My hair transplant journey

Caporegime
Not a chance, I would never take any regular medical prescriptions unless it was for unavoidable health reasons. I mean FFS, the potential side effects are scary as hell.
Interesting.

What did the surgeon say on that front? Won't you run the risk of being left with a Norwood 1 in the implant areas and reaper-struck in the others?

From what I've heard, finasteride sides are few and far between, and we only have so many follicles for future implantation.

Caporegime
Interesting.

What did the surgeon say on that front? Won't you run the risk of being left with a Norwood 1 in the implant areas and reaper-struck in the others?

From what I've heard, finasteride sides are few and far between, and we only have so many follicles for future implantation.
It's not a topic for me, but you go ahead and do whatever you feel comfortable with. :)

Soldato
OP
@chipperhead @Richdog

How are things going? I'm now seriously considering getting a transplant done myself, so would be keen to hear more of your progress.

Chipperhead your results look amazing.

Thanks Participant, I'm really pleased with how thinks are going.
Density has improved, to be honest I don't even think about it anymore.
I need to get to the barbers when they open back up as it needs a tidy up.

I took this December 2019
y12fy7x.jpg

And a couple today.

RyuICBf.jpg

BFgVNgI.jpg

Associate
Not a chance, I would never take any regular medical prescriptions unless it was for unavoidable health reasons. I mean FFS, the potential side effects are scary as hell.

Your hair looks great OP!

Just curious did your HT surgeon say anything about not taking meds? I'd love a HT, i have a widows peak naturally but although i havent got any bald spots and my hair grows quite thick the temples have receeded slightly which makes my widows peak hairline look a fair bit worse. I refuse to take meds though as i've seen and heard about the side effects. I've just turned 41.

I'd love to have the HT but if it's all going to fall out without taking meds i don't think i will bother. The donor areas are thick and no bald spots like i say. Just the temples.

Associate
Few people look good being bald and I am losing my hair as well, but will let things be; congrats as it looks great.

Just me, but every time i see something about this, I keep thinking back to this clip:

Caporegime
Here's my glorious mane as of today:

9oreHlRh.jpg

Vacating at a rate of knots as you may be able to tell!

I don't expect to recover much through pharma at this stage, but some improvement might convince me to avoid surgery.

Caporegime
Your hair looks great OP!

Just curious did your HT surgeon say anything about not taking meds? I'd love a HT, i have a widows peak naturally but although i havent got any bald spots and my hair grows quite thick the temples have receeded slightly which makes my widows peak hairline look a fair bit worse. I refuse to take meds though as i've seen and heard about the side effects. I've just turned 41.

I'd love to have the HT but if it's all going to fall out without taking meds i don't think i will bother. The donor areas are thick and no bald spots like i say. Just the temples.
The hair that is transplanted stays and grows long-term. And no, neither my consultant or my surgeon have suggested meds to me for my particular case and that tells me everything I need to know about whether they are needed or not, as otherwise they would have. They are already very impressed/surprised with my hair growth and that is without any medication whatsoever, I only take ABC multivitamin supplements, so I would say that my healthy lifestyle is probably among the best medicine I can get without turning to very much unwanted prescriptions. :)

If in another 15 or so years anything changes dramatically then I will revisit my options, but I have very specific hair pattern baldness so I am not too concerned about any unevenness for a long time. I just have to look at my father to get a good idea of how I am going to look at after I get to 60 and beyond. :D

Here's my glorious mane as of today:

Vacating at a rate of knots as you may be able to tell!

I don't expect to recover much through pharma at this stage, but some improvement might convince me to avoid surgery.

I am no consultant but I would say judging from what I have seen during my research and from cases that I was shown at the consultants, that yours is a case for the maximum level of FUE surgery if you want your hair back in anything approaching its former glory. Drugs would likely be pointless other than to slow further loss... but it already looks too far gone for that to be of much benefit.

In the end it's down to you, but I would go for a consultation and assess your options. There will never be a better time to do it than while COVID is around and I am so happy I had it done when I did as now Summer is going to be awesome without having to worry about any visible signs of surgery and/or recovery. I am already largely back to looking like I was before except with denser hair in the implanted areas and a slightly lower hairline. Win. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
As someone who has been balding and sporting a shaved head for around 8 years I’m curious.

What is it that compels you to want to spend significant amounts of money and discomfort on having hair?

Associate
The hair that is transplanted stays and grows long-term. And no, neither my consultant or my surgeon have suggested meds to me for my particular case and that tells me everything I need to know about whether they are needed or not, as otherwise they would have. They are already very impressed/surprised with my hair growth and that is without any medication whatsoever, I only take ABC multivitamin supplements, so I would say that my healthy lifestyle is probably among the best medicine I can get without turning to very much unwanted prescriptions. :)

If in another 15 or so years anything changes dramatically then I will revisit my options, but I have very specific hair pattern baldness so I am not too concerned about any unevenness for a long time. I just have to look at my father to get a good idea of how I am going to look at after I get to 60 and beyond. :D

Appreciate the reply! I think i will go for it. Again your hair looks great. I will look back to the start to see who you used and do some research. I've had a shaved head once before as a kid before any hair loss and i know it doesnt suit me. Saying that it was 25 years ago so perhaps it might suit me more now haha.

Caporegime
As someone who has been balding and sporting a shaved head for around 8 years I’m curious.

What is it that compels you to want to spend significant amounts of money and discomfort on having hair?

I was personally very concerned about this a year or two back.
Really worried about appearance in general.

But as other things like health have been creeping into my mind I literally don't care anymore.

Maybe it's the point in life it happens.
Young, single, self conscious - really important

Married, older, self confidence - not important.

Priorities change. And you definitely have more luck with ladies with full head, no head.. And at worst... Trying to hold on to nothing.

Caporegime
Appreciate the reply! I think i will go for it. Again your hair looks great. I will look back to the start to see who you used and do some research. I've had a shaved head once before as a kid before any hair loss and i know it doesnt suit me. Saying that it was 25 years ago so perhaps it might suit me more now haha.
Thanks dude and I wish you luck but I am not the OP and I haven't posted a photo. :D

Already covered in detail and doesn't need to be again be repeated and justified to anyone, please read the thread from the start. :)

Caporegime
Finasteride - for men that prefer hair to a libido :p
Yeah, surgery and a few weeks of discomfort is one thing, but for me going on any prescription medication is an absolute no-no unless it is otherwise unavoidable/essential.

I popped a question to my consultant this morning about this and he just replied and said Finasteride is primarily to prevent further loss and not so important for growing hair in men who otherwise are identified as having good hair growth potential. In my case, especially considering the decentresults I am already having, he doesn't recommend it which is why it wasn't raised as a particular topic.

I am happy with that reply! :)

Associate
Sounds like i should be ok without meds then, 95% of my hair is thick and healthy especially for 41 years old. If i had a normal straight-ish natural hairline i wouldnt even need to consider the HT, but because of my widows peak any recession in temples makes hairline severe!

Soldato
I was personally very concerned about this a year or two back.
Really worried about appearance in general.

But as other things like health have been creeping into my mind I literally don't care anymore.

Maybe it's the point in life it happens.
Young, single, self conscious - really important

Married, older, self confidence - not important.

Priorities change. And you definitely have more luck with ladies with full head, no head.. And at worst... Trying to hold on to nothing.

Ive never had any trouble with ladies. I’m quite lucky in that I have a good head shape and build for being bald though. I do see some unfortunate people who having no hair really doesn’t suit.

I also think having a good beard is compensation, another thing I’m blessed with. A fully shaved head and beard often looks terrible.

Caporegime
Ive never had any trouble with ladies.

Which ladies is the question.

Having hair vs. not, all other things being equal, typically allows access to at least 2 higher tiers from the fog beasts you're probably referring to.

Anyway I've decided to go to Turkey as soon as it's possible to do so and get an FUE hair transplant.

Smashing the finasteride and minoxidil in the meantime with no side effects so far 2 weeks in. Everything's still rising to the occasion on demand with no decrease in libido. Yet...

Soldato
Which ladies is the question.

Having hair vs. not, all other things being equal, typically allows access to at least 2 higher tiers from the fog beasts you're probably referring to.

Haha. Having seen what you look like i'm happy to report all other things are not equal ;)

Good luck with everything.

Soldato
Interesting thread, I never stood a chance with my hair genetically speaking (both sides of the family) and been badly receding since late teens and crown area got hit hard in early 20s.

Recently went few MM all round with the clippers and honestly, response hasn't been great, I don't have those looks to pull off the bald look, even with a beard.

Can't say I've really considered surgery before but suppose I might be a decent candidate as I have rather thick hair on the sides and the back areas that are "immune" to this baldness stuff.

Be curious to see @Participant results, as seem to have similar hairline with my crown being worse though.

Back
Top Bottom