My Log Burner...

Soldato
£250 + 5%Vat here in Shropshire for 3.6 m3 - That's barn stored hardwood - £275 for kiln dried.

I paid £140 for Transit tipper load level with top of sides hard and soft wood. - There is a company that makes those big round fence poles local and they do a 0.75 builders bag for £45.

I have noticed though that the price has now gone through the roof - When I had my first log burners everyone gave it away - I had a good thing going with the local council loggers - Those days are long gone. :rolleyes:

Associate
Woodfuel timber prices are rising significantly. £70 a ton delivered for softwood(artic load) so needs processing and seasoning first, i wouldnt expect prices to come down over the next few years either.

125 ton of beach and oak.
2rhbx49.jpg

Soldato
^^ VERY nice ! ^^

As per the "Man Jobs" thread:

Finally got round to sorting out the recent delivery / log staores yesterday ....

VWWqvRk.png

Moved all the off cuts / braches and trunks of recently felled trees in the garden to clear the large store

VmLUMhv.png

Stacked her up with the delivery

pEVsjyI.png

Double stack and shes brimming

E0sDmh5.png

FywimbB.png

New chopping block ready for action (not decided on what to do with the old one on top yet)

7cxWc2O.png

hmmmm, logs

4z39MeE.jpg

The stuff I took out the large store was transferred to the medium store (all seasoning for next year)

pX4Picj.png

Gave that a tidy too

dV22C0g.png

sxLoU78.jpg

Then that just leaves the small store on the balcony by the front door

iE5SgpK.png

Ill do that over the next few days with the "left overs"

zGGrssk.png

And still have two lage bags of smaller braches to use as kindling

76QCpnP.png

Soldato
Awful picture i know, but in our new house we don't have anywhere which makes sense to put a log burner other than this corner.

If i got a corner style one, does anyone know if i'd be able to stick it here or if there's not enough room? (obviously we'd need to change a few things like the windowsill for fireboard type stuff)

RESXqhI.jpg

As for dimensions

It's probably around 60cm between the wall and the doorframe and 40cm from wall to window opening.

I think i know the answer already is no, not possible but i want another log burner :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The heat will destroy that window (if its UPVC especially, it'll melt, and the glass wont be heat rated) and certainly damage the doorframe too, i'd certainly say that corner is far too tight :(

Soldato
Yeah i think in my head i knew all that. Just wanted someone to come along and tell me everything would be ok :(

Short of redoing how we're arranged the furniture in the room i think i need to accept no log burner. At least until i build my summer house. Maybe stick one in there.

Soldato
How far away does glass need to be for a log burner? I'm considering one but got a glass topped table circa 0.8m away from the front of the log burner.

I guess there's no particular rules? I could pull it slightly further away if need be.

Soldato
Holy thread revival :D

We're redecorating our lounge and thinking about swapping our Artel pellet stove to a wood/multifuel stove. I've been looking around at stoves for a few days and I was recommended a Dunsley Avance 500 by the installer I think we're going to use. Everywhere online sells this as a 5kW stove but then says it can output up to 7.2kW. With the room being 6x7m and wanting to heat more than just the room we want to make sure we get a stove up to the task.

Will buying a stove that's rated to 5kW but says it can go up to 7.5kW be ok running at full pelt all the time it's on? Does the efficient drop a fair bit at the higher end so are we better off getting a higher output stove (8-10kW) that we're not running to the max all the time?

I'm new to all the wood burning side as our pellet stove is as simple as buying 1000kg of bagged pellets every 12 months, pouring them in and pressing a button then letting it do it's thing.

Any good places to read around about hard/soft wood, tips for noobs etc? We're not using a chimney but installing a twin flue system.

Thanks!

Soldato
My parents have a Dunsley stove, it’s solid, similar to my morso.

With regards to wood, I burn anything as long as it’s dry, minimum 12 months air dry.

look at arb forum and stove manual site :)

Soldato
How much do 5KW stoves on their own cost to install these days? I've got a boarded up hole in my fireplace ready to take one and the chimney is still open.

Associate
We got ours for £1000 for a 5kw burner and flue liner, fitted. That was an offer though and required a pre-prepared fireplace, which we did have.

That's in the midlands BTW.

Soldato
My understanding is that they're most efficient run at their max, so you should size accordingly. Getting a big stove and trying to have a small fire in it leads to more issues.

We have a 4.7KW in our open plan area which is 5mx8m i think but there's a large opening to our hallway. After it's been on a couple of hours the whole downstairs is nice and warm, we certainly don't need a bigger stove in our house. ours is a new build though with very good insulation.

Soldato
has anyone DIY prepared their fireplace before getting all the fitting done by the pro's?

ive been quoted £1000 for flue lined and connecting to stove i purchase.

or £3000 - £3500 for everything inlcuding the building works.

looking at stove prices i think £500 should get one so 1.5-2k seems expensive for the builders works.

when i moved into the property i opened up my fireplace as it was all bricked up and i fitted a reclaimed victorian cast iron insert which i can remove without too much issue.

the existing hearth was a little worse for wear so i reconcreted this and then fitted 12mm floor tiles on top to form a new "pretty" hearth. would that be sufficient?

the bit im confused about is the brickwork, it was quite black from the years of being bricked up and the old victorian fire burning. would cleaning this up and leaving them exposed by the best bet? or would some sort of fire resistant plasterboard/hardie board be a better alternative?

im not a builder but after knocking down walls, building walls, fitting kitchens, bathrooms and plastering walls im confident i can undertake the work but with the rules involved i wanna make sure its right.

any help appreciated

Soldato
Having our first burner fitted in a few weeks, any tips for a noob starting off for wood/kindling/fire lighters?

Are firelighters necessary or do they just make life easier? I’ve started watching a few YouTube videos but always happy to take advice on here rather than a video trying to sell something :D

I’m sure I’ll **** it up the first time and think it’s been installed wrong when really it’s something I’ll be doing wrong!

dal

dal

Associate
Hi, I'd say definately use firelighters (if there is a local yorkshire trading in your area you can buy a pack of firelighters for about 70p and also a 5kg bag of kindling for £3).
1. - kindling fire > I use 2 firelighters one towards the front, one at the back to make sure, then build your kindling fire in a criss cross fashion - like you are having a game of jenga I use about 4 layers of kindling but you might want to use a couple more depending on how chunky it is. If your stove is multifuel I'd also put some smokeless coal around the outside of the kindling & some on the top of the kindling.
You could also put some SMALL logs / sticks on top of kindling fire & I put some screwed up newpaper around the outside of the kindling as well for added measure.

2.Make sure all air vents are open

3. Light fire ( some people say leave the door open for about 30 seconds or so but I shut it straight away ) then wait for the kindling fire to burn down to embers (about 15 - 20 minutes) > dont open the door
before this time or you will let smoke into the room

4. Add a couple of SMALL logs to the fire & wait for them to burn down to embers.
Then gradually increase the size of the logs you are putting on.

When yours fire is nice & hot start to close the air vents so it lasts longer

Hope this helps..

Caporegime
Having our first burner fitted in a few weeks, any tips for a noob starting off for wood/kindling/fire lighters?

Are firelighters necessary or do they just make life easier? I’ve started watching a few YouTube videos but always happy to take advice on here rather than a video trying to sell something :D

I’m sure I’ll **** it up the first time and think it’s been installed wrong when really it’s something I’ll be doing wrong!

you can buy firelighters made out of wood/paper rather than chemicals.

they are much better for you and the environment.

Soldato
I like to use these as starters. I don't think they are quite as potent as your regular kerosene soaked styrofoam or whatever they are, but you don't have the nasty smell and it's all natural (wood chippings and wax). Good for lighting the BBQ too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flamers-Fi...sr_1_3?keywords=flamers&qid=1579268906&sr=8-3

As for getting the thing going, it's a function of how well vented your stove is, how dry and big your logs and kindling are and how good you are at stacking it together. On my fireplace it can be a bit of a pain but I go to my in-laws and it's the easiest thing in the world - they have a modern stove and I think only use very well seasoned logs.

Just make sure you give the kindling some room to 'flame on' and burn for a bit before applying any bigger logs and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom