NAND on the way right up!! More expensive Flash and SSDs

Soldato
Pretty sure the same thing was said a few months ago and well prices dropped further. Not buying it this time but thanks for the "warning" ;)

Caporegime
arknor said:
that was because of a tsunami
ok then..... scientists labeled it as a tsunami but i guess you are more qualified....
We have heard on the international news about the devastating flooding that struck Thailand. This natural disaster has left essential hard drive manufacturing facilities and equipment under water. The damaged facilities are key to the worldwide supply of hard drives. As a result, the industry is forecasting a major hard drive shortage that is expected to last at least through the summer of 2012
J4mrP.jpg
Sm17K.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I fail to see where it says "tsunami". Monsoon flooding in Thailand was not caused by a tsunami, I don't know where your facts come from.

One of the article also mentions that Thailand was supplying 25% of the world's hard drives, but not all factories were flooded and WD resumed production by the end of 2011.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
All of your theory's are correct about prices dropping however lets assume a case of "sods law" and that in this instance theory is just theory and practice is different.

You can tell yourself pricing will continue to drop etc however when production and supplies are cut prices will go up. That is effectively what has happened.

Soldato
If you need to buy an SSD now, why wait, go and buy one. If you do not and are just hedging against future price rises, I would wait until you do need one and buy at the market. Buying just to stock reinforces the price and possibly maintains it high. You also lose liquidity.

Caporegime
I fail to see where it says "tsunami". Monsoon flooding in Thailand was not caused by a tsunami, I don't know where your facts come from.

One of the article also mentions that Thailand was supplying 25% of the world's hard drives, but not all factories were flooded and WD resumed production by the end of 2011.
experts classed it as a "slow motion tsunami"
;)

Soldato
Well, looking at a couple of drives on a price tracking website for a competitor, there wasn't really any significant rise in prices last time you made a thread about how we should all buy SSDs right now before prices went through the roof - what makes this thread different?

Associate
All of your theory's are correct about prices dropping however lets assume a case of "sods law" and that in this instance theory is just theory and practice is different.

You can tell yourself pricing will continue to drop etc however when production and supplies are cut prices will go up. That is effectively what has happened.

Your right in that a broad statement about the market generally isn't really founded upon any solid fact unless you know of a problem affecting NAND yields. If its just a supply problem to OCUK then it is very responsible to let your customers know of the potential rise in prices. That's more than a lot of retailers would do and it's no skin off your nose if you try to warn people who don't listen.

That being said people aren't likely to panic buy just because SSD prices might go up for a few months

Soldato
There have a been a few instances of hardware going up in price. One that springs to mind is 2006 when DDR2 prices went through the roof, although I don't recall why that was. The other obvious and recent one is mechanical hard-drives which was an obvious supply issue.

It would be interesting to hear the justification/speculation as to why the prices would increase, and if so, for how long.

There has been quite a big shift in enthusiasts buying SSDs are their OS drive but when it comes to the bog-standard Purple shirt offerings you'll be lucky to find one inside. I don't think the demand is as massive as it could be, maybe once 512gb drives are cheap enough Dell etc. may start using them more.

Associate
There have a been a few instances of hardware going up in price. One that springs to mind is 2006 when DDR2 prices went through the roof, although I don't recall why that was. The other obvious and recent one is mechanical hard-drives which was an obvious supply issue.

It would be interesting to hear the justification/speculation as to why the prices would increase, and if so, for how long.

There has been quite a big shift in enthusiasts buying SSDs are their OS drive but when it comes to the bog-standard Purple shirt offerings you'll be lucky to find one inside. I don't think the demand is as massive as it could be, maybe once 512gb drives are cheap enough Dell etc. may start using them more.

The numpty brigade seem to be putting them into systems that can't optimise ssds and charge a huge premium on them. Agreed if cheap unreliable ssds flood the market, a certain high street retailer will start fillin their overpriced badly wired lappys with them

Back
Top Bottom