My first BMW

40mpg on a run is not "real-world" 40! Mid-to high 30s is far more likely as a long-term average for mixed driving. I mean how many people actually achieve the combined figure on newer cars without driving like a granny! Are you tryng to mislead us? :p

If I had meant mixed driving then I would have stated mixed driving. I was very clear in what I said and I stand by it. It is capable of more than 40mpg, and in a second post which you've also outlined I explained the circumstances in which it would do it. The only misleading going on here is with you, desperately trying to imply I said it does 40mpg round town or something daft.

:confused:

I once drove the 525i from Southampton to Plymouth - a route containing mostly A roads and only 6 miles of Motorway. It returned an astonishing 38mpg. My 530i, itself hardly thirsty on Motorway trips, only does about 31ish on that route. The N53 is a remarkably fuel efficient engine. Get it on a long Motorway trip and you'll be amazed. Don't take the usual misguided line of 'Oh, its a big engine, it can't be efficient'. It is. It's been specifically designed to be and sadly thats the reason why its so unreliable.

Last edited:
If someone says a car "genuinely" does 40mpg, I wouldnt have thought that it would be only under certain conditions. Doesnt sound genuine to me.

What a strange viewpoint. I said it was 'genuinelly capable', which it is. I didnt say 'it will do a minimum of' or 'it always does'. I said genuinely capable.

Just like a VAG 2.0 TDI is genuinelly capable of doing 55mpg, despite the fact it wont do it around town.

The very nature of fuel economy figures are that they are 'only under certain conditions'. There is no car that offers identical fuel consumption irrespective of how its used!

My car for example does 20mpg - but 'only under certain conditions'. An average is fairly useless as everyones driving is made up of a different balance of routes and driving style. Knowing what a car does on a Motorway trip, out of town and around town is far far more useful as you can better estimate your personal fuel economy from that.

It is therefore not unusual or misleading to claim that a car designed for long distance driving is 'genuinelly capable' of 40mpg when doing.. long distance driving.

Last edited:
Bit of an update if you care, cleaned it myself today so managed to get close up tho the paint, seems in great condition and had some recent wax of some sort, two small stone chips on the bonnet which have been touched up and a small impression on the boot, looks like it could push out from inside, about the size of a 20p and no paint damage almost a thumb imprint.

Been over a week now so have really been through the car, loving the powahh a M5 or 550 must be awesome :)

Everything works as it should no surprises

I looked at a 'M' steering wheel and gear knob but these are like new and I think it could be a waste of money, front tyres are 3mm and rears not far off so a full set of boots will be soon.

Some more photos again from my DHD so not the greatest especially as I have a 20D maybe next month after some wax :)

Think I'm going to keep the plate and advertise it as 'JUMP K' maybe make something over the retention fee?

IMAG0111 by greensurveying2011, on Flickr

IMAG0112 by greensurveying2011, on Flickr

IMAG0113 by greensurveying2011, on Flickr

IMAG0114 by greensurveying2011, on Flickr

IMAG0115 by greensurveying2011, on Flickr

IMAG0116 by greensurveying2011, on Flickr

IMAG0117 by greensurveying2011, on Flickr

Great car, why have you left in in a field?? :p

The price is nice too which makes it even more of a deal.

Apart from a blown turbo on mine (which won't plague you) I've had literally nothing go wrong in the (just over) 3 years I've had it. Servicing, bar tyres, has cost £600 (55k)

I love these e60's. Until recently I never really thought much for them until one of my mates bought one. His was a similar spec'd SE and although they don't look as good as the M-sport it still impressed me a lot. Lovely car at a truely good price. Good luck with it.

Out of curiosity, how much does the BMW warranty cost?

I love these e60's. Until recently I never really thought much for them until one of my mates bought one. His was a similar spec'd SE and although they don't look as good as the M-sport it still impressed me a lot. Lovely car at a truely good price. Good luck with it.

Out of curiosity, how much does the BMW warranty cost?

IIRC it's £800 if below 60k miles and £2000 if above, per year. May be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom