My Golf Project

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
What an interesting afternoon!

Was going to start on this today, decided to move the 1.3 one (ie the spare shell) into the shed so I could start taking bits off. It started first time after it had been standing for 3 months, drove it into the shed and left it running for a while.

I went to the other Golf (the proper one) to start it and let it warm up so I could move that into the shed also. Battery was flat so I went back to the shed to get a booster pack.

I noticed some flames underneath the Golf that was in the shed and some under the bonnet. Ran back to the other Golf to grab an extinguisher. Emptied all of it through the grill but it didn't put all the flames out.

Ran to get a hose pipe and shoved it under the bonnet, tried to empty a few buckets of water on the car but the fumes were getting awful, I couldnt see the car from the shed door :eek: Fire brigade were called and the following is the result:

DSCF0637-1.jpg

DSCF0638-1.jpg

DSCF0639-1.jpg

DSCF0641-1.jpg

Gutted :(

I think one of the fuel lines ruptured under the bonnet and the fuel hit the hot exhaust. Anyone with oldish cars check your fuel lines!

Total damage report:

One 1.3 Golf mk2
4x Team Dynamics Pro Race Alloys fitted with R888s and tyre pressure monitors
4x Jerry Cans (Thank god they were empty)
Lots of tools etc etc

Bright side:

No one was hurt
At least it wasn't *the* Golf :p

I'm not sure what to do now with this project, maybe it's time to call it a day and get something else.

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
The new shell wasn't insured, didnt see any reason to as it was going to be sat in the shed as a bare shell once I started it.

Current Golf shell isn't that bad, this new build was going to be a bit more track focused.

Trying to find another shell in that condition without a sunroof is going to be difficult.

Soldato
I read the subscription email before I loaded the forum post and when I clicked on the first photo link I let out an expletive in my office..... :o

I was expecting a few burnt sections of a shell not one completely gutted out! My word.......

Unlucky m8. Glad no one was injured.

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
Well it's been a year or so without an update, so:

After about 12 months of thinking I've decided that spending another £4k and countless hours on this isn't really the best course of action.

The Golf has been off the road for the last 12 months due to new job commitments and I haven't had any spare time to drive or do anything major to it!

I've just bought a B5 S4 and have some minor plans for that to make it a bit more interesting, but the Golf is going to stay as it for the foreseeable future.

Mods, what's the best way of making sure this thread is kept somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom