My first BMW

& erm, you won't get 40+mpg out of the 530i, but the figures still ain't bad for the engine.

Yes you will - it's an N53 direct injection engine. It has a combined consumption figure of 36mpg and is easily capable of 40+ on Motorway trips without needing to drive like a granny. It runs lean at partial load. It is almost 20% more economical than the E39 530i was.

Very nice, and good price too :)

& erm, you won't get 40+mpg out of the 530i, but the figures still ain't bad for the engine.

Enjoy! :)

Of course it will!

I managed 38mpg in an old Jaaaaag today on the motorway today holding around 60-65mph, a BMW with a modern direct injection engine will better 40 easily. :)

[TW]Fox;20821187 said:
The key to this deal is the mileage low enough to get the BMW warranty. With that in place it's fantastic deal - reliability becomes a non-issue and you can enjoy the genuine 40mpg+ capability of this engine :)

That would be ideal, great car with no real worry.

Out of interest how oftern do these go wrong and are we talking leave you at the side of motorway broken or plod to the garage and get fixed broken?

There are quite genuine issues - mostly around the high pressure fuel pump and the injection system. When it goes, it can often be 'by the side of the road' stuff unfortunately.

There is a recall in place for the fuel pump in North America on the N54 engines (They dont get the N53 over there).

My ATR is rubbish on fuel and it will nudge 40 mpg on the motorway I'm careful, mid 30's probably being a more realistic figure. This fallacy of petrols being uneconomical (post mid 90's) is just rubbish and yet another misconception that derv buyers use to justify the extra expense of buying a diseasel and fuelling it with more expensive fuel to cover 8000 miles a year with lots of short journeys sub 6 miles in town traffic to get to work.

Seems to me that people buy diesel for the sake of having a diesel engine where more often than not a petrol would be a better choice.

Wow - Nice car :)

How bad was the original advert?

terrible one liner with Nokia 3210 photos from a distance

Very nice, and good price too :)

Enjoy! :)

average 36 mpg today and well I was trying it out if you know what I mean ;)

[TW]Fox;20821372 said:
There are quite genuine issues - mostly around the high pressure fuel pump and the injection system. When it goes, it can often be 'by the side of the road' stuff unfortunately.

There is a recall in place for the fuel pump in North America on the N54 engines (They dont get the N53 over there).

its had two re calls for injectors / fuel pump and the owner paid for one rough idle resulting in one injector

value wise RAC hpi valued it at 11999 private and it stuck well out on A/T the others were older, higher mileage or lesser spec

[TW]Fox;20821216 said:
No. The going rate for good'un is a good few thousand more. He benefitted from the fact the seller was a wealthy chap who was particularly unconcerned with getting maximum cash for the car, combined with a simply terrible ability at writing adverts. I almost didnt post the link at first because I thought it was dodgy given price and poor advert :p

Sweet. I do like a good OcUK motors spec me with a happy ending.

It did seem a bit cheap to me, hence my question. Just proves you can't always judge a car by the advert.

Sweet. I do like a good OcUK motors spec me with a happy ending.

It did seem a bit cheap to me, hence my question. Just proves you can't always judge a car by the advert.

Spoke to the guy first and it seemed ok, phoned my local BMW who gave me some basic info then phoned the garage he bought it from and had always had it serviced at and they were very helpful, couldn't tell me any personal data but could tell me the s/h and any recalls, then went to look at it and agreed a price subject to hpi, hpi check came back all good, double checked it against the v5 the owner had.

Advert was very poor, guy had never sold a car before so was pretty green, however hd did say he had a few phone calls in between offering him full money then and there and why he was selling it so cheap, I'm a bit surprised a dealer didn't pick it up cash quickly, I'm sure it'd be on a forecourt for 13999

[TW]Fox;20821283 said:
you can enjoy the genuine 40mpg+ capability of this engine

[TW]Fox;20821283 said:
Yes you will - it's an N53 direct injection engine. It has a combined consumption figure of 36mpg and is easily capable of 40+ on Motorway trips without needing to drive like a granny.

40mpg on a run is not "real-world" 40! Mid-to high 30s is far more likely as a long-term average for mixed driving. I mean how many people actually achieve the combined figure on newer cars without driving like a granny! Are you tryng to mislead us? :p

Back
Top Bottom