NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** UPDATED 25/02/06 ***

Associate
OP
Raymond Lin said:
when you say resolutuon expansion....you mean it fills the screen?

Yup. It's actually NEC terminology. It's called "Expansion Mode" and it's working for all resolutions of "1280x1024" and under automatically. Of course, you may disabled it if you like. It's controllable via OSD.

Associate
OP
Raymond Lin said:
What Richdog ask for is that he doesn't want it to fill the screen, because that stretches things.

I see ...

OK .. verifying now live. There are 3 options in the "Expansion Mode":

- Full
(it's stretching the picture, so there are no black bars around)

- Aspect
(It's keeping the resolution aspect rate, but you will have black bars on the left/right)

- Off

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Raymond Lin said:
What does off do ?

When select say 1280x1024, do you get a tiny black bars at the top as well ?

The answer i am looking for is yes.

OK ... think I got it !

- Full is stretching the image completely, so that whole screen is covered.

- Aspect is trying to simulate the monitor wide-screen aspect rate 16:10 on the selected resolution. It's stretched little bit, but there are still black bars left/right but not at the top (as far as I can see).

- Off is disabling any picture scaling processing. Resolution is natural as it should be. It's sharp and unaltered in any way. And, yes, there are tiny black bars on top/bottom and larger ones on left/right.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Raymond Lin said:
shame this came out 3 weeks after i got my Phlips and £70 more...can't really afford that.

Yup. I was planning to purchase the LCD wide-screen monitor many "moons" ago. However, I was waiting for the new panels to be available. It was completely blind and impulsive purchase. Didn't have a clue about the monitor as there was no single review available around ... just specs on the paper. Luckily, my expectations were exceeded by huge margin. Phew ;)

Caporegime
igors said:
OK ... think I got it !

- Full is stretching the image completely, so that whole screen is covered.

- Aspect is trying to simulate the monitor wide-screen aspect rate 16:10 on the selected resolution. It's stretched little bit, but there are still black bars left/right but not at the top (as far as I can see).

- Off is disabling any picture scaling processing. Resolution is natural as it should be. It's sharp and unaltered in any way. And, yes, there are tiny black bars on top/bottom and larger ones on left/right.

Hope this helps.

Yes! That's what I was looking for, top bloke! This monitor sounds absolutely bloody amazing, it will be my next purchase methinks.

Raymond Lin said:
That's cool, Richdog....I think you found your monitor !!!

shame this came out 3 weeks after i got my Phlips and £70 more...can't really afford that.

Indeed mate, sod the 3ms Viewsonic coming out in a couple of months, the response rate will be negligibly better if at all and I doubt the blacks will be as good as this monitor if half of what Igor says is true. Same with the colour.

Great stuff from all appearences!

Man of Honour
igors said:
New review update 18/02/06 is available ! Enjoy.

I have few questions for the forum administrator:

- Can you, please please please, update the main thread subject to
include the "18/02/06" date. Not sure why I can't do this. Last time, it
was auto magically updated ... probably touched by magic hands
of the forum admin.(

done for you. It was me who did it last time too as i'd read through and realised there was an update. Only just managed to read through this thread again.

Caporegime
Baddass said:
done for you. It was me who did it last time too as i'd read through and realised there was an update. Only just managed to read through this thread again.

Whats your opinion on this monitor and the panel then baddass? :)

Man of Honour
BeHardware have added a news article about the new "fast" IPS panels from LG.Philips to the site here. I haven't seen any pro reviews of any of these new IPS panels, and it looks like many models are starting to use them, including the recently talked about Philips 200W6CS and now the NEC LCD20WGX2. From the spec, it certainly looks fantastic, but as we know, specs can't really be trusted that much. Being that it is effectively an overdriven varient of the 16ms S-IPS panel used in the older models like the Dell 2005FPW etc, then it all boils down to whether LG.Philips have managed to apply and control the overdrive effectively. I would be wary personally until ive seen more tests, but user comments about this and about the Philips, are certainly promising :)

Caporegime
Ahhh this is the same one as in the Phillips? Well how come that one is rated at 8ms and this NEC at 6ms?

I'm confused, I thought this might have been been a slightly different panel variant. So it may not be any different speed-wise to the Phillips then...

EDIT - They don't mention the Phillips and say that the NEC is the first of its kind? :confused:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
well it's still the same technology at the end of the day, all they MAY have done is enhanced the overdrive even more. Similar to what Samsung did with the 8ms 193P+ and then the 6ms 970P. Fundamentally the same PVA panel, just a different level of overdrive. Now im not sure if the improvement to 8ms on the Philips made any real application improvements over the 16ms rated predecessor, and equally im not sure if the 6ms NEC is any real improvements either. It's a lot of marketing at the end of the day, and it is entirely possible that it is exaclty the same panel as the Philips, just with NEC deciding to alegadly measure the response time themselves and rate it a llittle better. This is why i want to see pro reviews comparing these new "fast IPS" panels

Back
Top Bottom