My 200mph budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Very few cars hit 200mph at Brunters, you will need not only to have lots of horses but a quick entry speed onto the straight to see 200mph. Dangerous will know better, but I think Leon's RUF was pushing 700bhp and that hit 211mph, perhaps more but then that's a RUF with 'proper' horses. Seeing it pull away from an SLR 722 demonstrates what I mean about proper horses. Having said that, the MRC tuned S4 was around 650bhp when I saw it and that was seeing 200mph through the trap so it is very feasible. That car today has 850bhp.

Associate
Very few cars hit 200mph at Brunters, you will need not only to have lots of horses but a quick entry speed onto the straight to see 200mph. Dangerous will know better, but I think Leon's RUF was pushing 700bhp and that hit 211mph, perhaps more but then that's a RUF with 'proper' horses. Seeing it pull away from an SLR 722 demonstrates what I mean about proper horses. Having said that, the MRC tuned S4 was around 650bhp when I saw it and that was seeing 200mph through the trap so it is very feasible. That car today has 850bhp.

The list of exotica and big money cars that can't do 200mph at Brunters is impressive, the sort of grunt required is probably best left to a 520d or S-Max, so if he does do it, it will be remarkable given the budget. I don't think the corner exit/entry will make much of a difference, it does save on a hard launch though.

Not sure if a downpipe exiting by the drivers door will get past the db level though?

Associate
OP
well bit of a small random update today, since i got the apexi ecu ive just celotaped it to where my pocket pc is on the left hand side of the gearstick, this was just to monitor is on friday while i top up with fuel and let the ecu learn the idle.

The issue was that it was so far away from my line of sight that i had to take my eyes well away from the road to monitor it, now after neally driving into a curb last night while watching my knock readings i decided its better to look for something to attach it to sooner rather than later.

Ill also need it for my top speed runs and i dont want to be looking away from the tarmac for that

So i theres the r magic power fc holder from japan but they are £50 and thats a lot for just a piece of plastic, so i started looking at the commander and thought, well its the shape of a phone, why dont i just get a phone holder.

so i started searching the net for one, i found a few that attach to the windscreen but didnt fancy that as people might think its a sat nav and smash my car open when i go to tesco etc.

then i saw the ones that fit to your air vents, better i thought so i sat in the car and looked straight head to see if the vents were in my eye line, not quite.

so i looked at my dash, and thought where is the best place to put it, well i dont smoke and where the cigarette lighter would be good.

so i sat and made a little design on a scrap piece of paper and commited to making myself one during this week.

Anyway i was walking around tesco today and walked past the mobile phone part, decided to have a quick look and what do you know, they had the perfect thing.

Also as an added bonus they reduced them down from £6.84 to £1.99!!

So snapped it up and took it home.
p25011021380001.jpg

first things first, cut of the little charger cable that i dont need.
p25011021390002.jpg

where fag lighter is
p25011021360002.jpg

attached commander to holder
p25011021400001.jpg

plug into fag lighter and adjust height
p25011021410001.jpg

check visability...seems good
p25011021350001.jpg

turn lights on for night mode
p25011021360001.jpg

a day full on win it seems.

anything that helps me stay in budget is a good day for me

Last edited:
Soldato
this thread is awesome! i hope it all goes well for you. just wondering, are you going to give the rx7 a lick of paint? or are you going to just keep it red?

Associate
OP

yeh i read up on leons car a lot to see what he had done and watched a few videos of how he takes the bottom corner as he claimed to have give him better final top speed.

He did 206mph with 650bhp and 650ft/lb so ill have more power and less weight than him but he will have more torque so it should be a fair comparison, im not expecting 206mph though:p

The list of exotica and big money cars that can't do 200mph at Brunters is impressive, the sort of grunt required is probably best left to a 520d or S-Max, so if he does do it, it will be remarkable given the budget. I don't think the corner exit/entry will make much of a difference, it does save on a hard launch though.

Not sure if a downpipe exiting by the drivers door will get past the db level though?
well ive been thinking about doing it at RAF woodbridge as there are no noise limits and the distance is the same, we shall see, they dont db test the vehicle when you turn up, as far as im aware but they will probbaly tell me off once they here it going down the runway, to be fair i doubt they will have a company car quick enough to catch me to tell me to go home if im going for 200mph

this thread is awesome! i hope it all goes well for you. just wondering, are you going to give the rx7 a lick of paint? or are you going to just keep it red?

nah, not gonna bother painting it, the paint is fine, it could do with a detail to bring it to its best but overall its not to bad

Soldato
Just out of interest what is your 'background' with cars? Any racing, track days, previous builds or interesting projects? Seems like a massive project for a novice to jump into and you seem clued up enough to have tinkered with a few bits before!

Associate
OP
Just out of interest what is your 'background' with cars? Any racing, track days, previous builds or interesting projects? Seems like a massive project for a novice to jump into and you seem clued up enough to have tinkered with a few bits before!

ive built a few cars over the years for myself, got into drag racing, karting, few track days when money allowed just the usual things like that.

Then got into building engines myself, couple of cosworth engines, forged a 300zx engine mostly for friends and myself, did a couple of projects, put a hayabusa engine in the back of a fiat cinquento and a big power r5 turbo

Would this be the white reno 5 turbo toaster?

that would be me, do we know each other?

Associate
OP
haha rob, dont worry about it, its all good fun, this thread seems to chug along very nicely, plus its fun to talk about it from people not into rotarys, they might come out with fresh ideas i never thought about

Soldato
Great thread! I think it's wonderful that there are people like yourself that have gumption and are willing to push for an achievement and not be staid and mundane- especially on a limited budget. All the best.

Associate
it knocks my golf project into a cocked hat mate lol
apparantly mine would get close to 200 with longer gearing mine will hit the limiter at 185

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom