My first SFF build

Associate
I, I just got served. :D

Awesome build! Not seen that one before, got a build thread?

Will have soon, however, not quite done yet. Pus it's a bit of an exclusive for an article, and also to prove it can be done... shhh. ;)

I really love this build, but never again it's been a bit of a mare to say the least.

Anyway, sorry to hijack thread.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
A couple of new toys arrived yesterday:

DSCF0001Small.jpg

Corsair H50 and 60gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD.

I stripped the machine down and installed the rad/fan:

DSCF0002Small.jpg

DSCF0003Small.jpg

Re-installed the motherboard, then installed the cooler:

DSCF0004Small.jpg

DSCF0005Small.jpg

With the rad/fan in place the standard 2.5" drive cage fouled the rad, so I removed it. Of course, this left me with nowhere to mount the SSD. In the end I used sticky pads and stuck it to the bottom of the case in front of the mobo:

DSCF0006Small.jpg

DSCF0009Small.jpg

Everything installed:

DSCF0012Small.jpg

As you can see, cable management needs to be addressed, but I've tried to keep it all over to one side of the case so none of the cables are disrupting airflow.

Hugely impressed so far, in fact I'd go as far to say the SSD is the single most impressive upgrade I've ever made, it's amazing. The H50 is working a treat too, idle temps are 30-34c across all 4 cores, load temps haven't gone above 65c :cool:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Not sure, the case will take up to a 9" card and the edge of the rad just about lines up with the edge of the pci-e slot, so it *should* still fit.

Associate
Not sure, the case will take up to a 9" card and the edge of the rad just about lines up with the edge of the pci-e slot, so it *should* still fit.

I made this, which allows the radiator and fan to be offset to the right (or left) so a full length GPU can be installed. Also acts as a shroud and improves airflow.

shroud.jpg

shroud2.jpg

I even made access holes for the radiator fixings, which I plugged with rubber bungs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Drexel,

Any chance of a picture of it sat next to something common so that I can get an idea of the actual physical size of that case? Trying to decide whether to go ITX or uATX as I need a more portable pc. This thread inspires me to make the move :)

Thanks

Soldato
Thanks for the pictures mate :) Looks very nice and looks perfect for easy transportation to and from my two different places :)

I'm convinced to buy :)

Associate
Swapping my system over to a Sugo S05 this weekend, so I can use my current case for my pfSense router, I just need to save up some cash and upgrade my server to i5 and put that in a Fractal then I can essentially, move all my PC equipment out in just a holdall. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Little update, despite earlier saying that I wont be needing a decent GPU, I have changed my mind and will soon be installing a GTX460 (or possibly one of the ATI 6xxx cards if I can wait), so I decided to upgrade the PSU to a 450w Silverstone ST45SF item. Whilst I had the machine apart I realised that the H50's rad would actually foul a GFX card longer than around 7". This was easily solved by swapping the fan to the other side of the rad so it operates in 'pull' configuration, I then screwed the rad directly to the chassis thus:

DSCF0001Medium.jpg

There is now just under 8.5" to the back of the rad, so an 8" card should fit without a problem, and running in pull configuration hasn't effected temps at all, in fact they are couple of degrees cooler if anything :)

Associate
There is now just under 8.5" to the back of the rad, so an 8" card should fit without a problem, and running in pull configuration hasn't effected temps at all, in fact they are couple of degrees cooler if anything :)

To play it safe a Gainward GS or GLH 1gb 460 gtx will fit there with no hassle or further modding,they are 8" cards(gtx 460 reference pcb is 8.25") with the pci-e connectors on the top of the card instead of at the rear like most gtx 460's.

If you buy a reference card with the pci-e connectors at the rear,you 'may not' be able to plug them in as they will still catch the rad.

A 5850 is too long at ~9.5" so I'd imagine the 6850 will be the same pcb as it's just a re-spin of the silicon for this card.(assuming you were looking at an ATI card at this level of features and performance)
The 5770 reference pcb is 8.2" and if this translates over to the 6770 it could be worth looking at,especially if the rumors are true that it's getting a 256bit memory bus over the 128bit it currently has in the 5770.(the pci-e connectors on this card will also catch the rad if it uses the 5770 pcb)

90 degree pci-e leads would be a godsend for sff builders,alas no one makes them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Does the H5O completely remove any chance of fitting a slot loading drive in as well?

It doesn't effect the slimline drive bay at all if you mount the rad sideways like I have done. I have a samsung slot-loading drive in mine, you can see it in the DVD comparison shots a few posts up :)

Back
Top Bottom