My 200mph budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
More airflow through the rad, surely, I'm not saying it won't be worse, but the brief of this project (high speed, low cost) doesn't necessarily call for cooling upgrades.

But all you've done with it so far is drag and auto-test style stuff, which is the actual worst discipline for cooling.

Soldato
It means the cooling system as a whole is still governed by the stat, and not the airflow the rad is getting.

Yes I know, that was my exact point. :s the only conclusion you could come to from that data was the thermostat rating. It could be 50% open now instead of 30% whilst it maintains 86C.

Tbh if it's ducted nicely to prevent spill you only need around 25% aperture size the cooling pack area. That said this is a seriously thick stack up so the more the better.

Caporegime
More airflow through the rad, surely, I'm not saying it won't be worse, but the brief of this project (high speed, low cost) doesn't necessarily call for cooling upgrades.

But all you've done with it so far is drag and auto-test style stuff, which is the actual worst discipline for cooling.

No your right. Running a car flat out for nearly a minute doesn't need cooling to be considered.

Fact is that the air hitting the rad will be not only restricted by the intercooler but also warmed up by. The real test will be on a top speed run

Soldato
Yes I know, that was my exact point. :s the only conclusion you could come to from that data was the thermostat rating. It could be 50% open now instead of 30% whilst it maintains 86C.

Tbh if it's ducted nicely to prevent spill you only need around 25% aperture size the cooling pack area. That said this is a seriously thick stack up so the more the better.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were saying that the statistic was completely useless.

No your right. Running a car flat out for nearly a minute doesn't need cooling to be considered.

Fact is that the air hitting the rad will be not only restricted by the intercooler but also warmed up by. The real test will be on a top speed run

Please; there's no need for harsh sarcasm, this thread has been fun so far. I said the project "doesn't necessarily call for cooling upgrades". I didn't say "yea, it'll be fine."

You are right; Cooling does need to be considered, and it has been quite a bit so far. As you said, the needs will become clear on the initial high speed tests.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like a great project! Hope you carry on mapping yourself and stay away from the likes of re-worx/WGT, lot of people saying they aren't as good as all they cracked up to be!

Associate
OP

this is indeed true, i am now currently governed by the thermostat...as before infact, it still needs a lot of work, like fitting my undertray again, i know some of the air is entering the bumper and flowing under the car so there will be some cooling increases by doing that.

The reason its not on the car is because the cooler and rad are coming out again on thursday so i can re-install my engine loom properly, on that day everything will go back together and ill do some proper high load tests.

its actually around 32secs that it needs to be flat out for, with this in mind i beleive i have the correct setup but theory only gets you so far, probably next week ill try to do some 140mph+ work to see how it copes

Looks like a great project! Hope you carry on mapping yourself and stay away from the likes of re-worx/WGT, lot of people saying they aren't as good as all they cracked up to be!

From what ive seen reworx arnt a bad place, there mapping seems pretty consistant fromt he afr graphs ive seen.

WGT i wouldnt touch with a bargepole for mapping, run them way to rich and ive never once seen a car thats been mapped by them make power ive been impressed with.

Ill do all my own mapping, but at 2bar on racegas at around 700bhp ill probably ask for a little bit of help on the ignition timing as this is in the unknown to me

Associate
OP
[FnG]magnolia;17113230 said:
This is a really interesting thread but it does remind me of how poor my mechanical ability is. Looking forward to seeing this completed.

Anyone can learn, im all self taught, only thing i ever got taught was my electrical and mechanical apprentiship, which means i can use 99% of tools and machinery for working metals

Caporegime
its actually around 32secs that it needs to be flat out for, with this in mind i beleive i have the correct setup but theory only gets you so far, probably next week ill try to do some 140mph+ work to see how it copes

I guess this is the corner to 200mph rather than 0-200mph?

Associate
OP
yes, basically ill be fully on the throttle on the apex of the corner until i hit 200.

im not doing a 0-200 because even though my diff is braced, it wont take a big launch with that much power and i risk blowing it up on the start line.

Just gotta be careful i dont get a massive 100mph sideways incident trying to get the power down to early as messing it up will hamper my run

Soldato
Who did the welding on the IC TT? I'm in the process of doing a Vmount, but need someone fairly local who can do it for me. I live not too far from stoke-on-trent

This is how far i am atm
Photo-0067.jpg

Photo-0078.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
enhanced performance down south...if you want someone closer, theres a place in stoke that would do the same sort of work for £100, they are a big aluminum welding company who i got a quote from and ive seen there work and its top quality, i can track there details down for you if you like?

Soldato
nice thread made good reading for my Monday morning.

I do like the RX7s wish I had kept mine now but i needed more doors and i struggled to get in and out of it (yes im a bit of a fatty)

DSC00372.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
^^^ I recognise that pic, it was taken at the Tatsu or UJCC Bristol meet was it not? Were you still there when Phil's bonnet flipped up on his R33 GTR? £££'s worth of carbon bonnet destroyed :(

Loved that rex BTW :cool:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ahhh yeah it's fitting into place now, I thought I knew you but couldn't quite place exactly who you were. The good old RRR days, I like to think I've grown out of all that now :o

Soldato
indeed i have a nissan note (the Mrs drives) and a pug 306 runabout atm

loud exhausts outside my house annoy me and cars with garish bodykits offend my eyes.

i still like the speed however but stick to the Ring and trackdays now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom