My 200mph budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
damm, there was me on paint drawing all these ideas out, i would have been great if i was there next year.

the turbo setup is very easy, we could your the carberature off a r5 turbo as thats designed to run with low 20mm restrictions, also its an easy and cheap way to control fueling under boost, running a t25 off say a 200sx we would have around 150bhp+ to play with.

All way way to big.

The turbo will soon choke as you approach Mach1 across the restrictor and the vacuum will suck oil through the compressor side shaft seals. Looking at maximum revs of 10k or so so that power would be asking some pretty serious torque from a restricted 600cc!

To clairify there is a SINGLE 20mm restrictor that has to be post throttle.

Associate
OP
your saying once a certain airflow is reached the air literally backs up at the 20mm restrictor?

When trying to force more air threw a restriction you can increase the boost pressure to componsate for that.

150bhp at 10krpm would be 78lbs of torque, not a lot

throwing boost threw a 20mm restriction you normally max out at around 25lbs of air i would say.

What vacuum do you speak off, theres a vacuum on the inlet side of the turbo but its designed for that, the outlet of the compressor side will be under pressure.

Soldato
your saying once a certain airflow is reached the air literally backs up at the 20mm restrictor?

When trying to force more air threw a restriction you can increase the boost pressure to componsate for that.

150bhp at 10krpm would be 78lbs of torque, not a lot

throwing boost threw a 20mm restriction you normally max out at around 25lbs of air i would say.

What vacuum do you speak off, theres a vacuum on the inlet side of the turbo but its designed for that, the outlet of the compressor side will be under pressure.

Its supersonice airflow. Nozzles act as diffusers and diffusers acts as nozzles. Essentially the mass flow through the restrictor has a cap limit that you can not exceed. Once you you do that the post restrictor to turbo pipe pressure rapidly drops and you end up with a big pressure drop across the turbo shaft seal and the oil behind it = smoky time. Been then got the Tshirt on a Garrett GT15. Vacuum i speak of is a pressure massively lower than ambient, you wont see that on a road spec turbo application....

You won't make 78lbft on a 20mm restricted 600cc at 10k rpm engine - the rules state restrictor BEFORE turbo, not after ala WRC.

Last edited:
Soldato
We rev to 15. :p

Exactly, so you then stick a drive ratio 2/3s that of a turbo engine and enjoy far more predictable throttle transients, just as much tractive effort at the wheels and a nice flat torque curve = faster circuit car.

Aswell as saving cost.... weight and complexity. Turbos only really work in formula student on stuff like 250cc engines.

Associate
OP
decided to sort out the wiring for the wideband tonight, get it labelled and sleeved, as ill hook it all tomorow and dont fancy being sat underneath my dash all day, now just need to connect to ground and find a ignition 12v live and im done

p10061003590001.jpg

p10061004000003.jpg

p10061004000001.jpg

Man of Honour
Sorry to Hijack the thread:

BigglesPiP, what team are you, I'm assuming it's John Moores if you're #22? I'm going to be design judging at FSUK this year, so you might be running in to me at some point ;)
(I'm a Uni of Birmingham FS vet now, so if you need any judging advice, give me a shout!)

Dave

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well recieved my water pump pulley yesterday so decided to get it fitted.
p23061020250001.jpg

Now you might think this is just a bit of bling but this has a fundemental change to the belt system on an rx7

due to the nature of a rotary engine, they require a lot of fuel to pretty much do anything, which means when idleing they put out a lot of crap.

very strict emmisions around the world has caused problems for the rotary engine so what the designers did was fit a belt driven pump onto the engine that pumps pure air into the exhaust system to fool the MOT places into thinking the casr pumps out very little fumes.

It also has the effect of helping to cool the cat, an average piston engine when pushed very hard will get up to 1300-1400f exhaust gas temperatures, a rotary will put that sort of temps out cruising, and can get up to 1800f flat out, as you can imagine its very easy to cook a cat in that situation, infact its a very common thing on rotarys that they can cause the cat to infact collapse from this.

Now on my engine i have removed the cat, so pump is purely a parasitic loss that is just pumping air to an open ended pipe under the car, plus it will be in the way when i fit my big turbo

If you look at where water filler cap is, you can just see the pump the left hand side of it with a pipe coming off the top which feeds the pump its fresh air.
13935_207600351656_643856656_3594560_5403124_n.jpg

This is then removed and looks like this, weights 5kg aswell so another little weight saving cant hurt.
p23061020250002.jpg

Leaves this gap here, you can now see the front turbo and another black bracket that helped hold the pump, this is then removed.
p23061020260001.jpg

we then remove the original water pulley, the reason this is removed is because the pulley runs off the outside of the belt, while normally this is fine as 60% is in contact so theres no slippage, with the pump removed this becomes an issue.
p24061014140001.jpg

so we replace the waterpump pulley with one that has rougher outer edge as you can see from the picture to gain back some of that friction
Bitz4Sale101_1.jpg

installation is pretty easy, just use the 4 new bolts provided and bolt back up
p23061021270002.jpg

next up is replacing the alternator pulley, this is partially to make it look better than the stock one and also because the pulley is larger it makes choosing a new belt much easier as you can use a standard 78cm belt.
This was a bit of a pain in the arse to get off, ended up using a mates impact gun as i bent a screwdriver trying to hold the alternator internals in place while unscrewing the bolt.
]
p23061021270001.jpg

once bolted up i put my new belt on
p24061013570001.jpg

one issue ive had with my new radiator is that because the inlet pipe doesnt stick out enough, my air filters have been pushing on the waterpipe which meant the rad fan was catching the pipe....as you can imagine thats gonna end in disaster so now i have all this extra space with the airpump gone i decided to move my airfilters back into the engine back to relieve the pressure on the water pipe.

p24061013570002.jpg

started it up and all sorted, i know its only a small update, but slowly getting there

Associate
OP
yeh, its just a bling thing to be fair, just so you can show to random people you have a rotary engine like its some proud affair.

its equally weighed all around so there shouldnt be any balance issues

Last edited:
Soldato
very strict emmisions around the world has caused problems for the rotary engine so what the designers did was fit a belt driven pump onto the engine that pumps pure air into the exhaust system to fool the MOT places into thinking the casr pumps out very little fumes.

It also has the effect of helping to cool the cat, an average piston engine when pushed very hard will get up to 1300-1400f exhaust gas temperatures, a rotary will put that sort of temps out cruising, and can get up to 1800f flat out, as you can imagine its very easy to cook a cat in that situation, infact its a very common thing on rotarys that they can cause the cat to infact collapse from this.

Not quite right there, in fact completely arse-about-face! :) Air injection is designed to dump air into the exhaust system (usually right into the manifold, after the exhaust valve or port) to combust any remaining fuel, reducing unburnt hydrocarbons and also lowering CO emissions.

Air injection does not cool the catalytic convertor either, it is infact designed to increase the operating temperature of it (primarily upon starting, when it's cold - helps it light up quicker) by providing it with oxygen to further burn and heat - as catalytic convertors are more efficient when they are at peak temperature.

There are usually some variations on it's operation - for example, on the RX7 the AIP pump shuts off at about 2000/3000RPM as the heat from combustion is enough to sustain the operational temperature of the catalytic convertor :) - but the general principle is always the same.

Air injection is a form of very early emissions control system, the Air injection reactor (AIR) reduces the products of incomplete combustion (hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide) by injecting fresh air into the exhaust manifolds of the engine. In the presence of this oxygen-laden air, further combustion occurs in the manifold and exhaust pipe. Generally the air is delivered through an engine-driven 'smog pump' and air tubing to the manifolds. This technology was introduced in 1966 in California, and was in use for the next several decades. It is not generally in use any longer, having been supplanted by cleaner burning engines and better catalytic converters.

Due to overenrichment of the mixture during the cold start phase, there is an increased amount of uncombusted carbon monoxide in the exhaust. Secondary Air Injection (AIR) improves secondary oxidation in the catalytic converter and therefore reduces emissions. The heat produced by secondary oxidation greatly reduces start-up time for the catalytic converter, therefore improving exhaust quality during the cold start phase significantly.

The AIP pump is a parasitic loss though, as you say, and well worth removing if you've ditched the rest of the AIP system. Just don't forget to plug off all the ports, don't want that unmetered air getting into the exhaust system :D

Good progress!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks lashout, yeh its interesting to watch itself shut off when you get to 2krpm plus, clever little system, on the rx7 there was a pipe that ran from the pump to just infront of the cat so i made the assumption it flowed air into it to help with what i mentioned above, but if im wrong thanks for the info :)

luckily i plugged all the ports when the engine was being rebuilt, just didnt have the spare change to get the pulley kit at the time so ran the pump basically doing nothing.

The cat does struggle with massive temps though, infact when it gets to hot the heat light comes on to let you know, i assumed that mazda thought most people would back off the throttle and let it cool down, maybe dropping below 3k which would chuck air at it.

saying that it took a flat out run at 165mph before i got my cat that hot

Soldato
I hope that's the only shape the pulley comes in, and you haven't chosen a rotor shaped one.

Sorry to Hijack the thread:

BigglesPiP, what team are you, I'm assuming it's John Moores if you're #22?

Yes, spent today getting Percy's fat head under the line between the roll hoops. Think the scrutineers will mind if the shifter is tricky to use, but lets the shoulder template past?

Associate
OP
you can get the normal shape ones but they are discontinued on ebay at the moment, tried for a couple of months to get them but doesnt look like china are making anymore.

I could get a greddy set but they are £150 for the set compared to £75 what i paid for these

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom