National insurance cut

Associate
Not sure what the percentage is and don't have time to work it out, but IIRC unrecovered NHS spending on treating foreign patients is £1.8 billion out of a budget of £150 billion a year.
We have to get travel insurance when we go abroad don't we, so it's no different. Cases have highlighted this when someone goes abroad without taking out insurance and end up stuck there because they haven't paid the bill

Associate
I have always liked the the washing machine story. £400 quid in curries then by the time it went through the approval it ended up costing £1500..... Some purchasing power needs to be put back at lower levels. Just that the UK has this stupid culture of if we don't use it this year we wont get as much next year malarky.
In my town they local council are on a roll fixing potholes and cleaning drains, I wonder if it could be the end of the tax year that's getting them moving?

Soldato
In my town they local council are on a roll fixing potholes and cleaning drains, I wonder if it could be the end of the tax year that's getting them moving?

Roadworks everywhere round here. I get the budget thing but why not spend it all year round? They come and slap some tarmac in the holes, which will be busted again by this time next year

Soldato
To be fair, 1.8bn could pay for a lot of medical staff.

Finding efficiencies needs to be approached from multiple angles though rather than focusing on one thing.

Indeed, especially when NHS staff are quitting and then re-hired on agency rates, just as one example.
Another example would be the public mis-use of emergency services, GP's etc, etc.

It's a multi-headed hydra of wasted resources or poorly utilised resourses, the problem is the NHS is such a huge and complex organisition and often disjointed in it's activities, there's no easy solution.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair, 1.8bn could pay for a lot of medical staff.

Finding efficiencies needs to be approached from multiple angles though rather than focusing on one thing.
Sure could, but the £4.7 billion tax gap.

And £125 billion that some people consider to be scandalous spending by the Sunak government could pay for a whole lot more.
So about 1.2% for arguments sake... I'd hazzard there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to making the NHS more cost effective!
It would be even less than that as the £1.8bn figure is what's classed as 'normal' use by foreign visitors, so basically pick what number best suits the point. (deliberate health tourism for example is estimated to be in the £110-180 million range, £500 million would be taken off that £1.8bn in recovery (health insurance)).

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure could, but the £4.7 billion tax gap.
(snip)
“Fiscal ineptitude” - sums up this lot nicely! Is it really ineptitude when the dodgy dealings with their mates are clearly deliberate though?

I’d say they know exactly what they’re doing.

Last edited:
Permabanned
We have to get travel insurance when we go abroad don't we, so it's no different. Cases have highlighted this when someone goes abroad without taking out insurance and end up stuck there because they haven't paid the bill

If you have a Global Health Insurance Card, you can get emergency and maternity care in many countries without travel insurance. This is a reciprocal arrangement with have with many European – and a few other – nations.

And immigrants to this country already have to pay £1,000+ per year (paid in advance) to access the NHS. That’s on top of the regular tax they pay.

Associate
If you have a Global Health Insurance Card, you can get emergency and maternity care in many countries without travel insurance. This is a reciprocal arrangement with have with many European – and a few other – nations.

And immigrants to this country already have to pay £1,000+ per year (paid in advance) to access the NHS. That’s on top of the regular tax they pay.
I don't think some people are talking legal immigrants here, who I have no quibble with.

Last edited:
Associate

I don't think this is the issue some are talking about, it's about those who are using our system but we don't get the money spent out back

Last edited:
Soldato
That’s where the £1.8 billion figure is coming from. It’s mostly legal visitors and immigrants.

If they are legal and insured, then the NHS can claim the costs of thier health care/treatment back from the insurance company. Wheather that happens or not is anyones guess.

Also if they are here legally, and working, they will be paying tax and therefore able to have access to the NHS.

Likewise with the ECHC/GHIC... If i need hospital treatment in spain when on holliday, it's 'free' to me, but the Spanish health care system will 'back charge the NHS' as I'm already covered under NHS as a UK citizen.

Soldato
If they are legal and insured, then the NHS can claim the costs of thier health care/treatment back from the insurance company. Wheather that happens or not is anyones guess.

Also if they are here legally, and working, they will be paying tax and therefore able to have access to the NHS.

Likewise with the ECHC/GHIC... If i need hospital treatment in spain when on holliday, it's 'free' to me, but the Spanish health care system will 'back charge the NHS' as I'm already covered under NHS as a UK citizen.

It's not necessarily free, it entitles you to the same level of care as citizens of that country - in the UK and many other countries that does mean free, but there are some places you still might need to pay a small amount.

Caporegime

That's a bit iffy, it can vary a lot depending on the country, if they also have a free at the point of use public system (IIRC some Scandi countries do) then that may be the case but lots of countries operate insurance models with a mix of public and private insurance schemes (and indeed public and private hospitals).

So UK, free at the point of use, paid for via taxation/national insurance etc. people form overseas in that scheme can be treated like a resident i.e. visit and also get free treatment.

But UK person goes overseas to a country where they've ring-fenced their funding via insurance models, great.. you too can be treated like a resident... which means you need some insurance, which they all have via their employer or via a public scheme if on low income.

I guess while we get a bit of a raw deal as individuals it maybe works out well for the government/budget as perhaps means less for the UK to pay out on our behalf for overseas medical treatment as our insurance companies pay... on the other hand not clear how good the NHS is at billing foreigners/foreign governments.

Caporegime

Exactly, so most of that 1.8bn is or can be recovered

Back
Top Bottom