• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Multi threaded games: 3570k vs 3770k

Caporegime
Probably not much difference, the only situations where you're likely to see a benefit from hyperthreading is when the four physical cores are absolutely maxed out.

Associate
Probably not much difference, the only situations where you're likely to see a benefit from hyperthreading is when the four physical cores are absolutely maxed out.

I second that, most of todays games wont use the additional threads, theyre more useful for video encoding and rendering

Soldato
If you can spare the extra cash then possibly yes. Since sometime in the near future games will hopefully start using more than two threads.

If I have a quad core machine, then I can have 4 threads running simultaneously. 1 thread per core.

If I have HT I can have 8 threads running, 4 primaries, and potentially another 4 threads running filling in the spare cycles.

It isn't a case of games using more than 2 threads...which I'm also not sure about as a statement. I would be very surprised that complex games spawn only two theads...It isn't a game of pong is it!

Soldato
If I have a quad core machine, then I can have 4 threads running simultaneously. 1 thread per core.

If I have HT I can have 8 threads running, 4 primaries, and potentially another 4 threads running filling in the spare cycles.

It isn't a case of games using more than 2 threads...which I'm also not sure about as a statement. I would be very surprised that complex games spawn only two theads...It isn't a game of pong is it!

I know how processors and threading works didn't you look at my sig? Most games don't use more than two processing threads at any one time at least not fully use them (due to the way it process' it goes across almost all the threads but not one of them will be being used more than 20% usually unless your playing a CPU intensive game which very few games are)

Soldato
Games have only just starting running on 4 cores, and those are few and far between.

I don't think there are any games that support HT, only time I'd go for the HT is if I did a lot of encoding, streaming.

Soldato
OP
I understand the arguments.

However Im planning on putting a pc together and trying to future proof. Usually I keep the cpu for at least 4-5 years so it has to last this long, as my Qx9650 has.

Im really looking at the future games that have shown the amazing graphics on the horizon (Star Wars 1313 and other games like it etc) and just didnt want to regret getting the 3570k over the 3770k if these types of games will benefit from the 3770k.

Soldato
I know how processors and threading works didn't you look at my sig? Most games don't use more than two processing threads at any one time at least not fully use them (due to the way it process' it goes across almost all the threads but not one of them will be being used more than 20% usually unless your playing a CPU intensive game which very few games are)

Not here argue, but....

Point 1: Why does you sig illustrate your ability to understand how a complex game engine is built? Are you a software engineer? have you done low level multi-threaded applications? If so, you don't seem to argue very well..."look at my sig"?!?! WTF?

Point 2: A thread can only run on 1 core at a time, although it can switch over to another core...but affinity is good due to having to also swop over memory being used within the caches...as I game on BF3 MP I see clearly all 4 cores running at 70-80%....therefore I would conclude at least 4 threads are running.

Seriously? 2 threads? Come on, it doesn't even sounds remotely right.

Soldato
Not here argue, but....

Point 1: Why does you sig illustrate your ability to understand how a complex game engine is built? Are you a software engineer? have you done low level multi-threaded applications? If so, you don't seem to argue very well..."look at my sig"?!?! WTF?

Point 2: A thread can only run on 1 core at a time, although it can switch over to another core...but affinity is good due to having to also swop over memory being used within the caches...as I game on BF3 MP I see clearly all 4 cores running at 70-80%....therefore I would conclude at least 4 threads are running.

Seriously? 2 threads? Come on, it doesn't even sounds remotely right.

I meant the fact I have a processor w/ HT so I would have read up about it. And actually Im a games programmer (or studying it at least)

Soldato
Well, then welcome to the club...I write multi-threaded apps all day long that do data analysis. But I'll admit I have never written game code. But within Frostbite 2 I'm pretty sure there are plenty of threads (maybe hundreds) running, but I will say that they probably are not all doing something all of the time.

Good luck in your studies...hopefully your in the UK? We need more engineers in the games industry.

Soldato
OP
Save your money and put it towards a future upgrade.

You are probably right. Games are all about the gpu as long as the cpu is fast enough to drive the fps above a point at which it looks smooth to the naked eye.

With that said, I do plan to keep the cpu for 4 years, with probably a gpu upgrade in two years time (planning ti get a 670 with the cpu)

So obviously the cpu need to be powerful enough to cope over the next 4 years.

Still think its wisest to go 3570k rather than the 3770k?

Soldato
Well, then welcome to the club...I write multi-threaded apps all day long that do data analysis. But I'll admit I have never written game code. But within Frostbite 2 I'm pretty sure there are plenty of threads (maybe hundreds) running, but I will say that they probably are not all doing something all of the time.

Good luck in your studies...hopefully your in the UK? We need more engineers in the games industry.

Yeah I am in the UK. Haven't started on game engines yet only just finished first year but I really do look forward to it. The thing is that a quad core (i5) has 4 threads as you said. But no more than two threads will be being used beyond a certain % in none CPU intensive games. All four threads would have stuff to do obviously but only two of the would have more load and still wouldn't be near 100% useage which makes a quad core all you need and hence why I said "don't use more than two threads" I should have eleborated on what I meant :p

Back
Top Bottom