• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My Zotac 4090 has malfunctioned ? I think it has

Associate
So all of a sudden my Zotac Amp Extreme 4090 suddenly developed a malfunction

During web browsing my GPU suddenly decided to change the resolution from 3440x1440 to some blurry 720 resolution, when I tried to change back to the default it would not allow me

Nvdia control panel doesnt work, and via device manager display adaptor its showing me the yellow warning triangle

So i try to install new drivers, it fails and hangs
On restarts the damn monitor sometimes doesnt discover a signal from the GPU
HDR option greyed out

So I install a back up GPU, 3080ti and itg works perfectly, bang in the 4090 and same crap, lame blurry resolution and my Asus Motherboards Beeps 1 long 3 Short, this means GPU error

So seems to me after 14 months of light use the card has malfunctioned

now who will deal with the warranty? the retailer or Zotac?

Anyone experience a nightmare?

Klo

Klo

Soldato
So all of a sudden my Zotac Amp Extreme 4090 suddenly developed a malfunction

During web browsing my GPU suddenly decided to change the resolution from 3440x1440 to some blurry 720 resolution, when I tried to change back to the default it would not allow me

Nvdia control panel doesnt work, and via device manager display adaptor its showing me the yellow warning triangle

So i try to install new drivers, it fails and hangs
On restarts the damn monitor sometimes doesnt discover a signal from the GPU
HDR option greyed out

So I install a back up GPU, 3080ti and itg works perfectly, bang in the 4090 and same crap, lame blurry resolution and my Asus Motherboards Beeps 1 long 3 Short, this means GPU error

So seems to me after 14 months of light use the card has malfunctioned

now who will deal with the warranty? the retailer or Zotac?

Anyone experience a nightmare?
How long is the warranty? Usually its 2 years, if it is you'll need to go back to the retailer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have another PC to test the 4090 in?

If the same fault is there then you know its the 4090 causing the problems.

Associate
Do graphics cards still have the brittle solder issue,after changing to lead free years ago? Or has that been resolved now?

If its under warranty speak to Zotac, if not, maybe the oven trick if the above is still the case??

Associate
OP
Ok so Ive taken the card to my work PC and it displayed the same symptoms, after a few restarts it suddenly worked, so I boxed it back up and took it home

Now as soon as Ive connected the card I get the same issues, but this time im getting windows HDD check pop ups, and BSOD, some times when it goes to desktop my mouse keyboard wont work or its the same blurry screen

Installing a 3080TI has zero issues

So I call the retailer and asked for an RMA

Now they said to me because the GPU is 14 months old and the Zotac Amp Extreme 4090 is no longer in circulation they will deduct 25% of the value, so thats about £400 from the £1950 i paid for the card

I was outraged as I asked for a repair or a replacement, they said its Zotac that deducts because of depreciation.

When I spoke to the retailer they also told me its consumer law

I can confirm that the 4090 displaying issues wasn't my fault.

I think its unfair that I have to pay another £400 because my card decided to malfunction and the retailer will only refund £1450 from the 1950 i paid

Anyway Zotac said this:

I’m not aware of any policy as you’ve described.

The only reason I can think of that the 4090 cannot be replaced may be to do with the US export controls on GPUs for AI use in China. Unfortunately the 4090 was caught in this, and as 90% of 4090s are manufactured in China this might be causing a supply issue until the production base can be moved.

The above has nothing to do with my RMA

Also if this is true then Zotacs 5 year warranty is pointless because they will say not in circulation, deduction due to depreciation

Soldato
The depreciation thing if a card is not in circulation is true. It also depends if the store stocks it anymore to provide a direct replacement. You could ask the store to RMA to Zotac with your email, but you might end up waiting months.

After 3 years you would have to RMA directly with Zotac as well. As the retail warranty is only 3 years.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The depreciation thing if a card is not in circulation is true. It also depends if the store stocks it anymore to provide a direct replacement. You could ask the store to RMA to Zotac with your email, but you might end up waiting months.

After 3 years you would have to RMA directly with Zotac as well. As the retail warranty is only 3 years.
ur right, could take longer with zotac, i posted on reddit and someone said the retailer is doing me over.

what kind of consumer law is that

Back
Top Bottom