My Golf Project

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
Always wondered how does the reading get from inside the tyre to the computer thing. Also how is it powered (the bit inside rim)?

It's battery powered and claims to have a 7 year life!

That sounds cheap for what it is/does.

Perhaps try one of those handheld temperature gauges to take the readings accross the tread of the tyre too, but if they cool down as quick as your making out it might be difficult to get some accurate readings.

Where were you, Anglesey again?

Going to try some slicks I think, R888s are only good for 2 track days on the front :o:D

Yes, Anglesey again, will probably be doing another in the next month or so.

Are you keeping your BBS RAs? ;)

Yes I'm keeping them ;)

Few pictures from the track:

766269885_FB.jpg

1982528161_FB.jpg

604855832_FB.jpg

924600149_FB.jpg

A friend driving

69269421_FB.jpg

Soldato
Didnt see the point in starting another thread. I've just come across this Golf that a guy owns on the golfmk2 forums - how mint is this :eek:

33k on the clock.

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
What have I done!

Didnt see the point in starting another thread. I've just come across this Golf that a guy owns on the golfmk2 forums - how mint is this :eek:

33k on the clock.

That is really clean! Shame the Mk2 I bought today isn't that tidy :D

May I introduce to everyone the next phase of this project...

Saw this on ebay this morning, went to see it this afternoon. I am now the proud owner of another Mk2 Golf. It's a 1984, 1.3, 136k miles, 2 owners from new (one for the last 6 weeks, the other since new) and it hasn't got a sunroof! Some bits need some TLC but it's solid where I need it to be.

DSCF0600-1.jpg

Underneath is rust free

DSCF0596-1.jpg

DSCF0595-1.jpg

Tailgate and wiper hole rust free

DSCF0599-1.jpg

DSCF0593-1.jpg

I'm picking it up tomorrow :)

Plan is to strip this one down, seam weld it, get a welded in cage and then transfer everything over from the other Golf, with a few more track focused modifications.

Being realistic the Golf is slowly turning into a track car anyway, but this new shell means I can still do trackdays over the summer.

Soldato
Did you buy it from someone in Buckley?

Edit I see you did! I thought those houses looked familiar :p

Just a word to the wise.. If it's one of the guys from the 1st Council House opposite the Playground by the Church it was parked in, or his mate that lives just down the road from the Church on the same side, then make sure you get all the Documents and check the VIN/Engine No.'s etc, make sure it's a proper kosher job before you drive away with it ;)

Last edited:

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
What engine is going back in the GTi? :)

Thats quite an early Mk2, how much did you pay?

Not sure yet, I have an 8V here but may go for something totally different.

It was £525, probably a bit over what it's worth, but It's close and I wont have much time to go searching for one in the next few months.

Edit I see you did! I thought those houses looked familiar

Just a word to the wise.. If it's one of the guys from the 1st Council House opposite the Playground by the Church it was parked in, or his mate that lives just down the road from the Church on the same side, then make sure you get all the Documents and check the VIN/Engine No.'s etc, make sure it's a proper kosher job before you drive away with it

Yes I did, do you know the car?

EDIT

Thanks for the heads up, everything matched up fine. I was a bit paranoid when I arrived for some reason ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't want to hijack the thread but where would you suggest getting some MK3 golf (4 bolt) steal wheels from with good tyres?

I may need some new tyres on my golf soon and I guess buying a set of rubbish wheels on with god tyres will be the cheapest way to do it?

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
I don't want to hijack the thread but where would you suggest getting some MK3 golf (4 bolt) steal wheels from with good tyres?

I may need some new tyres on my golf soon and I guess buying a set of rubbish wheels on with god tyres will be the cheapest way to do it?

Ebay, scrap yard or local free ads. Or try a wanted on Club GTI, lots of people upgrading to alloys. Lots of VAG cars use the 4 stud setup (Golf mk1+2, Passat, Ibiza etc)

I don't know the car no, two guys use that Car-Park to sell, if you go past their houses you'll see the next batch getting sorted for sale....Or bits of them ;) I'm sure you know what you're doing though :)

The setup screamed 'home trader' which made me paranoid from the start, I double checked everything and all the documents were in order, call it a calculated risk, all I really need is the shell!

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
No updates sorry, nothing done to either in a while, busy enjoying the summer at the moment.

I'm not getting the whole "new shell" thing. What's up with the old one? It is a newer car after all :confused:

Underneath the old one is starting to get a little tatty. Having a sound bare shell will give me a better starting point. The "new" older shell is in much better condition than the "old" newer one!

also...having no sunroof helps with bodyflex to IIRC?

It also keeps the weight down

Means you can work on one shell whilst driving the other??

That the most important point, I can prepare the second shell without any pressure to get it done and still enjoy driving it.

Associate
I'm not sure! I'm looking into different options at the moment. An ATP eliminator kit looks tempting as I wouldnt have to change the downpipe etc. I do have a spare engine here that I think I'm going to build up so the internals can cope with the power without a worry and I can just swap them over when it's ready. I also need some bigger injectors and a suitably uprated fuel supply system.

The eliminator turbos come in 290bhp, 350bhp and 400 bhp versions but, it's so nice to drive now as the K03s spools up so early, I dont really want to spoil that by putting a HUGE turbo on it. Is an extra 30bhp worth £1000+? I might aswell go for the extra 90bhp for the same price!

L1J, mine is running the ATP manifold and a GT28 turbo and your quite right, its more or less off boost upto 3.5k then absolutely mental after that. i kinda like it myself as its easy to plod around then go crazy when you want too. one thing to note is the turbos a re so big you really need the engine out/ head off to fit the damn things.

Back
Top Bottom