• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Soldato
I see gaming edition has Dolby true audio according to ocuk product page

Odd thing to highlight considering most gpus these days support it :)

Soldato
Just noticed the 7950 in your sig. May I ask what sort of difference you're expecting to see in performance?

Well mate to be honest I didn't need to sell my 7950 as it was still blitzing everything I threw at it, but I ended up upgrading prematurely due to the bitcoin fanatics and got £235 for my card and I paid £239 well over a year ago.

I have since selling the 7950 tried 2 different 780's but one was faulty and the other was incompatible with my system so decided to get a 290 instead. Given that the 780 performance is pretty much neck and neck with the 290 the performance increase was definitely noticeable, even in a game like Planetside 2 where it is CPU bound I was able to crank up to Ultra everything and Battlefield 4 definitely ran at least 20-30fps faster, all in all a worthy upgrade and can't wait for my 290! :D

Associate
Well mate to be honest I didn't need to sell my 7950 as it was still blitzing everything I threw at it, but I ended up upgrading prematurely due to the bitcoin fanatics and got £235 for my card and I paid £239 well over a year ago.

I have since selling the 7950 tried 2 different 780's but one was faulty and the other was incompatible with my system so decided to get a 290 instead. Given that the 780 performance is pretty much neck and neck with the 290 the performance increase was definitely noticeable, even in a game like Planetside 2 where it is CPU bound I was able to crank up to Ultra everything and Battlefield 4 definitely ran at least 20-30fps faster, all in all a worthy upgrade and can't wait for my 290! :D

Wow, hadn't thought of the inflated re-sell potential. Not sure my 7870 LE is quite as sought-after, but... Thanks for the info though - interesting to know!

Permabanned
I have the MSI GTX780 Gaming Edition and the cooler is fantastic, I haven't heard to peep out of it and it keeps things nice and cool.

290/290X with same cooler will be a great combination. :D

Soldato

Hi, i myself have a gigabyte wf3 7950, and interested in the R290 with custom fans, what is this bitcoin :confused:

Thanks

Soldato
Hi, i myself have a gigabyte wf3 7950, and interested in the R290 with custom fans, what is this bitcoin :confused:

Thanks

Not sure, I still don't really understand it, it is some kind of internet currency. I would sell your 7950 now on the bay if you want to make some decent cash to put towards your 290.

Associate
Looks like no VRM sensors on MSI 290/X Gaming which imply pretty aggressive throttling algorithms (got to keep those 3y. warr. viable) in use and ensuing limited OC potential.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1453703/...90x-gaming-4g-video-cards/80_40#post_21574698
On the flip side, at least they got Hynix vidmem chips.

In the end it seems - Sappo cards is the way to go (dead silent/coolest core+vrm/Hynix mem/great OC potential)
4f22028cd0e753a9b3c6017ec9a6f9a0.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom