My hair transplant journey

Caporegime
Short update. It's now been round 7 weeks since I had it done and my hair is growing a fair bit despite only a relatively short time having passed. I went for a check-up a couple of weeks ago and the consultant said he rarely ever sees similar results this soon, which I was really happy to hear.

Over the last couple of weeks the transplants have started to thicken as more and more of the follicles start to grow and activate (initially only a third or so of them started to grow). The crown area transplants started growing and thickening faster than the front transplants and the difference is now very noticeable vs before the op. The front area where my hairline was brought down a little (I didn't have too much of a receding hairline so it didn't need much) has been slower in growth but is also now starting to activate and thicken. I do get some shedding with some follicles, seems to be generally the smaller hairs.

However what is really important to me is that it all looks very natural, especially now the post-op redness has mostly gone and the donor area has grown back to normal thickness, as these were the only immediate visual clues to anyone looking at me that any surgery had taken place. My surgeon appears to have been very skilled in the way he planned the implanted areas, he knew just how far to push it without going overboard, so I have to doff my cap to him for that.

Only a couple of people in real-life know that I have had this done and everyone else just thinks I gave myself a dodgy "corona cut" and that it's now growing back. The other day I had my first haircut to even everything out after how unevenly they shaved it during the op and in general not one person who has seen me has looked at me funny or made any comments other than to say: "Yeah I didn't like it so short and you look much better now it's growing back.".

What I also think helps with the recovery and regrowth is that nowadays I live a very healthy lifestyle with relatively low levels of stress; I don't drink or smoke, I eat a very good balanced diet, am sporty and active and my sleep hygiene is good. That has to count for something.

So, after an encouraging start I am really looking forward to how the next months develop, especially around Summer, by which time when it will have started to grow to a normal length and thickness. I was told that it takes 12+ months until it reaches "peak results", so I still have some way to go. So far though, I am definitely very happy that I made the decision to do this surgery when I did, as there will likely never be a better time to do this kind of thing than during a pandemic where we are working from home and don't have to go to work or see anyone during those first months of recovery.

@chipperhead how's things on your side, all good? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Don’t suppose you happen to have any before and after pics. Genuinely interested, not something I would do even though I no longer have the glorious mane I had in my youth, but I’d really be interested in seeing the difference/improvement.

Caporegime
Don’t suppose you happen to have any before and after pics. Genuinely interested, not something I would do even though I no longer have the glorious mane I had in my youth, but I’d really be interested in seeing the difference/improvement.

Sorry, not at this early stage. I will consider it in 6-12 months when the real results are in.

Associate
Needleless pre-anaesthetic. So I'm guessing they gave you some midazolam as a pill to take the edge off before the procedure, I assume you do not actually remember the procedure?

Soldato
Short update. It's now been round 7 weeks since I had it done and my hair is growing a fair bit despite only a relatively short time having passed. I went for a check-up a couple of weeks ago and the consultant said he rarely ever sees similar results this soon, which I was really happy to hear.

Over the last couple of weeks the transplants have started to thicken as more and more of the follicles start to grow and activate (initially only a third or so of them started to grow). The crown area transplants started growing and thickening faster than the front transplants and the difference is now very noticeable vs before the op. The front area where my hairline was brought down a little (I didn't have too much of a receding hairline so it didn't need much) has been slower in growth but is also now starting to activate and thicken. I do get some shedding with some follicles, seems to be generally the smaller hairs.

However what is really important to me is that it all looks very natural, especially now the post-op redness has mostly gone and the donor area has grown back to normal thickness, as these were the only immediate visual clues to anyone looking at me that any surgery had taken place. My surgeon appears to have been very skilled in the way he planned the implanted areas, he knew just how far to push it without going overboard, so I have to doff my cap to him for that.

Only a couple of people in real-life know that I have had this done and everyone else just thinks I gave myself a dodgy "corona cut" and that it's now growing back. The other day I had my first haircut to even everything out after how unevenly they shaved it during the op and in general not one person who has seen me has looked at me funny or made any comments other than to say: "Yeah I didn't like it so short and you look much better now it's growing back.".

What I also think helps with the recovery and regrowth is that nowadays I live a very healthy lifestyle with relatively low levels of stress; I don't drink or smoke, I eat a very good balanced diet, am sporty and active and my sleep hygiene is good. That has to count for something.

So, after an encouraging start I am really looking forward to how the next months develop, especially around Summer, by which time when it will have started to grow to a normal length and thickness. I was told that it takes 12+ months until it reaches "peak results", so I still have some way to go. So far though, I am definitely very happy that I made the decision to do this surgery when I did, as there will likely never be a better time to do this kind of thing than during a pandemic where we are working from home and don't have to go to work or see anyone during those first months of recovery.

So happy for you man! Gives me even more confidence to try it myself

Soldato
OP
Needleless pre-anaesthetic. So I'm guessing they gave you some midazolam as a pill to take the edge off before the procedure, I assume you do not actually remember the procedure?
They gave me a Xanax tablet each morning, just chills you out a bit that's all. I had about 20 needleless pre-anaesthetic injections followed by maybe 30 normal injections of anaesthetic and saline.
You're completely awake and aware the whole time.

Yep really pleased with my progress, I've just come up to 4 months now.
Big difference with the before and after.

TLetRlb.jpg

2wT1UAQ.jpg

Caporegime
So happy for you man! Gives me even more confidence to try it myself

Thanks dude, appreciated. Long way to go yet but the initial results are certainly promising. :)

Wow, visually that's a big difference and it will only improve over the next months too. Congrats mate, I'm happy for you. :)

Soldato
They gave me a Xanax tablet each morning, just chills you out a bit that's all. I had about 20 needleless pre-anaesthetic injections followed by maybe 30 normal injections of anaesthetic and saline.
You're completely awake and aware the whole time.

I'd be over the moon with results like that :cool:

Soldato
TBH that looks spot on and for £2k its some result for you and your self confidence. A friend of mine had the same done around 10 years ago, still holding strong and loving it.

Caporegime
@chipperhead @Richdog

How are things going? I'm now seriously considering getting a transplant done myself, so would be keen to hear more of your progress.

Chipperhead your results look amazing.
Going really well, it's grown back to the point where it's fuller than it was before and the redness has gone and now no-one can see or tell that I had anything done. The areas they added at the front look very natural and after my latest haircut I'm really happy with how it looks as it has basically knocked some years from my 'hair age', which fits as I look younger than my age anyway.

It's only been 3 months, so I am only through the initial phase, but I went for a check up and the consultant ws really impressed and said that after 12 months the growth looks like it will be thick. I think what has also helped with a speedy recovery and growth is that my lifestyle is so healthy... no booze or cigs, a good diet (I also take the Holland & Barrett ABC vitamin supplements daily) and regular exercise. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

As for you getting it done... I advise going to do it at a reputable place (lots of positive client feedback and that has been in the business a long time) and ideally that is UK-based (assuming you're there) and easy for you to travel to for check ups.

Caporegime
Going really well, it's grown back to the point where it's fuller than it was before and the redness has gone and now no-one can see or tell that I had anything done. The areas they added at the front look very natural and after my latest haircut I'm really happy with how it looks as it has basically knocked some years from my 'hair age', which fits as I look younger than my age anyway.

It's only been 3 months, so I am only through the initial phase, but I went for a check up and the consultant ws really impressed and said that after 12 months the growth looks like it will be thick. I think what has also helped with a speedy recovery and growth is that my lifestyle is so healthy... no booze or cigs, a good diet (I also take the Holland & Barrett ABC vitamin supplements daily) and regular exercise. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

As for you getting it done... I advise going to do it at a reputable place (lots of positive client feedback and that has been in the business a long time) and ideally that is UK-based (assuming you're there) and easy for you to travel to for check ups.
Good to hear. Are you intending to maintain with finasteride, minoxidil, etc?

Back
Top Bottom