NEARLY 2 YEARS WAITING: New Mustang GT PP is finally mine!

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

WOW WOW, ******* WOW!

OK they like warmer temps, roads mainly dry, some damp/greasy patches but the grip was totally bonkers from both axles.

Car is not understeering, also these tyres are not like MPSS which would grip grip grip and then that grip would progressively go and you were going real quick, but the feedback was good.

On these it is like they grip grip then start to lose traction a bit but you push a bit more and they re-grip and then your going just a quick, car just moves around a bit more, well your going quicker actually, though subjective feedback does not feel any better than MPSS.

The fronts have turned on much quicker than the rears as same corners and roundabouts where the car was trying to push wide, it is now neutral and going faster.

I think in Summer dry and wet they will be like **** to a blanket literally, they really seem to like temperature.

I need to see how they perform on next cold morning as they do seem to have a trait of the Pzero which is for first few corners they are lacking grip, don't take heat like MPSS did, not quite as bad as Pzero, but MPSS were awesome as I could just drive out my drive on a cold morning with no wheel spin.

On the Pzero even easing the clutch up span wheels with no throttle due to drive way angle and even reversing on drive when getting home they could spin if I was a little to eager. On the MPSS they never wheelspan, whereas the PS4S does, but maybe they still have a touch of grease in them.

But after 150 miles the rears seem to finally be settling, the fronts seem to have come alive just after 50 miles, could be compound difference between regular and K1 tyre. Or could be fact K1's were made March last year and the fronts were made last September so fresher.

The tyre fitters were like WTF your car is squeaking like crazy as turning out of their work shop, the tyres were literally sticking to their work shop surface.

Also another down point, the car is spraying stones and dirt up into the wheel arches, so much noise when pushing on, they fling everything up, so splash guards are a real must as these things are like following a gritter.

Back to comfort and noise though, oh my god, the added compliance into the chassis and the car is utterly silent at motorway speeds, at 40mph you can hear the road as you can in pretty much any car if you coast, but at higher speeds with over 1500rpm silence apart from engine soundtrack.

I do love how much comfort and NVH reduction they have had on the car, league apart from the MPSS on that, the Pzero were pretty quiet too, but these are even quieter.

Sgarrista
Commissario
See, told you, more power :D

I think if you can get some miles and have some fun over the weekend if the weather holds you're going to really feel them come alive.

Can't wait for some actually warm/hot weather.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

OK good and bad points now of the new PS4S:

Positives:
- Dry grip above 7c is exceptional, up on MPSS
- Subjective feel is as good but not better
- Road noise, compliance is an improvement and NVH is lower, comfort is much higher
- Wet grip / greasy grip is massively up particular on the none Ferrari front tyre, the turn in in the wet is unreal, simply fantastic
- Progression, I've being fully sideways WOT in 3rd gear twice now, both times I pooped myself a little, the initial let go seems fast without much warning, just like Pzero. But then it changes, it is almost like the tyre knows a slide is happening and though it feels like it let go quick you find your angle is only slowly increasing and does not go beyond a certain amount unless you keep your foot in. Letting off the car centres quite nicely, whereas on Pzero letting off and the whole car got a bit out of shape as the tyre once it had let go seemed to never re-grip, so it just became a matter of physics.

Negatives:
- The rear K1 Ferrari tyre 100% does not turn on in the cold like MPSS did, its a little like the Pzero in that from cold the tyre has a lot less grip whereas MPSS simply worked from the get go. Its not as bad as Pzero but coming from MPSS certainly notice it. The front seems to have no issue, it seems to be down to the K1 so clearly the compound is altered.
- Back to the rear K1 in the wet and cold on bumpy roads it can get easily upset and put you sideways, whereas the MPSS could take a little more abuse on bumpy stuff before letting go.
- The outright grip on the rear on lateral G in the wet seems to be maybe less, but when it does let go it seems to find grip again.

In short all the negatives seem to be coming from not the PS4S but the actual K1 tyre version, though the ride feels more compliant I am wondering if the tyre wall is stiffer and that is why my car is being upset by bumps on wet roads. This tyre was designed for the Lusso T, which has a 53% rear weight bias on a car which weighs around 1750kg, whereas my car is 1650kg with a 53% front balance. As such I am 100kg lighter in the rear.

I am gonna find out what pressure Ferrari put in this tyre and try those pressures but 2psi less due to me weighing less to see if that helps with any of the above.

In short its a great tyre and the none K1 version has the MPSS in every aspect for me, so a 285/35/20 square setup could be the way to go for many people. Whereas the 295/35/20 K1 Fezza does seem in the dry to be better and off power grip in the wet is amazing, but on bumpy wet roads under power it does seem like it can let go easy or if you treat the gas like an on/off switch, it seems to struggle with shock which of course any good driver will be smooth and this is probably why I survived on Pzero and many do not.

I am just sharing my thoughts, the rear could still improve more as I am upto around 150 miles now, but the front none Fezza tyre certainly turned on much quicker.

Michelin are supposedly releasing a regular 295/35/20 in the future that won't be K1, suspect just regular or N-Spec and N-spec are always fine on none Porsche cars these days as they do not alter compound, but K1/K2 tyres still have compound and sidewall alterations to meet Ferrari specification.

So there we have it, in the dry its like poo to a blanket, in the wet the front is insane, way more grip than MPSS, whereas the K1 rear seems to be a mix, smooth roads, no bumps again it grips like crazy, but bumps/shock to the tyre make it relinquish grip fast but it re-grips making for very progressive slides.

I think [MENTION]666mac[/MENTION] will absolute love this tyre on the back because he is a driving god and he loves going sideways at warp speed which this tyre will allow with more precision and control compared to MPSS, but for me right now its knocked my wet confidence levels in the car a bit.

Though I did try driving like a hoon but enabled wet mode and with this mode enable even WOT at close to 3 digit long sweeper bend the car stayed planted with the light flashing to stop any slide and the tyre and traction worked very well in harmony as power was only interrupted momentarily and the car did not even get chance to slide. Is this dangerous? Well I am use to trying similar stuff with no TCS and can keep it on the black stuff, was just testing the system.

Another option could be MPSS 295/35/20 on the rear and PS4S on the front, that should provide a very sure footed platform in all weathers or just go with square 285/35/20 PS4S setup. As it stands I am happy and lets see how things go.

But on a smooth big roundabout, I can navigate it at 42mph in the dry on MPSS, this morning I did it at 42mph in the wet on PS4S, lateral grip on smooth road is totally insane, wet is simply not far behind dry MPSS levels. :hail:

Soldato
Love the wheels Andy but could be a touch low? I'm sure you'll find out soon enough when you start pushing it in the dry though :D
it's too low for the wheel style and colour, the porsche looks better because it's got black wheels, plus it looks more like a race car anyway. it's made your Mustang look heavy

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Autobrite tyre gel just wipes off the velvet walls, however I had some Meguiars tyre endurance gel which works fine, apologies for the car being dirty but all I did this weekend was wash the wheels, tyres and exhaust. :D

IMG_9261.jpg~original

IMG_9264.jpg~original

IMG_9263.jpg~original

I also moved the front wheel out 2mm more, gives the impression of arch gap by using some 5mm spacers I had instead of the 3mm as I got myself some longer GM studs which fit fine!

OcUK Staff
OP
Much better!!!

Yeah the Mustang is super sensitive to wheel offset (ET), if they sit in gives a false impression of being bagged, sorted now. Though I am trying to get the front springs swapped anyway under warranty as every so often of specific bumps I get a clunk which is due to them being revision 1 of the springs which sat a little short meaning they do not properly seat against the top mount.

I have asked if they will replace with the newer revised spring which seats better because the spring is marginally taller, should not effect the height much 2-5mm but will remedy the clunk the front-end does on certain harsh bumps. It hardly happens and I can drive around it, but still if I can get them exchanged for the revised ones I might as well. :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
In short all the negatives seem to be coming from not the PS4S but the actual K1 tyre version, though the ride feels more compliant I am wondering if the tyre wall is stiffer and that is why my car is being upset by bumps on wet roads. This tyre was designed for the Lusso T, which has a 53% rear weight bias on a car which weighs around 1750kg, whereas my car is 1650kg with a 53% front balance. As such I am 100kg lighter in the rear.

I just took mine out down and smashed it right into the red line in first and then second. Nadda, nothing, not even a cheeky wiggle, no hint that grip was missing.

I wonder if the K1 spec need some more temperature, so once the weather warms up it will work better.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
I just took mine out down and smashed it right into the red line in first and then second. Nadda, nothing, not even a cheeky wiggle, no hint that grip was missing.

I wonder if the K1 spec need some more temperature, so once the weather warms up it will work better.

K1 definetely prefers temperature and the compound was changed enough to warranty a downgrade on wet performance to "B", both the 245 and 295 width K1 tyre are both rated B so it has nothing to do with tyre width as the none K1 in same sizes on PS4S and MPSS are rated "A"
My guess is Ferrari push for lighter tyres and my only guess to make it lighter means the compound is changed which does impact wet performance and cold weather performance. Ferrari's also have a tyre monitor system in their cars which show the driver when the tyre is at optimal temperature for driving hard.

Sgarrista
Commissario
K1 definetely prefers temperature and the compound was changed enough to warranty a downgrade on wet performance to "B", both the 245 and 295 width K1 tyre are both rated B so it has nothing to do with tyre width as the none K1 in same sizes on PS4S and MPSS are rated "A"
My guess is Ferrari push for lighter tyres and my only guess to make it lighter means the compound is changed which does impact wet performance and cold weather performance. Ferrari's also have a tyre monitor system in their cars which show the driver when the tyre is at optimal temperature for driving hard.

This would make sense, there was an article done by Pirelli about how various manufacturers make changes, and Ferrari effectively put track speed at the top, let me see if I can find it.

OcUK Staff
OP
So this weekend I have organised an event at Ford Wolverhampton, Saturday and Sunday the OcUK VR Simulator will be present, so you can book it to set a lap time to enter the Palmer Day competition.
On the Sunday I have organised a Mustang meet which so far we have 30-40 owners turning up, details below:

Hi there

I have being discussing with Ford Evans Halshaw and Dream Science about making a large space available to Mustang owners for their open weekend on 26th February and they have agreed to allocate 75 spaces to Mustang owners, so in theory if we aim to get around 50 Mustangs will mean plenty of space, but of course we can squeeze the full 75 cars (Mustangs ONLY - All generations) capacity.

Dreamscience shall also be on-site where you can discuss tunes and of course what kind of warranty their is on drive train and engine directly in person with both Ford (Evans Halshaw) and Dreamscience representatives.

There shall of course be plenty on display being an open weekend, though I doubt an MY18 will be present this early in the year, so don't go expecting to see an MY18.

Also Ford have agreed to allow Overclockers UK to take their VR Racing simulator as well, so you will be able to drive a Mustang in VR on a UK circuit. As seen here:

The Details:

Location: Ford Store (Evans Halshaw) Wolverhampton 57-73 Birmingham Rd, Wolverhampton WV2 3LS
Date: Sunday 26th February
Time: 09:00 - 16:00
Parking Mustang Spaces: Upto 50 spaces allocated at front of dealership, cars to start arriving at 9am.
Drinks: Available on-site
Food: Snacks shall also be available (http://www.littleretrokitchen.co.uk/)
VR Simulator: Shall be present on Sunday, potentially also the Saturday too!
Dreamscience: Shall be present on both Saturday & Sunday

List of Mustang Owners 100% Going

1. Gibbo205 - Old man Magnetic Mustang GT V8 5.0 with PP3 (500HP)
2. Manders - Race Red Ecoboost with working DRL's and very bored Mrs. :D
3. 666mac - The first 100k Triple Yellow Mustang, but its bloody quick! ;)
4. Guy@NemesisUK - Ingot Silver always sideways 5.0 GT :)
5. Mehuge - Race Red 5.0 GT
6. welsh treg - Race Red 5.0 GT
7. robbob144 - Ruby Red 5.0 GT
8. symone - Competition Orange V6 LHD
9. Ed Biel - S550 eb
10. Brian - S550 V8
11. Ian Kirk - S550 V8
12. Simon Glew - S550 V8
13. Darren - S197 V6
14. Jared - S550 V8
15. RSPcooper - Shadow Black V8 GT S550
16. Nostruss - Race Red V8 GT
17. Andy - Shadow Black V8 GT Convertible
18. Monty - Shadow Black EB
19. v8hgt - Race Red V8 GT
20. acull2000 - Race Red EB with more power than Manders
21. Stew Vlogs - Race Red V8 GT
22. Goosey - Magnetic V8 GT
23. Craig - Tri Yellow V8 GT Cab
24. Craig - Platinum S197 V8
25. Steve Dawson - Top secret Mustang
26. jason, shelby gt500 (s197) vert. (black)
27. Enoch - Guard V8 GT PP Auto Streetfighter Edition
28. Angry343 - DIB ECO PP
29. Mike Wild - Magnetic S550 EB
30. Brian Bartsch - White GT
31. Sheps - Kooks DIB GT
32. Richard Bradley Race Red with CP ecoboost

List of Mustang Owners MAYBE Going

1. Jimboy2
2. Sunny
3. SurfOrFight- Ruby Red V8 GT Auto

Overclockers UK VR Simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjBGq_cquY

VR_SIM.jpg

You can enter the racing competition at the event too if you wish, just ask a member of OcUK staff:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lp/overclockers-uk-racing-series.html?__ckdesktop=1

PARKING AREA - 50 spaces reserved until 9am

Ford.jpg~original

If anyone from OcUK fancies popping along to check out some cars or have a go on the VR Simulator then feel free to do so. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
I might pop over for a coffee and some cake. I assume I can get both, I have standards and all that?

Yes we have catering company turning up on the Sunday buddy, so coffee, cake, we even got bacon sandwiches and of course as there is an American theme going down, burgers too. Bring the R8 though buddy, a drive that far in the over powerful Polo and you might not make it. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Sounds cool, guess I may pop over also as its only up the road! Where do us classy folk park?

Wherever there is a space. I had 50 spaces reserved, but at 9am its free for all, I cannot see there being a major issue as most none Mustang owners will only be making short visits to play on the VR or just check out the stuff on display. Should be a busy day though, just hope its dry and not too cold so can actually be outside and not all invading the dealership and playing on the VR Simulator. :D

Back
Top Bottom