My new Dell 2405FPW - pictures & first impressions

Soldato
spoonz said:
Is that 1 to 1 pixel mapped? Is their an option on this montitor for this?

that'll be playing via VLC or something at 100% fullscreen with no scaling whatsoever i imagine

but yes the monitor does have an option in the OSD for 1:1 pixel mapping

Associate
Smiley Man said:
that'll be playing via VLC or something at 100% fullscreen with no scaling whatsoever i imagine

but yes the monitor does have an option in the OSD for 1:1 pixel mapping

VLC???!!!

Associate
im looking at 30" as I want to use it for DVD/HD/DivX playback but dont think my 7800GT will drive it at suitable desktop/gaming resolutuions.

Soldato
Before :-

1desk.jpg

After :-

(with Ergotron Neo Flex Lcd Arms Xt Silver) to come ;)

HEADRAT

Associate
Hi,

Just got one of these. No dead pixels. Very pleased.

I'd like to watch DVDs full screen, like in the picture of finding Nemo above.

I think I need 1:1 pixel mapping, but that option is always greyed on my menu.

I'm connecting using the dvi input.

My gfx card is an Ati x1800.

Please can someone tell me how to connect it so I don't get the "letter box" effect when watching DVDs?

Thanks in advance.

Hussman

Soldato
So if you play a 16:9 ratio move you will get borders top and bottom as the 2405FPW is 16:10, lots of movies aren't even in 16:9 they are in the original wider cinema aspect ratio so they will always appear in a letterbox.

If you check the picture above you will see that the picture does not fully fill the screen.

HEADRAT

Caporegime
If you play movies using PowerDVD/Nero Showtime you can always alter the aspect ratio in the software. e.g. in Showtime, I can tell it to force an aspect ratio of 16:10.

Soldato
use a freebie proggy like Media Player Classic (mpc) pressing number 8 on numpad lets stretch the picture. but then youll have to get used to long faces :D

Hedrat if your ergoton arm is a hydrulic one then make sure you set the pressuure right first. i set mine too week and almost slammed me monitor into my desk.

Caporegime
The other thing you can do is set your DVD software to "Pan & Scan" mode. That way it takes the central portion of the feature and blows it up to eliminate all black bars whilst preserving the aspect ratio. Only trouble with this is you get bits at the side chopped off (which in some cases isn't too much grief).

Soldato
Hussman said:
Hi,

Just got one of these. No dead pixels. Very pleased.

I'd like to watch DVDs full screen, like in the picture of finding Nemo above.

I think I need 1:1 pixel mapping, but that option is always greyed on my menu.

I'm connecting using the dvi input.

My gfx card is an Ati x1800.

Please can someone tell me how to connect it so I don't get the "letter box" effect when watching DVDs?

Thanks in advance.

Hussman

it will be greyed out if the res is set to 1920*1200, try setting it to something lower see what happens

Soldato
i played the ROe expansion few months back its preety good with it. but a freiend of mien said he could notice streaking. depends on your eyes i guess

Back
Top Bottom