what is inside it. I actually hooked it up recently as I thought I would have a fly after seeing MS Flight Sim 2020 peeked my interest again. I timed it and it took 29 minutes to start up, open flight sim x and have me on the run way before taking off ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom