Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Just stick the batteries in Lipo safe bags and you should be fine.

No issue with Thomas cook earlier this summer, security checked with no issues also, I taped over terminals and put in sandwich bags, no fancy lipo bags needed

I have neither and flying in the morning (bad planning I know) I guess what I do have is original Spark packaging case I have removed the propellers and put both batterys in the snug battery compartments.

So battery that was in Spark is now in the compartment I didnt think would be safe to have it still in the drone

Soldato
A quick question for those that have completed a PFCO course and are licensed to fly commercially.

How long does it take to be able to take on paid jobs after you have finished the course? I know the course takes around a week but you then have to have the OPS manual checked before you get your licence and I'm not sure how long that takes.

Associate
Normally you do the course then write your ops manual and take your basic flight test to your ops manual.

Then you can apply to the CAA and that can take 10 days or up to a few months case depending

Don
All sorts. Some of us fly AP rigs, others fly racers. Some of us fly both.
Myself, I've got quite a few ranging from an Inspire 1 Pro through various 250mm, 180mm, and 120mm quads, a 330mm hex, and then down to several toy quads. My latest craze is modding Hubsan X4 sized toy quads with Betaflight capable FCs.

Associate
Thanks. The CAA part looks like that could take the most time then which is a shame, I was offered a job today to survey a roof :(

Insurance is the main problem that's really quite expensive at the moment as it's still a fad for the insurance companies.

Myself I do a lot of aerial topography surveys and creation of 3d models of landscape s and structures via photogrammetry, plus all the small survey work

Soldato
All sorts. Some of us fly AP rigs, others fly racers. Some of us fly both.
Myself, I've got quite a few ranging from an Inspire 1 Pro through various 250mm, 180mm, and 120mm quads, a 330mm hex, and then down to several toy quads. My latest craze is modding Hubsan X4 sized toy quads with Betaflight capable FCs.

Sweet, I'll have to try and remember to keep popping in then, always good to have another place to lurk when it's slow at work xD

We have an FPV celebrity in our midst. A DRL pilot too, none the less.

Get back to the farm with the Spocktra50 guys. Make them make more videos. Use force if you have to.

:D haha cheers, good spot despite my name being slightly different on here! :p

You know what I'd love to fly with the Spocktra50 guys again, sadly they barely fly anymore from what I gather - mostly as Charlie (Alex) got a new job and their hours don't align anymore.

Saying that, I have so many fixed wing projects I've not finished due to drone racing I'm sure they'd all be in a pile of pieces within a few minutes haha!

Soldato
Took the Mavic out on a dog walk today, for what seemed like the first time in ages. Really strong wind, but fortunately it was off the land so I could battle out along the river safe in the knowledge I had a pretty safe and quick return.

p9m5rnk.jpg

An unscientific view, but it feels like the latest firmware update has reduced a little bit of the dynamic range.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Ah man I didn't know there was a drone thread in here, I'll have to get in on it!

Mostly AP rigs, or racing too? :)

I've got a Shendrones Krieger (225) build and a NewBeeDrone BeeBrain 2 based Tinywhoop. Problem is, I can't fly either very well yet!

Any tips on which simulator is most realistic? I had time to fire up the DRL simulator last night, but early access has finished and it's asking my to buy it on Steam. Have been recommended https://www.velocidrone.com/ instead, which is a similar price.

Soldato
I've got a Shendrones Krieger (225) build and a NewBeeDrone BeeBrain 2 based Tinywhoop. Problem is, I can't fly either very well yet!

Any tips on which simulator is most realistic? I had time to fire up the DRL simulator last night, but early access has finished and it's asking my to buy it on Steam. Have been recommended https://www.velocidrone.com/ instead, which is a similar price.

For racing Rotor Rush is hands down my favourite - Velocidrone was ok last time I tried it but not great - though I hear the latest update has much improved it, but not had chance to try it yet. In 2nd is definitely the DRL sim - flies very much like a Racer 3 right now, and well getting to fly the tracks again is just great fun haha

GeX

GeX

Soldato
ah cool, I'll check out Rotor Rush. Oddly, Googling it comes up with an address not far from me in Whitefield, Manchester.

Hopefully brush up my piloting skills because right now I'm still that guy with all the gear and no idea!

Back
Top Bottom