Nasty Gal ad banned over "underweight" model

Man of Honour
The thing that gets me is that this could have happened at any time over the last 150,000 years or so. People have been much the same. Same intelligence, same thoughts, same loves and hates, same inginuity, and so on, for all that time. What made it just happen then?

Genius and luck, probably. Many advances have come from a person observing what many others have observed and, unlike them, deducing something from that observation and experimenting to test that hypothesis. My favourite example is Eratosthenes calculating the size of the earth from a stick. Someone told him that in a particular town (I forget the name of it) at midday on a particular day of the year you could see all the way down a well with no shadows cast by the walls of the well. Many people had observed that over the years (everyone who had ever lived in the town, just for starters) but it was Eratosthenes who used that observation to deduce that the difference in lengths of shadows from sticks of the same length in different places at the same time could be used to calculate the size of the Earth. The only inaccuracy in his method is that it relies on the assumption that the Earth is a perfect sphere and it isn't quite. Getting back from my meandering...my guess is that over the millenia quite a few people would have observed seeds falling and plants growing where the seeds fell but only a few hypothesised that it would be possible to make plants grow where you wanted them to by planting seeds. An obvious idea in retrospect, but not until someone had thought of it and successfully confirmed it by experiment. Why would a hunter-gatherer think of planting crops anyway? It was a radically new and different idea to them, as strange as, for example, the germ theory of disease was somewhat more recently. Or even more recently, a programmable general purpose computer. It's such a routine thing now that toddlers understand the general concept, but when Babbage invented it he had enormous difficulty explaining what was then an utterly bizarre concept to anybody and only had any significant success by over-simplifying it as an automatic calculator. His response to the Countess of Lovelace's letter is joyfully enthusiastic because he was so delighted to find someone who really understood the idea.

(But then, in the same way, many human groups must have crossed the red sea at the "Gates of Grief" over time. But the genetic record strongly suggests that just One (AND ONLY ONE) of those groups went on to become the ancestors of ALL non-African Humans!!)

It is quite staggering really!

I'm not so sure that many human groups left Africa, by any route, in the ancient past. It's not like Africa was short of space for the relatively few humans alive back then. Also, I think it's not certain that all humans outside of Africa are descended from the same group who left Africa together. I don't think we can nail the timing down anywhere near that precisely, nor the lineage. For example, if a woman had no daughters then using mDNA to trace maternal lineage won't get to her.

Soldato
I'm not arguing that humans have no ability to function in water at all. I'm arguing that it's not enough to consider them aquatic in a meaningful way. Our generalist versatility gives us some ability in many areas, but I think that's not the same as being adapted well enough to be classified that way. Another example comes to mind. Humans can see to some extent in quite low light conditions. It takes time for our eyes to adapt to low light, but after a while we can see enough to get around in quite low light. Humans can also be awake at night if they choose to be or have to be. Humans can also hunt animals by sight, smell and hearing and humans can eat animals. I think that doesn't make us nocturnal predatory carnivores. Not like, for example, a cat.

We are cathemeral omnivore's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathemerality

Soldato
Saw the new McCain oven chip advert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7mlLwMeaM
this was the ultimate in hypocrisy, they are pushing the diversity (box ticking) of the people eating their chips (disabled etc)... but none of them were (siginificantly) plus sized, so I think this advert should be reported, misrepresenting the population ?

Caporegime
Saw the new McCain oven chip advert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7mlLwMeaM
this was the ultimate in hypocrisy, they are pushing the diversity (box ticking) of the people eating their chips (disabled etc)... but none of them were (siginificantly) plus sized, so I think this advert should be reported, misrepresenting the population ?
Not too many homosexuals either, needs more.

Associate
Haven't read this whole thread, just saw the title and thought I'd fire in with my opinion. How Millenial of me.

Recall seeing this advert and thinking, 'wow, she's skinny'.

I did not write to trading standards and complain about it, probably because I'm not a fat vegan feminist.

Caporegime
Haven't read this whole thread, just saw the title and thought I'd fire in with my opinion. How Millenial of me.

Recall seeing this advert and thinking, 'wow, she's skinny'.

I did not write to trading standards and complain about it, probably because I'm not a fat vegan feminist.

Well done you may proceed to GO and collect your 200 rational human points

Soldato
Not too many homosexuals either, needs more.

I also felt it was short on the following (to name just a few):

-Transsexuals
-Gender fluids
-Somalian refugees who have been involved in the gang rape of a child
-Triggered SJWs

Shame on you McCain, if I could buy your product in India....I wouldn't.

Soldato
https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/mya-cosmetic-surgery-ltd-a18-459775.html

Ad description
A TV ad and a video-on-demand (VOD) ad for breast enlargement surgery at MYA Cosmetic Surgery:

a. The TV ad, seen in May, June and July 2018, featured a voice-over which stated, "If you've been considering breast enlargements for a while, then visit mya.co.uk to book your free consultation". The ad showed young women posing, dancing and laughing around a swimming pool, on the beach and on a boat. The voice-over continued, "These girls had breast enlargements with MYA and all feel amazing".

b. The same ad appeared on the ITV Player on 4 July 2018.

Issue
Seventeen complainants, including the Mental Health Foundation, who felt the ad exploited young women's insecurities about their bodies, trivialised breast enhancement surgery and portrayed it as aspirational, challenged whether the ad was irresponsible and harmful.

(no threads from @lovesloveisland. ?)

presumably there were no cosmetic surgery discusssions in the broadcast itself, that might have supported this
why does the broadcaster of the advert not get fined ?

Once again social media / FB is equally/more guilty of propagating these kinds of stupid messages.

Back
Top Bottom