• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition - How To Unlock The Power ***

Soldato
Yeah.

Not sure he should have posted all over the forum that it was possible when it was not and that there was a 95% success rate...

Im thinking I will be contacting MSI and pointing this out...

May at least get a freebie out of it as its not great PR.

Soldato
This thread should be locked and ScottiB banned and OCUK should send a strongly worded email to MSI about false promotion. I'm sorry if think this is harsh but let's face facts these cards don't unlock despite what we were told by an MSI employee.

Soldato
I think the 95% success rate referred to the list TPU have which are mostly reference cards anyway.

Then it was misrepresentation, you can't just go about as a representative of a company and say 95% of our product does xxx, and quote a sample of 95% of other companies products doing xxx.

If i'd bought one on the strength of what he said and it didn't unlock i'd be pretty cheesed off and be returning it.

Soldato
This thread should be locked and ScottiB banned and OCUK should send a strongly worded email to MSI about false promotion. I'm sorry if think this is harsh but let's face facts these cards don't unlock despite what we were told by an MSI employee.

I think ScottiB should have got his facts right before putting the word out. Its false advertising I agree.

The question has even been asked in the MSI forums with the answer being NO!

What more proof do they need?

Soldato
Ive emailed him via trust... I sold my old GCARD on the back of having these that in buying 2 at least one would unlock... Dont want to return as I dont see this as OCUK's fault. BUT I do think ScottiB has a few questions to answer. Joking aside we could probably report this to trading standards in all honesty and its in the public arena for all to see, so im personally pretty sure he will do something about it....

If I was him I would at least put out another thread for the time being saying these cards DO NOT unlock as it is still misleading people who don't dig through the thread.

Soldato
The thing is, it's not advertised as being able to unlock on the main site so there's no false advertising going on. It was never within the specification of the card that it would unlock so this was merely a bonus.

If you're accusing ScottiB of being misleading, then perhaps you should do the same to TPU and PureOC who reviewed the card as being able to unlock. It's just unfortunate that retail cards don't seem to unlock and that may well be due to AMD laser cutting the extra shaders. In that case, it could be that MSI's technicians didn't know about it and it also implies that other cards won't be able to unlock either. If anything, blame AMD for giving us this massive bonus and then taking it away...

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
OP
Thanks for backing me up a bit Helios, I'm sorry if you got cards that don't unlock. I'm trying to get an official response from the guys that wrote the guide. My current understanding is that whilst the shader unlock does not work, due to issues beyond our control, the BIOS should still bypass AMD's artificial clock speed/power limits. This should make the card one of, if not the, most overclockable 6950s currently available.

You may be right about the laser cutting, I cannot think of any other explanation.

Needless to say that I did not intentionally mislead anybody. I merely answered a question to the best of my knowledge based on information that was at the time I received it, and to my knowledge still was, totally accurate. :(

For now I can offer those of you who bought the card since the announcement a free copy of Lara Croft: Guardian of light & Stalker: Call of Pripyat (trust me your invoice number & address details)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Not ScottiB's fault. The card (Twin Frozr III) used to unlock easily. Even TPU had a BIOS for unlock. It's just the problem of the recent batch.

Associate
Saw it posted on this website as well

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html

I saw the deal on Tuesday and was very close to splashing out on 2 of these cards and what with this thread I was sort of gutted I didn't hit the checkout in time before they all sold and the deal ended.

I am sort of glad I missed out now, I think I just had itchy pockets, and my bday is coming up so felt like getting something for me ;) I guess i'll just wait and save till the 28nm products start to get released sometime this year.

Still they are great cards for those who did get them, and got them at that epic price to boot. Its just unfortunate they don't seem to unlock. :(

Soldato
IM happy with ScottiB;s reply and will take him up on his offer...

As a side issue this is how I see it.

I was in the market for 2 x 6950' that would unlock and and were from a good manufacturer etc etc. At the price point offered these got my purchase, in fact I was over the moon as you get the TF III as well, a win all ways...

However I would certainly not have dived in had I know they would 100% not unlock. It was the final carrot which made me push the buy button, and I guess im just a bit dissapointed as I thought at least 1 would based on what I read.... Its not life ending though and a couple of free games more than makes up for it, thats good customer service.

If you dont ask, you dont get though ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Just buy a 6970...

This.

Dont have a go at scottiB, he works for MSI does he not? so advertising is his job. He was just using the unlocking thing as advertising ammunition to do his job anyone in his place would.

if you want a 6970 BUY ONE and sit back and look at GPU-Z with a stonk on..

For those who bought a 6950, look at the box it says '6950' not '6970' nor '6950.5'.. you purchaced a product with the specs written on the box why expect more than what it says on the box?!

thats like buying a bike and expecting to be able it to fly on it, then being ****ed off when it doesnt.

You get what you pay for in this day and age.

/rant over

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom