My new Dell 2405FPW - pictures & first impressions

Associate
mcdermotx said:
You could try and use the VLC player with QT h.264 1080p files..
Much better performance than with the standard QT player..
Playback is nice and smooth.......but I find the 1080p files still suck due to the artefacting and 'haloing' in the image.......720p is a little better..
QT H.264 still needs a bit of work......WMVHD 1080p of the Batman Begins trailer was very impressive in comparison

try coreavc. makes 1080i h264 just about playable on a 2500+ aXP :D

miles better than ffdshows decoder

Associate
i have just got mine,very impressed with it but you need to spend some time on setting up the display i.e brightness and gamma because at the start it seems not very good.i must thank Baddass and other posters for his hard work ,i am converted to the tft cause

Associate
Can anyone tell me if the four card reader devices on this monitor are recognised and work OK on Mac OS X Tiger? I think they ought to as they are generic USB mass storage devices...

Soldato
You cannot have DVI and D-SUB side by side or Picture in Picture

You can only pick from Composite, Component or S-Video, it wont even let you have Composite with Component side by side. :(

I run two computers into the 1 monitor and switch between the two when I need to.

Soldato
I've had a 2405 since March of this year and it's been a pleasure to use eversince,unfortunately the card reader packed up the other day, so after consultation with Dell customer support they have agreed to swap out the monitor.

I didn't go into any specifics with them regarding the replacement and whether or not it would be a new or refurbished monitor,manufacture of the 2405 I would assume has now stopped due to the introduction of the 2407 so is it possible I could end up with the new model,I'm really hoping otherwise as I much prefer the older 2405.

Has anyone recently had a swap out for the 2405 and if so what did you receive as replacement? Thanks for any info.

Soldato
HEADRAT said:
I got a 2407 as a replacement a couple of weeks back.

Oh dear,looks like i'll probably get one too then,how d'you like it compared to the 2405 Headrat? specs look similar,although response time is rated a lot lower,can't see it making much difference tbh,as I've never experienced ghosting with the 2405.

Soldato
I would say the 2407 and 2405 are pretty similar, I've never seen any ghosting on either screen but then I don't really play a great deal of fast paced FPS. On balance I would say the 2407 is a better screen, the viewing angle has been improved which helps when your running two of these side by side.. I wouldn't be concerned by the replacement of your 2405 by a 2407, if anything I would be pleased as you are getting a newer design of panel for you old screen.

I've got to say I've been pretty stunned by how good Dells replacement policy is and how slickly it works, the only other supplier that comes close is Logitech. Online stores tend to be pretty terrible with Customer Support when things go wrong, either waiting for hours in phone queues or having to mail off queries and waiting days for replies. Dell and Logitech show that it can be done and to be honest that there is no real excuse for poor CS it just all comes down to £££.

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes,I was pleasantly suprised by the efficiency of Dells customer support,as I had heard a few horror stories,or at least its good once you've navigated the terrible telephone menu system.Oh,and don't bother trying to get hold of them on a weekend 'cos they're shut! very strange for a company the size of Dell not to have 24/7 customer support I think,but I couldn't raise anyone this w'end just gone.

They've agreed to swapout the monitor though and with a very fast turnaround,so they're o.k im my book.

Associate
I should be able to show some side by side pics of a 2405 and 2407 by the end of the week.
I've had my 2405 for around a year now and love it. I was looking for a second one but the prices they're going for aren't a huge deal less than the 2407 so I thought I might aswell go for the newer model and it's full warrenty.
Now all I need is for my 2405 to develop a fault so I can a replacement to match :o Although I'm not sure they'd do a direct swap since this 2405 is a replacement for a 2005 which was in short supply at the time. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Before

front3.jpg

After

nmon2.jpg

Associate
Nice setup, I'm contemplating getting those speakers too, although maybe the non wireless version.
If I was ever around your house I'd have to swap those keyboards around though :p
I'd say you need to tidy the cables but mine are probably worse at the moment :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom