My new E46 M3

Caporegime
ProTyre if you have a branch near you will do it properly. Cost will depend on what level of adjustments are needed.

16miles away (Middlewich, Cheshire) worth a call to find out the in's & outs and what kit they use....

I use Justcarclinic for alignment.

Since I used them for the Porsche which took them 2 hours to do and cost a flat fee if £49.99 I've thrown all my cars at them.

If it needs 1 adjustment it will cost you £49.99, if it needs everything adjusting it will cost £49.99. I like it.

Oh and it is certainly Hunter.

That's the kind of place (and price!) in thinking of, my nearest branch is 62miles away though (Ilkeston) which is something of a pain....

Certainly swinging toward a Hunter job, read good things about those.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dino on Cutters is selling his BMWP BBK set up for £1100 with the aluminium brackets. Good price?

If you could knock him down to £950 and tell him to keep the Pagid RS29's, then yes, very good deal. That's assuming you weren't going to be using your car for many/any track days? I've got some £50 Textar OEM ones on mine and with the improved, lower temperatures from the new calipers anyway, they won't cook anywhere near as quickly as the standard brake system.

Also, the RS29's squeal like a mother. I had to take them off my old 330ci, even though they were utterly fantastic, but it just became embarrassing when i was driving around town.

Like the wheel bar the silly red bit though, seems pointless tbh, what does it achieve? It looks more derp than hooligan to my old eyes!

It's so when I'm drifting around every corner, i know where the centre of the steering wheel is...duh ;) :D

Nah, I quite like the little red band - some of the Audi's have it and it is useless on a road car, much like half the things on road cars (spoilers, diffusers, splitters etc), but I just like the little styling tweak.

Loving the look of the brakes though, car looks lovely!

Yeah they really are great, and I'd be lying if I said that I bought them only for the improved braking. I'd be lying if I said I bought them mostly for the improved braking.

Have you noticed any improvement with the feel of the car after the alignment? - my 530 has started munching the inside of its n/s/r tyre rather badly, just deciding where to get it done and what type of alignment to opt for.

No not really. I haven't had a full Hunter alignment done yet as everything was seized up when they tried. But my tyres are wearing more or less very evenly, except at the back where I have some excess wear to the outside edges of the rears.

Does the new brake set-up now change the 50/50 brake distribution?

The brakes have never been 50/50 - by virtue of the fact that the front brakes will always have to work harder.

Standard M3:

67FR/33RR

M3 CSL:

64FR/36RR

M3 with BMWP fronts:

65FR/35RR

So that puts the BMWP fronts with standard rears very close to the CSL setup, but only shifts it a couple of % away from the STD M3. It therefore doesn't affect the bias or dynamics under braking at all.

Man of Honour
Ah so not much in it then. I've gone back to umming and ahhing about the BMWBBK, I would want matching rears though too and as you've said, extra cost, it's not like a small cost either. I don't do hard braking or track days, only road braking, so for that kind of use it just seems like it would be a big session of throwing money into the air :o

With that in mind I think I'm leaning more on the refubing my existing calipers, probably DIY refurb, clean, sand and paint black. Once I need new disks, it will look neat no doubt. I can then just get new pads when needed too, the OEM pads are quite dusty and the fade can be felt after a couple of heavy braking sessions from "speed", I hear good things about Performance Friction pads though.

Soldato
OP
I use Justcarclinic for alignment.

Since I used them for the Porsche which took them 2 hours to do and cost a flat fee if £49.99 I've thrown all my cars at them.

If it needs 1 adjustment it will cost you £49.99, if it needs everything adjusting it will cost £49.99. I like it.

Oh and it is certainly Hunter.

See this is what annoys me about some of the places in our area. £39 + VAT for a Hunter alignment....plus £10 per adjustment. And there are 10 possible adjustments apparently. So I could be getting a bill for £43 or £150. Ridiculous way of doing it. Others charge £75 for all adjustments etc which is a bit better.

Ah so not much in it then. I've gone back to umming and ahhing about the BMWBBK, I would want matching rears though too and as you've said, extra cost, it's not like a small cost either. I don't do hard braking or track days, only road braking, so for that kind of use it just seems like it would be a big session of throwing money into the air :o

With that in mind I think I'm leaning more on the refubing my existing calipers, probably DIY refurb, clean, sand and paint black. Once I need new disks, it will look neat no doubt. I can then just get new pads when needed too, the OEM pads are quite dusty and the fade can be felt after a couple of heavy braking sessions from "speed", I hear good things about Performance Friction pads though.

Doooo it! The way I justified it is I needed new discs/pads anyway and I make an outlay of £800 on the calipers and fitting kit. When I come to sell the car, a bolt on BMW/Brembo branded caliper kit will be a sought after piece of kit which I will have no problems moving, whilst making minimal loss on it. In other words, I am certain I will get most of my money back from it!

awesome!!

exactly the same colour/spec as my old one, miss it!

has the subframe been checked/repaired?

I do really like the colour combo, but every time I see a dark blue M3 I long for one. I've always been a dark blue colour fan! But I am loving the fact that this colour never really looks that dirty, but when you clean it, it still looks really shiny.

Subframe was fixed by BMW in June 2014 so hopefully job's a good 'un!

Man of Honour
You are only making me want them more by that account! But I will likely just stick to my guns as that's £800 for single digit % increase in braking performance in the grand scheme of things! The stock caliper has ///M engraved on it, if I paint my callipers black, the engraving could be painted dark grey to add some contrast. Bit like this:

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/goterps0306/media/brakepaintdone.jpg.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom