Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Apologies for coming in with such a newbie question... I know nothing about drones but my 4yr old has become obsessed and wants one, wants to watch videos, wants to talk about them nonstop...
Is there a suitable, cheap (ie not-the-end-of-the-world-if-it-gets-broken), repairable, upgradeable starter option? Writing that out I realise I'm probably asking for the moon on a stick...

Caporegime
Apologies for coming in with such a newbie question... I know nothing about drones but my 4yr old has become obsessed and wants one, wants to watch videos, wants to talk about them nonstop...
Is there a suitable, cheap (ie not-the-end-of-the-world-if-it-gets-broken), repairable, upgradeable starter option? Writing that out I realise I'm probably asking for the moon on a stick...

For a FOUR year old?

I'd just get something like a JJRC H11c, it's like sub £50, no you won't be upgrading it ...but no disrespect here, it's a four year old...you would t want then in charge of a racer.

You COULD obviously look at the DJI telloa also

Soldato
For a FOUR year old?

I'd just get something like a JJRC H11c, it's like sub £50, no you won't be upgrading it ...but no disrespect here, it's a four year old...you would t want then in charge of a racer.

You COULD obviously look at the DJI telloa also
Thanks a lot. I know what you mean, and thanks for the suggestion.

I was wondering whether there was a modular option, because I know I'll get sucked into the hobby and end up wanting improvements...

Caporegime
Thanks a lot. I know what you mean, and thanks for the suggestion.

I was wondering whether there was a modular option, because I know I'll get sucked into the hobby and end up wanting improvements...

Haha, for yourself you mean? You don't really get many small toy quads that are modular, unless you go down the micro route

If for you, could start off on an Eachine Wizard, lots of spares available. But for photography I haven't a clue.

Associate

Why not try something in the Tiny Whoop class. These are very small, indoor or very calm outdoor models but can be upgraded and repaired if needed. Blade Inductrix FPV Racer RTF will give you a package to start with.

They bounce off things (other than peoples hair) so are safe for flying around kids, sorry, sorry, by kids. If you find your want to stick with it you can upgrade the transmitter, the video receiver, the motors, the frame, pretty much everything.

Last edited:
Associate
Why not try something in the Tiny Whoop class. These are very small, indoor or very calm outdoor models but can be upgraded and repaired if needed. Blade Inductrix FPV Racer RTF will give you a package to start with.

They bounce off things (other than peoples hair) so are safe for flying around kids, sorry, sorry, by kids. If you find your want to stick with it you can upgrade the transmitter, the video receiver, the motors, the frame, pretty much everything.

Good advice

Soldato
When I said flight times I meant more battery cycles / how long the quad has been flown for, not how long the batteries last :)

That's a very good point but I'd still say most likely you'd want to go for the P4 as having one for work it's just a very nice bit of kit!
Gets me on average about 20 mins flight time and it takes the higher capacity P4P batteries too which is handy.
The camera specs are very similar if not exactly the same but might want to double check that!

Soldato
e6eQJ56.jpg

Hadleigh Castle (what's left).

I'm a bit gutted with this. The pictures came out quite good, but the videos were absolutely crap, they looked like an oil painting :(

Soldato
I've had a tough time recently with this quad. First just dropping power and then randomly smoking motors. Good to get out with it and have no issues
*Snip*

I never tire of watching racing or freestyle FPV drone footage. It seems like the most visceral thing you can do without risking life & limb.

Associate
See comments in you tube description of the video I put on last page. Are you running 1080 60 superview?. I have session 4 which only does 1080 30 superview and that gives me jello where 1080 60 non-superview does not. I was looking for a reason to get a 5!

Associate
neat video and smooth, I have been thinking of getting a session to fit on my quad although I already have and use a hero 4 black for the 3DR solo just wish I could mount it to my mini quad a vifly x150 which I must admit is very good for straight out of the box on beta flight.

what radio system are you using in that video it looks as though you could fly low for at least 500m+? My little vifly keeps fail-safe recently at half the normal distance. I suspect it must be damage from multiple crashes? looking into an upgrade from a flysky i6s and receiver. I have been thinking frsky but then the new v2 jumper transmitter looks like a practical option for people that have a multitude of quads.

any recommendations on an ARF freestyle quad? something i can fit a go pro to as i dont think the old hero4 will fit this vifly.

Back
Top Bottom