Need a car for the wife - suggestions please !

Associate
OP
This is very tempting..

59b8c97c.jpg

Enlarge2002 PEUGEOT 206 CC Converts,
02 reg. 25000 miles, met black paint, c/coded, air con, power hood, black leather, CD player, multi function steering, nice miles, alloys, remote alarmed, immobiliser, absolute stunning example, f/main dealer history, one keeper, p/x a pleasure. £7,999. .

Soldato
Don't listen to those people slagging of the 206cc.

We have one, and when it's sunny it's unbeatable for the money.

I find the driving postion awfull, but I'm 6'3'' with big feet. I am getting used to it though (after over a year) The other half (whose car it is) is about 5'6'' with normal feet is perfectly happy. Pug built this car for girls, and they fit fine.

I think the back seats are for monkeys only, but having said that, I can fit in the back (if there's just me for a short trip across town), though I need help getting out. The GF though can use use the back seats fine and she reckons though not exactly comfy she would be ok for an hour or so.

Ours is a 2.0L, with 136Bhp (methinks) and it's plenty fast enough. It's a tad harsh in places, and it likes to follow the road surface a bit. It torque steers a bit when you floor it but most lightish powerfull FWD's do.

It rattles, but that's something we live with because the roof comes down. Some say they leak, ours hasn't.

The boot is a good size when the roof is up, when it's down not so good.

Go have a drive in one, and choose a sunny day. And if you get one, get a warrantee, just in case the roof packs in.

Associate
ConfusedTA said:
They're a car designed as a small hardtop hatchback, that's had a tin-opener taken to it.

Therefore it'll have the driving dynamics of an opened can of peaches.

Surely an opened can of peaches which has been covered with a piece of clingfilm.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
The MG may not be as good as the MX-5 but its surely got to be better than the 206?

I would imagine that it would be a lot quicker and better handling as well as less likely to go wrong (apart from head gaskets...).

Soldato
M0T said:
The MG may not be as good as the MX-5 but its surely got to be better than the 206?

I would imagine that it would be a lot quicker and better handling as well as less likely to go wrong (apart from head gaskets...).

Quickly checking the numbers, it seems they are all of a muchness (if you go for the 2.0L's) the MGTF is the quickest if you go for the fastest versions. It's a bit of a moot point though, we never intended to put any of these on a track or a strip.

We tried all 3, and liked the 206 the most (well, the other half did).

M0T

M0T

Soldato
But the TF doesn't get torque steer because its rwd and it was designed to be a open top rather than being bodged together.

Think both cars look a bit too girly for my taste but the MG looks better.

Soldato
That's such a lot of money wasted on a such a terrible car.

I doubt your gf will care how it handles, but a fancy electric roof in a peugeot! Your asking for BIG trouble!

I know your not interested in the mx-5, but I found it funny that my next door neighbour has just gone and bought one a few weeks after I got mine. Apparantly he liked the look of mine so much he couldn't resist, shame he didn't ask me about it I would have let him have a test drive. :D

Last edited:
Associate
speaking as a pug owner who has owned an mx5 and an mg (not a tf)...

there is no way I would touch the 206cc or the mg... a 99 mx5 would be more reliable than a newer pug/mg.

if you dont like the mx5 then drive one! if you still dont like it, why not look at a toyota mr2 ?

Associate
OP
Many Thanks for all the contributions guys, plenty to think about..

Having had a chat with her tonight she might also be interested in a little sporty car, summat like a Puma , Tigra or the like ? She also like the look of the KA - is there a sporty one ? what about the droptop one - too expensive ?

I'm still thinking about an older MX5 btw ;)

:D

Back
Top Bottom