Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
It was 1080 30 superview. The raw footage looks amazing, but my cheap ass editing software only publishes at 720, and then youtube does its compression thing and destroys it further.
I saw Stingaswarm say he used 2.7k superview 30, so I am going to give that a try. But as I say I can't publish it at that.

Look at ShotCut, free video editing software and does 4k

Soldato
manual says try place quad on horizontal level surface then push both levers to the bottom right from 2-3 seconds. Some indicator light on the quad will begin flashing and then stop. Looks like a recalibration operation.
It also mentions the same but with levers to the bottom left for some other correction. Try both of them.

The up/down will just be the position of the throttle stick, You don't have height hold on this model I think. There are trim buttons to try to correct the drifting but that is for minor drifts, not large movements.

7 mins per battery sounds pretty good going, the manual says 5.5 minutes, they aren't that big. The charging time is because they are being charged over USB, Although even on a proper charger it would take an hour on 1c charging.

Simon

Thanks, I'll give it a try. the instructions I had in the box were terrible :D

Soldato
DJI's 18 July event, supposed to be promoting the Mavic Pro replacement, was cancelled and after there was a leak from a retailer (Argos of all places) with some glimpses of potential information: https://www.cnet.com/news/say-hello-to-the-dji-mavic-pro-2-drone-if-this-photo-is-real/

A few things to go on there - the 1" sensor was the most interesting for me. However, I've just come back from a motorcycle holiday, me taking my Mavic Pro and my mate taking his Mavic Air, and I was really surprised just how good the Air is. It really does make the Mavic Pro look like a giant, and the only real loss from a casual hobbyist perspective is the shorter flight time. The gimbal solution is much better than the Pro's, and hopefully DJI have taken this into account with the Mavic Pro 2.

Soldato
So, I've got my drone today, I have read the articles on the CAA website, I have no interest in flouting any rules. What other resources would people suggest I look at?

Install the "Drone Assist" app on your phone. It has a little map telling you where you can't fly. Basically, keep it under 400 feet, keep it in sight, keep it away from people and buildings, don't overfly built up areas and stay well away from airports.

Permabanned
Wh you say keep it away from people what do we actually mean. The other night i was flying the drove in a local field. After I got there a couple of people came into he field to walk their dogs. No the drone was nowhere near them but at what piint does it become a problem?

Caporegime
Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion thread.
Sorry I'll go find the "UAV and all things FPV (Strictly no drones)" Thread

Cos it's not like drones are using the exact same ESC, receivers, transmitters, flight controllers,GPS FPV gear yadayada yada as fixed wing :p

Soldato
DJI's 18 July event, supposed to be promoting the Mavic Pro replacement, was cancelled and after there was a leak from a retailer (Argos of all places) with some glimpses of potential information: https://www.cnet.com/news/say-hello-to-the-dji-mavic-pro-2-drone-if-this-photo-is-real/

A few things to go on there - the 1" sensor was the most interesting for me. However, I've just come back from a motorcycle holiday, me taking my Mavic Pro and my mate taking his Mavic Air, and I was really surprised just how good the Air is. It really does make the Mavic Pro look like a giant, and the only real loss from a casual hobbyist perspective is the shorter flight time. The gimbal solution is much better than the Pro's, and hopefully DJI have taken this into account with the Mavic Pro 2.

The DJI event has been rebooked for 23 August. Here's to them releasing something transformational (or at least amazing!).

Caporegime
Hi. Is anyone considering selling or could provide advice on an a suggested entry level device with a camera?

Thanks
depends on how much money you are willing to spend really
cheapest noob friendly way is probably the babyhawkit seems popular for some reason, I guess since it's really cheap
but then you need a transmitter + receiver + battery + charger
and to actually fpv goggles unless you go the cheap route and get an OTG receiver that plugs in to a phone or tablet

Soldato
Wh you say keep it away from people what do we actually mean. The other night i was flying the drove in a local field. After I got there a couple of people came into he field to walk their dogs. No the drone was nowhere near them but at what piint does it become a problem?

Not within 50m of people or buildings. It's all explained here... https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

Associate
P3 Standards come with a camera, yep. It'll do 2.7k, 1080p or 720 video. You can set up a live feed via the DJI Go app so you can see what the drone sees on your tablet or mobile phone screen. You can also live stream to Facebook or Youtube if that takes your fancy.

Can't think of any other hardware you would need, this is a complete package, one that I've thoroughly enjoyed flying over the past while. :cool:

Thanks for all the extra info.

If still available, I’ll take this please.

Let me know how to arrange payment etc. I’ve enabled trust.

Thanks for your time.

Soldato
Hey guys, whilst this isn't related to UAVs it's probably the best place to ask. I'm looking for a 5.8Ghz HDMI transmitter and was wondering if such a thing exists. Basically an HDMI in, 5.8Ghz out, battery powered. If not HDMI, I guess it could be something else so long as there's a converter from HDMI available.

I bodged one a few years ago from an ImmersionRC transmitter but 'bodge' is pretty accurate, and it was fairly convoluted having to convert the HDMI signal first/separately.

TIA.

Don
Looking for recommendations please guys; girlfriend is into photography (think she has a Nikon 500, I think...). Looking to pick up a drone for her, she'll likely slam it into the nearest object, but it'll be a fun 30 seconds!!

Up to 200 budget, quality and ease of use is key, won't need to do any stunts or whatever :)

Suggestions appreciated, I know nothing!! :)

Caporegime
I'm seeing loads of posts on FaceBook that Argos have dropped a boo boo. They have added the new Mavic Pro 2 in their catalogue even though its not been anounced yet.

There are (apparently) 2 versions.
  • The DJI Mavic 2 Pro with 1-inch CMOS sensor Hasselblad camera
  • The DJI Mavic 2 Zoom with 2x optical zoom (24mm – 48mm)
More Info/Specs - https://dronedj.com/2018/07/28/breaking-news-dji-mavic-2-already-listed-in-uk-argos-catalog/
Both have been announced today by DJI. I like the sounds of the pro, might be time to get an upgrade by the looks of it.
My original Mavic Pro is sat in Australia at the moment so might give it that to my brother out there and get the Mavic Pro 2.

Soldato

I missed the DJI event, but the Mavic Pro 2 does looks good.

Both have been announced today by DJI. I like the sounds of the pro, might be time to get an upgrade by the looks of it.
My original Mavic Pro is sat in Australia at the moment so might give it that to my brother out there and get the Mavic Pro 2.

I expect videos on here if you get one :)

I'm tempted to get a Pro 2 as well but Ive not long paid off the Mavic Pro

Last edited:
Soldato
Spent the night watching the various reviews and I'm impressed with the new Mavic 2. Pondering over which to go for, the Zoom or Pro version. The Pro is winning me over with it's better camera with variable aperture but I can see the zoom function on the other model being quite useful and of course it's £200 cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom