MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Caporegime
Greenlight have been good enough for me that I didn't even shop around last December.

Cheapest quote on Compare the market was £750 on mine with no mods declared. I'm paying £450 a year with Greenlight, 5 miles, all mods declared. They only charges for mods are thing power related and they do it in bands so you can do whatever you like upto say 200bhp etc.

That looks really straight, the diff might and hit miss on that one as it's probably a Super Fuji

Cheers. Cheapest quote so far on the comparison sites is £210, so hopefully greenlight won't be massively more than that! Care to expand on the diff "issue" please? :)

Man of Honour
Cheers. Cheapest quote so far on the comparison sites is £210, so hopefully greenlight won't be massively more than that! Care to expand on the diff "issue" please? :)
Late 2002 or early 03 onwards are a Super Fuji Tochigi diff. It's a clutch type and they're known to break the clutch petals off especially when used on a brake tester at an MOT

Caporegime
Weight, expense of modding, and a more detracted driver involvement would see me preferring a Mk1 or MK2/2.5 over a MK3.

Don't get me wrong, if this were to be a daily driver I'd be all over a MK3, but it's only for a bit of raw fun.

I wouldn't say that as the engine is so strangled in OEM form it is quite easy to tune. I have been in a NC with basic bolt on suspension and BBR 200 upgrade and it was fantastic. 2.0 start at 2k now and BBR upgrade kits are very cheap as well.

Also greenlight will not insure a car that is not modified.

Caporegime
It's got cosmetic mods, and will have at the very least an exhaust on it within a week, so I'll be OK, I'll just pre-declare the mods.

It also appears to have a strut brace, unless they were standard on the NBFL.

Caporegime
It's got cosmetic mods, and will have at the very least an exhaust on it within a week, so I'll be OK, I'll just pre-declare the mods.

It also appears to have a strut brace, unless they were standard on the NBFL.

Greenlight also have a point of contact on most big owners clubs so if you ever need to add mods just give them a quick PM and they will update your details FOC :)

Soldato
I wouldn't say that as the engine is so strangled in OEM form it is quite easy to tune. I have been in a NC with basic bolt on suspension and BBR 200 upgrade and it was fantastic. 2.0 start at 2k now and BBR upgrade kits are very cheap as well.

Also greenlight will not insure a car that is not modified.
Wicked video. I'm not sure that I'd call a 2k upgrade cheap when the cars are only worth a few times that. I'd love to get the 200 upgrade on mine at some point, still a good chunk of the cars worth though when I only paid 7k for it. Suspension is first to change though!

Associate
Think he is saying the cars are from 2k, again mods wise things have pretty comparable levels between the models, NA is tuning costs what it costs.

In that vid, the car is not BBR level, its quite lowly modded, the basics on a NC really, that performance there is the max driver upgrade, he is properly leveled up :D

Greenlight were the best for me also once I set off down the mod path.

Soldato
A few dealer shots, hopefully picking it up on Saturday. Quick question, what are Greenlight like as insurers? Trying to go with someone mod friendly (and their additional track cover is a nice touch), but having never used them before I'm just interested in opinions of people who've had dealings with them.

Also looks like it needs lowering a tad, the arch gaps are comical!

Interesting to see as i've just refurbed my wheels (same as those) in the same colour. Just need to put some rubber on them and mine will look very similar to yours. Except exhaust, rollbar and it's dropped.

Soldato
What exhaust do you have Gayjin?

Cobalt on my recommendation IIRC. Speaking of which how are you finding the Cobalt @Gayjin

As Frozennova said - I did look at getting a Racing Beat, but didn't notice that the prices were ex vat, plus a comedy delivery fee to Ireland. Pleased with the Cobalt, seems good quality and seems pretty quite (I must be getting old). I live in the country over here and leave the house early so a loud exhaust would be even more noticeable that in the city.

As for feedback - it's been fine although i need to have a closer look this weekend as the NCT(Irish MOT) is on monday. No real other issues except I split a exhaust hanger, but I may have nicked it whilst trying to fit it.

Caporegime
Getting some AD08Rs fitted all round tomorrow (the odd ditchfinders on the car at the moment aren't particularly confidence inspiring, already had the back end out in the bone dry, without provoking it too much).

Any recommendations for discs and pads for the stock calipers (i'll look to do a brake upgrade in the future, but at the moment I just want to get something "OK" on there)? Was thinking DS2500 pads and... no idea on discs.

Soldato
Any mk3 owners able to advise regarding servicing.

I see that on the official recommendation it says that the plugs only need changing every 62,500 miles. Did you follow this or not? Mine is at about 45k but is 8 years old and it seems like a long time between intervals.

Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
Was that the same before you turbo'd your MX5? Or do you think that is mainly a result of increased power?

I only fitted the brake upgrade a few months before the turbo so it had only done maybe 1500 miles at most on this brake setup. Wouldn't like to say whether it's down the EBC pads being an aggressive compound, the disks being soft or how hard they're worked with LOL power

Back
Top Bottom