My Golf R Estate has arrived

Permabanned
I totally get your point/opinion that SUV/Estate owners are very different people (i.e. stereotyping)..

The first part of my post was really in reply to Fox's post saying that SUV's are 'smaller' than estates, which I didn't think was technically correct, and it would seem certainly in terms of 'litreage not accurate...

I then read your post and only quoted the estate line to reinforce that I acknowledge estate owners do indeed want 'boot space' since I was only making the point that technically there is no real difference, perhaps that was incorrect of me.

But your last part is just plainly irrational. You think people who buy SUV's don't want the space? Do you really cling to some ancient stereotype of the chelsea tractor or something?

I test drove a number of estates, and 'SUVs' (well I class them as Cross overs), primarily as I wanted extra 'boot space' for taking family stuff around, trips to the DIY store, something lots of friends have estates for. However, like lots of people I know, I ended up with an SUV because on top of the extra boot space, it also was easier to get in/out of and generally was more relaxing to drive. Over the last two years, a number of friends and colleagues have replaced their Estates with SUVs, all citing that they have similar room as one of the qualities.

SO I think the old days of people thinking SUV meant fake lifestyle statement are well and truly over.. I believe Cross Overs and SUVs are making a strong resurgence simply as they now do offer what they seem to promise on the outside, as much space as an estate, ease of ingress/egress etc.. Previously it felt like MPVs had such a stigma that people ended up in Estates because they didn't want to be seen in a box on wheels, no matter how practical.. But now they have an alternative, something with space that doesn't look like a box, and they are selling in spades.

Perhaps I'm still missing your point, this is a forum after all, you just seem to have this strong hate of SUVs which I don't get, maybe you might want to explain why you hate SUVs, you never actually said why.

Not so much of a WAGs thing, just the stipulation that people buy SUVs more on the people-orientated supposed benefits, like higher viewpoint for road, generally improved base level of comfort and other similar things like the idea that they are somehow safer because they are bigger (something which is proven incorrect, while still a mass-delusion). Added storage over a normal vehicle is more likely to be used for a dog or two, rather than things.

People tend to buy estates for the storage space, rather than the passengers.

I don't like SUVs because I think they're a tremendous waste of money in purchase price, fuel usage and pointlessness. I'd rather have an estate ;)

Permabanned
Currently in dispute over our next family car with the wife, she wants an SUV, I cant think of anything more tedious to drive. Not really interested in comfort, ability to easily go in a straight line, high driving position(get it lower!) or endless toys. Golf R seems more than enough room for us and 2 younger kids.

Permabanned
Why does she want an SUV? What's her reasoning I mean?

Standard women reasons, its big, can lord it over people, high driving position, space, likes the looks.

Annoyingly it will be her car allowance buying it but she travels on the train 99% of the time and I do 99% of the home/family driving.

Had a Civic and an Octavia for years and only needed more space on about 4 occasions so imo space isn't a high criteria.

Personally I want a hot hatch. :p

Soldato
OP
Annoyingly it will be her car allowance buying it but she travels on the train 99% of the time and I do 99% of the home/family driving.
Is her allowance coming from her work company? If so the 26% Benefit In Kind tax on the Golf R Hatch could be a blocker on the cost side. (20% taxpayer = £142 per month tax)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The only annoying thing I have found so far on the car is the controls to change the radio station. You cannot cycle through your selected tuned station list using the on wheel buttons - it cycles through all of the available stations (100+) :(
Also, the touch screen interface is harder to use over the iDrive system. You tend to find the road surface/bumps makes it hard to accurately select areas on the screen, whilst concentrating on driving.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Is her allowance coming from her work company? If so the 26% Benefit In Kind tax on the Golf R Hatch could be a blocker on the cost side. (20% taxpayer = £142 per month tax)

Sort of derailing the thread a bit but......

To be honest we have not exactly explored the tax issue/I dont know how it works. :p

Assuming a car allowance of £300 a month isn't it just taxed like extra salary?

We can comfortably afford to lease something with or without the allowance.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The only annoying thing I have found so far on the car is the controls to change the radio station. You cannot cycle through your selected tuned station list using the on wheel buttons - it cycles through all of the available stations (100+) :(

Unless it's changed from the system in my year old GTD there's a setting that changes that so that the left/right button on the wheel cycles through the presets instead.

Back
Top Bottom