Poll: National service not a bad thing?

Would twelve months National Service benefit our society and culture?

• Yes

Votes: 293 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 218 42.7%

• Total voters
Caporegime
With the youth of today totally narcissist and preoccupied with the self...

Surely National service would bring some needed focus to them?

With unemployment and social issues rife...This could be a useful Avenue ?

I see no harm in 12 months tbh...

Thoughts?

Soldato
Pay for itself if we make it partially social care based, it doesn't have to be military, but militaristic in regimental style, coupled with actual use for filling the holes in our society.
Will never happen, but conceptually could be a good thing.
A nation of young trained first responders, social caring, fit able young people.
Just a dream.

Caporegime
Of those in favour I wonder how many people (without previous service) would still be in favour if all those who had previously missed out and had never served then also had to commit to 12 months (perhaps spread out into 3 month blocks over 4 years the case of older people).

Tis only fair - if you expect everyone to do it when hitting 18 or 21 say then anyone who isn't say 60 or a veteran ought to be committing to some backdated service too.

Caporegime
With the youth of today totally narcissist and preoccupied with the self...

Surely National service would bring some needed focus to them?

With unemployment and social issues rife...This could be a useful Avenue ?

I see no harm in 12 months tbh...

Thoughts?

Yup no harm except for systemic abuse of young boys and girls that happens in nearly all such state care things.

I vote that all old people should have to do national service to make up for running the country into the ground

Soldato
The youth of today are ugly human beings with spoilt tenancies...

I suggest that the current youth are the same as they always have been. The clothes, music and language is different sure, but the attitude? Exactly the same as when I was growing up in the 70s.

Easyrider, I think it's you that's changed..

Caporegime
OP
Yup no harm except for systemic abuse of young boys and girls that happens in nearly all such state care things.

Bit of a generalisation. Abuse happens everywhere and I would argue the majority I witness is within social peer groups.

I vote that all old people should have to do national service to make up for running the country into the ground

Elaborate

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bit of a generalisation. Abuse happens everywhere and I would argue the majority I witness is within social peer groups.

Elaborate

Err just look at the abuse of children in care homes etc.

The abuse of recruits in army bases etc.

Its a dtupid solution brought by a person who only wants it because he wants to punish people he doesnt know for hilarious sterotypes.

Like i said it should be your generation doing it for free to tey snd fix the countey you broke.

But i suppose a succinct point for this forum would simply be, remember Pyro.

Caporegime
OP
I suggest that the current youth are the same as they always have been. The clothes, music and language is different sure, but the attitude? Exactly the same as when I was growing up in the 70s.

Easyrider, I think it's you that's changed..

I was a self absorbed arse as a teenager

But I got up and let old people sit down on the bus and curbed my language

Soldato
I think people have the wrong idea when they think of national service. Theres a guy I watch on Twitch (cyanideplaysgames) who I think lives in Singapore and has just finished up his national service as a fireman. From what he has said about it it sounds like a good thing and he has learned a lot and met some good people through it. It shouldn't be thought about like its a punishment.

Back
Top Bottom