MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Skip to 1m44s that's WOT second , flatshift to third then the same into 4th. I only struggle with wet when trying to put full power down in 1st and 2nd (Although I don't make particularly big torque figures)

I don't know about that but mine makes 400lbft with a 4.1 rear end and it will spin 5th in the wet on ad08r. For comparison Eagle f1 will hook up second from a roll in wet with the exact same setup, it's a night and day difference.

Soldato
My 328i on ad08 behaved as though it had banana skins for tyres in the wet too.

Still keep buying them though, never found anything which comes near them for fun factor.

Man of Honour
I guess this just solidifies the point that opinions/experiences with tyres vary so much between different people. Outside of the ditchfinder end of the market there isn't really a right or wrong answer

Associate
plenty of people run them in the sprinting circles and with cars equally powerful, its rare to see anyone struggling with them, perhaps its just a question of pressure.

Associate
Any advice on best street tyres for Mazda MX5 ND? Currently on OEM Bridgestone S001 205/45 17 W. Starting to think the best choice is either staying OEM or Michelin PS4?

Cheers.

Associate
Thanks. Solely for road use. I assume going Y rating is fine instead of W (I know Y is a faster speed rating)?

Thing is I've nothing really to compare to as this is my first MX-5 and handles so well anyway. Just for info the Bridgstones have done 17k spirited miles which I think is pretty good. Between 2.5mm and 3mm now so thinking the entire set should be replaced in the next few weeks.

Caporegime
As I'm currently 20 miles from the car (I keep the MX5 at the mother in laws at the moment) is there any way of knowing either by reg, vin, or model, if my car has the smaller or larger brake setup?

2003, 6-Speed, s-VT, 1.8.

Man of Honour
As I'm currently 20 miles from the car (I keep the MX5 at the mother in laws at the moment) is there any way of knowing either by reg, vin, or model, if my car has the smaller or larger brake setup?

2003, 6-Speed, s-VT, 1.8.

Will be big brakes. I have a brand new set of MTEC dimpled rear discs sat here for big brake cars (If youre replacing the rears)

Caporegime
Thanks for the disks @Frozennova.

New problem now, nearside front wheel speed sensor (for the ABS) has decided that it's going to die. So now need to work out if I should tackle the sensor replacement, or just get a replacement upright with the sensor already in it. Seems from doing a bit of reading that the sensors never like to come out, the bolts snap when trying to remove them (even when pre-soaked in penetrating fluid), and the sensors themselves seem to rust-weld to the car.

ForScan Readout said:
===ABS DTC C1155===
Code: C1155 - Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Circuit Failure

Soldato
Going to put my MX5 up for sale this weekend. It's a 2.5 Sport, in Blue. 03 plate with around 70,000 miles. What do you think a fair price would be? I was thinking £1400. It's had both sills welded (though one wasn't painted so looks a bit rough).

It's been replaced with a white, diesel Golf. Gah! So boring, but new job means new car and there's really no point keeping the Mazda.

Soldato
Going to put my MX5 up for sale this weekend. It's a 2.5 Sport, in Blue. 03 plate with around 70,000 miles. What do you think a fair price would be? I was thinking £1400. It's had both sills welded (though one wasn't painted so looks a bit rough).

It's been replaced with a white, diesel Golf. Gah! So boring, but new job means new car and there's really no point keeping the Mazda.
That is a very depressing swap :p:(

Associate

It depends on what the front chassis rails are like tbh. I'd want to see pictures of them with the undertray off because if they are on the way out then I would expect to pay about half you're asking price.

Caporegime

I'd keep it! Not sure what you are paying insurance wise, but keeping mine alongside the S3 is costing me peanuts, partially helped I guess by my age and the fact that it's on a limited mileage policy.

Circa £40 a month to keep it taxed and insured.

Back
Top Bottom