Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Don
Just took the Mini 3 out along with the Air 2S. Flew the battery from 100% to auto RTH. Just trying to get a feel for it’s capabilities in a wide open space. Great little thing but when flown back to back against the Air 2S there’s no way this could replace it. The Air 2S is a rocket ship by comparison. So fast and agile.
I’m still out but will review the footage a post some pics when I get home.

Don
I had intended to pick up a mini 3 Pro due to the 249g weight but I think by the time you add the new Looong operator (why have operators id's got ridiculously long this year?) id sticker and an ND filter to the lenses you're gonna be over 250g.
at that point might have well-gone air2s but then that hasn't been given its C rating so if you're gonna have to fly the legacy A3 category after December... might as well get something that uses up some of that 25kg take of weight for the A3.

waiting on an Autel Evo 2 Pro 6K to be delivered.
The ND filters replace the stock lens protector. The mass should be identical.
No way your Op-ID weighs enough to take it over 250g. I’ll weigh mine when I get home. Has an ID on it and a micro sd in it.

Soldato
I had intended to pick up a mini 3 Pro due to the 249g weight but I think by the time you add the new Looong operator (why have operators id's got ridiculously long this year?) id sticker and an ND filter to the lenses you're gonna be over 250g.
at that point might have well-gone air2s but then that hasn't been given its C rating so if you're gonna have to fly the legacy A3 category after December... might as well get something that uses up some of that 25kg take of weight for the A3.

Don't suppose you'll have any footage on YouTube?

Caporegime

I cant understand that. Are filters included in the weight calcs? Only reason I ask is that DJI arent selling the extended battery in the UK or EU becuase that would take the drone over 250g and into a different class but will happily sell you the set of ND filters. Makes no sense.

Shame about them not selling the battery. Would have been useful to be able t use it, albeit knowing your drone would have new restrictions and rules to follow when you do.

Don
I cant understand that. Are filers included in the weight calcs? Only reason I ask is that DJI arent selling the extended battery in the UK or EU becuase that would take the drone over 250g and into a different class but will happily sell you the set of ND filters. Makes no sense.
They won't. As I said, there is a removeable cover on the camera that weighs the same as the ND filters.

Caporegime
Anyone using an ipad Pro with their mavic drones, what's it like?

I used to use an ipad air 2 with my mavic 2 pro. Great viewing size but made the controller massively unbalanced and uncomfortable for any length of flying. So much so I bought an ipad mini instead purely for use with the drone.

Associate
The ND filters replace the stock lens protector. The mass should be identical.
No way your Op-ID weighs enough to take it over 250g. I’ll weigh mine when I get home. Has an ID on it and a micro sd in it.
Oh that is interesting i didn't know that to fit ND filters part of the existing camera comes off good to know.

yeah I was over exaggerating with the ID labels:p ... although saying that, but I doubt hi-viz or waterproof Skinz will be able to fit within the 250g limit??

Don't suppose you'll have any footage on YouTube?
No footage unfortunately apart from my FPV crash test dummies:cry: for recreation, the rest of my fleet is work-related... custom Tarot ZYX-M build, Solo 3DR, Parrot Anafi Work, and this autel Evo II pro if it turns up

I did think about picking up an Air2S but I'm interested to see what happens in July when all drones on the market must have a C rating. Unless they postpone it again?

miss the good old days when we could build whatever, here's an old quad that I built from some fish tank piping and an old PC case back in the day (must be 10 years ago now lol) 10 or 12" props were scary but they could lift! Does anyone remember hobbyking lift contests? wouldn't get away with it now.

IMG_20130622_155349.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone using an ipad Pro with their mavic drones, what's it like?
I have an older iPad Pro that I've used with my personal Mavic Pro Platinum and yes it is good for the screen size but as others say it's rather unwieldy for lengthy usage although saying that I also use a regular recent gen iPad 10.2" for work with the Mavic 2 Pro I fly and it's fine - I've kinda gotten used to it really but yes I'm sure the iPad mini would be the sweet spot.

Caporegime
Havent flown my drone yet. My fly more kit turned up over the weekend though so all 3 batteries now charged and will be taking it for a fly tonight after work, weather permitting.

Soldato
Hi all, I'm sure this has been posted many times, but I am trying to get my head around selling drone photography with a mini 3 pro - I watched Ian in London on YouTube who said that I can earn money from drone photos by only requiring my operator ID and flyer ID is registered and having appropriate commercial insurance for that - I don't need an A2 as I'm not flying larger drones or near people in congested areas.

Is this still correct in summer 2022 ?

I'm a professional photographer by trade & looking to incorporate drone photography in to some things that I do.

Back
Top Bottom