MSI Wind re-badged alternative :)

Soldato
Bradmax57..way to go... u are really inspiring me to get this and update stuff... I work in the land of the purple shirted bods...( soon to be PINK shirts!!!!! ) and have been umming and arrring about the 4211 for a week or 2.
I'm thinking of getting one for portable music recording .. not too many tracks/midi sequencing...anyone know if the processor could handle that ok as its not tooooo stressful...??

I had to play around with one of these (I'm going to be in one of our upcoming 'the plug' internal review mags, and no Im not looking forward to the pink shirts and new logo, might boycott that colour haha) and tbh, it might just do it. I managed to get it to run HD videos which are reasonably demanding in software, so some mild sibelius or cubase work without much in the way of filters would probably be ok, in my estimation the CPU is about as fast as a P4 at around 2Ghz.

Soldato
I had to play around with one of these (I'm going to be in one of our upcoming 'the plug' internal review mags, and no Im not looking forward to the pink shirts and new logo, might boycott that colour haha) and tbh, it might just do it. I managed to get it to run HD videos which are reasonably demanding in software, so some mild sibelius or cubase work without much in the way of filters would probably be ok, in my estimation the CPU is about as fast as a P4 at around 2Ghz.

WHOA. WHOA, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA!

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO WEAR PINK SHIRTS AT WORK NOW?!??!!?

Purple was gay enough. ;)

Associate
indeed... pink is the new black!!! ...or ...purple anyway, seems the guy in charge fell through a time-displacement bubble and landed in the 80's for a few days when Miami Vice was at its peak..and in so doing so " saw the light". tis true!!

Picked up an Advent4211 yesterday :)

Associate
The A****t comes with a Restore partition on the hd. There is a desktop icon that you can run to back up this partition to a USB stick or SD card, it needs 1.9Gig of space and formats the USB stick or memory card. You can then use this device to rebuild any drive to the same state as the machine came out of the box. I haven't tried it, but there are plenty on the Wind forum's who have and apparently it works.

Last edited:
Associate
Are the 6 Cell versions of the Wind or other brands going to be more expensive or sold at the same level as the current 3 cell versions?

If they are more expensive, then whats the difference between waiting for one of these or buying an Asus 1000H now?

Soldato
More pricey aparently.
I have had my 4211 for 3-4 weeks not and I find I am using it a lot. I've not run out of battery yet as I seem to use it for an hour or so then get home or to work and charge it. That said I will be keeping my eyes open for a six cell battery when they are released.

Oh and I dropped it but it survived. The edge of the screen popped open a littly but it just clipped back together!

Associate
The price across the pond went up when the 6 cell verisions went on sale, I'm not sure if that was just a re-adjustment or whether it was the cost of the battery. I'm just hoping the bigger batteries become available some day soon.

Associate
Well sometimes it really does pay to check these things out.
I went into a well none H. St shop and looked at both the Asus and Advent.
Had I not gone I would have bought a Asus Eee PC 1000 on-line, but being able to see them close up next to each other I would buy the Advent 4211.
Why? because it looks better and feels less plasticy. Plus it's much cheaper.
A no brainer if you get to see them side by side.

Associate
Well batteries never last long enough for me however many cells.
It's really worth seeing them in the flesh. Once I saw the Advent next to the Asus it was clear cut for me.

Associate
I still can't make my mind up... which is not new :(

I have seen the black 901 in store as well as the Acer One and Advent. The 901 one can be had for the same price online so the price is not a factor. I am still tempted by the 901 because it is smaller and the battery life is better. The keys are small, but I tried to type and it was not too difficult. The 901 in black is much better looking than the white. The Advent is still tempting.

...and there seems be rumors that the Dell one is announced tomorrow :p

Associate
The other thing that's making me hold off a bit aswell is the prospect of the dual core atom based umpc's coming on to the market in September.

Not forgetting the Lenovo S10 which also looks pretty cool.

Too many choices :(

Soldato
anyone got wifi to work on theirs in ubuntu?

You can compile the drivers yourself and get half decent results, doesnt like WPA though. Alternatively replace the internal card with a more supported Intel chipset. I've done the former and its good enough for me, but its quite unreliable on anything other than open/wep.

Soldato
OP
You can compile the drivers yourself and get half decent results, doesnt like WPA though. Alternatively replace the internal card with a more supported Intel chipset. I've done the former and its good enough for me, but its quite unreliable on anything other than open/wep.

ah i c, no wpa isnt an option, maybe ill look at an intel card then, another question is for some reason the partioner in ubuntu failed, and also cant create one in xp, have the "techguys" done something funny?

Back
Top Bottom