My Golf Project

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
how are the pagids for just normal fast road use, currently have ds2500s on my car at the moment cant fault them really but if there is a better alternative ill give them a shot.

The Pagids are really good from cold, they seem to require less pedal pressure than the Ferodos to stop. They do say "not approved for road use" on them so I'd stick to DS2500s for fast road use unless you're having problems with them.

Pagids are also about £50 more a set for the Golf, but worth it for me as if they last 2 track days or more then they work out cheaper than the DS2500s.

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
It's still going, so I thought I should update!

Track day next Friday at Anglesey, so a few bits to do before then.

The Pagid RS42 have worn and I dont think they will last another track day, a supplier suggested I try the next pad in the range the RS14. These are a ceramic based compound and should be even better than the RS42s.

RS42s after 3 track days, in much better condition than the DS2500s

DSCF0024.jpg

New RS14s ready to go on

DSCF0025.jpg

I've also decided to add some ducting to keep the brakes cooler and hopefully extend pad life!

Purchased a set of brackets via a group buy on Club GTI

DSCF0021.jpg

They fit on the caliper carrier like this

DSCF0022.jpg

Ducting in place

DSCF0026.jpg

and fed from a SWG vent that replaces the fog lights, it's designed for a bigger hose so I had to modify it to fit, not very tidy but it will do until I find a better solution.

DSCF0027.jpg

I've also ordered a set of new wheels that should be lighter than the original BBS RAs they should arrive Tuesday hopefully. Will update with more pics then.

There's a lot of surface rust that needs to be dealt with, amazing how fast it forms. I'm pricing up getting the shell sand blasted and repainted before it gets any worse. If that happens I'll seam weld it and add a cage at the same time.

Soldato
whats that made of? Steal or Aluminum (would that be too soft?).

Might try knocking something up like that myself.

There is no force on the bracket so Alu should be fine. Though if I was to do it I would check that the nut is going fully onto the bolt with the bracket on, if not get some longer bolts.

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
The duct bracket is made of steel.

A few bits arrived today

After the last track day and some unusual wear on the front tyres I purchased this

DSCF0045-2.jpg

It should give me real time monitoring of tyre pressures on track, I don’t think I was getting a true representation of pressures after a cool down lap and in the pits.

The valves and sensors were bolted to the new team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s

Valve

DSCF0030-1.jpg

Sensor attached to valve

DSCF0033-2.jpg

Display mounted by the gear lever out of the way, but can easily be checked

DSCF0047-1.jpg

I will hard wire it in the future and try and hide it somewhere!

Can you guess what rear pads these were? Very similar wear to the front set that came off

DSCF0035-2.jpg

Some new Pagid RS42 fitted

DSCF0036-2.jpg

Picture of car with new wheels fitted

DSCF0037-2.jpg

Just an oil change and a good wash before the track day tomorrow :D

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
oooh that tyresure thing looks cool. Be good to see the temp/pressures rising and allow you to tweak pressures for certain tracks after a few laps?

It will hopefully give me a better idea of what's going on after a few laps and I can then adjust the pressures to suit.

How much was the tyre pressure monitor?

It was £165 from http://www.rockshore.uk.com/tyresure-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms-1689-p.asp

I couldnt find any decent reviews of it so I took a gamble. I'll post tomorrow night to let you know how I got on with it, the readings seem to compare with another gauge I've got and the tyre fitter's one, so it's seems quite accurate. How it behaves on track is another matter!

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
Tyre Pressure thing looks cool, how heavy are the sensors?

I've no idea! Not much at all, but the wheel has about 70g of balancing weights opposite to it!

The Tyresure system works really well, suprising how quickly the pressure drops when you do a cool down lap. I could also back off and come in to drop the pressures if they got high. Maximum air temp within the tyres was 76 degrees :o It was quite easy to see when the Toyo's were about to go off and do a few gentle laps before pressing on again. Didn't stop the unusual wear though so I'm looking at running part worn slicks at the next track day.

I had so much fun today, highlight was keeping up with a fully stripped out, caged, slick running 260bhp E30 M3 for about 10 laps, he came over afterwards and asked what the hell I had under the bonnet! :D

Soldato
That sounds cheap for what it is/does.

Perhaps try one of those handheld temperature gauges to take the readings accross the tread of the tyre too, but if they cool down as quick as your making out it might be difficult to get some accurate readings.

Where were you, Anglesey again?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom