• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NEED HELP SOURCING SCREWS

Soldato
There is nothing you can do at this stage. If a dispute is raised, explain that the buyer has taken the card apart and has used it for a month.

As long as this is a private sale, there is no warranty. You simply had to have accurately described it's condition.

There isn't much you can do anyway.

Associate
he confirmed its because he wants to reattach the old cooler to test if it still works, but I never included it in the description precisely because I didnt keep these screws to hand so didnt want to commit to that. I only gave it to him because he messaged me saying did I have the cooler, and I said I have the old heatsink and fans so Ill include it for free, was never in the description

Did he message you about having the stock heatsink included before or after the item was won / bought?

Soldato
he seems from his page to be a parts reseller, so is acting like he knows more than me. But now I know what hes after im less apologetic to be quite honest,

Whats probably happened is he bought it hoping to install the cooler and likely sell the card and the block separately for profit, because it has no screws its not possible but as you say that was not part of the listing so i'd just tell him to do one - remind him what you sold him and that you in no way promised to support him in using Google to find some screws.

If he sends the card back refuse delivery unless you agreed to it, because he has sent you photographic evidence he has tampered with the product you sold him he's not got a leg to stand on. Dont forget eBay resolution team isnt gonna have a clue what this is and all they can see is your sales photo and him tearing it to bits at which point you can state he has clearly dismantled it so you believe any damage is caused by him. Just be strong and say look this is not what you agreed and point this out, then suggest he finds his own screws - if he doesnt stop just tell him to raise a paypal claim which will most likely get shot down.

Associate
I'm not so sure on all this "tell him to do one". The OP has said the guy has asked if the original heatsink was included before the sale / auction was finalised. The OP said it would be since the guy asked. IMO that's as good as it being part of the listing description at that point.

If I was in the position of selling a water blocked GPU and had that question asked of me I'd be making it very clear if parts were missing which made that cooler un-usable, because it'd seem likely to me that the buyer would have an expectation that it would be usable. This question gets asked very often of blocked cards on the MM. At the same time if I was a buyer of such a GPU I'd be asking if the screws were present and also what sort of state the VRM thermal pads were in because it's best to try and eliminate as much ambiguity from a seller as possible I find.

You can get gpu spring screws from aliexpress or from ebay. The screws for the rest of the card are prolly some kind of generic machine screw.

Associate
OP
I'm not so sure on all this "tell him to do one". The OP has said the guy has asked if the original heatsink was included before the sale / auction was finalised. The OP said it would be since the guy asked. IMO that's as good as it being part of the listing description at that point.

If I was in the position of selling a water blocked GPU and had that question asked of me I'd be making it very clear if parts were missing which made that cooler un-usable, because it'd seem likely to me that the buyer would have an expectation that it would be usable. This question gets asked very often of blocked cards on the MM. At the same time if I was a buyer of such a GPU I'd be asking if the screws were present and also what sort of state the VRM thermal pads were in because it's best to try and eliminate as much ambiguity from a seller as possible I find.

You can get gpu spring screws from aliexpress or from ebay. The screws for the rest of the card are prolly some kind of generic machine screw.
yeah I said Id try and source the screws but finding the correct ones is proving difficult tbh. I found the correct type of screw on ebay, its just the sizing. thats an issue

Associate
OP
Jzv5My7KXdc1HpPyQt5pVXPfQ

Associate
If you're not buying them from Homebase etc. and from an actual screw supplier (not Screwfix, although they are my go-to place for woodscrews) you'll probably find them cheap enough to buy bags of 10 in each size and have them posted to the other guy.

Don't do what I did though and bought a load off minature machine screws on Amazon from a "UK based supplier".
Needless to say they came from HungDong and poor quality at that.
But then £2.50 inc. post doesn't really leave much money for quality.

Associate
OP
a
If you're not buying them from Homebase etc. and from an actual screw supplier (not Screwfix, although they are my go-to place for woodscrews) you'll probably find them cheap enough to buy bags of 10 in each size and have them posted to the other guy.

Don't do what I did though and bought a load off minature machine screws on Amazon from a "UK based supplier".
Needless to say they came from HungDong and poor quality at that.
But then £2.50 inc. post doesn't really leave much money for quality.

Any idea where I should be looking mate?

Associate
OP
just as I had finally sourced screws, I went to message the guy.

That very hour he had requested a refund on paypal stating only in the claim "Vastly different to how it was advertised, screws missing from product."

To which we obviously contested it, citing a professional opinion and giving a 2000 word text on the circumstances and why his claim was rubbished. IE: he took it apart and so anything was now on him, and that if he was not happy at the start he should have sent it back as the "missing screws" were not with the waterblock fitted card, but a cooler sent as a goodwill gesture, not part of the original listing.
And that because he took it apart it was no longer possible to be sure of the condition or its usability, compared to how we sent it.

To which paypal within 12 hours told him he would get a refund pending return. Safe to say we are beyond pi**ed off and that when we phoned paypal and described the situation to their disputes department, they couldnt understand how they had been told to return it at all. but that now they had we had to wait for a return and then get back in contact. Contacted ebay, they said nothing they can do as its well past their "ebay buyers guarantee" of 30 days, and that a paypal claim is not within their control.

So basically, got to wait for it to be returned. Paypal said if it isnt exactly how I sent it to then immediately get in contact with them.

Such fun....

Associate
just as I had finally sourced screws, I went to message the guy.

That very hour he had requested a refund on paypal stating only in the claim "Vastly different to how it was advertised, screws missing from product."

To which we obviously contested it, citing a professional opinion and giving a 2000 word text on the circumstances and why his claim was rubbished. IE: he took it apart and so anything was now on him, and that if he was not happy at the start he should have sent it back as the "missing screws" were not with the waterblock fitted card, but a cooler sent as a goodwill gesture, not part of the original listing.
And that because he took it apart it was no longer possible to be sure of the condition or its usability, compared to how we sent it.

To which paypal within 12 hours told him he would get a refund pending return. Safe to say we are beyond pi**ed off and that when we phoned paypal and described the situation to their disputes department, they couldnt understand how they had been told to return it at all. but that now they had we had to wait for a return and then get back in contact. Contacted ebay, they said nothing they can do as its well past their "ebay buyers guarantee" of 30 days, and that a paypal claim is not within their control.

So basically, got to wait for it to be returned. Paypal said if it isnt exactly how I sent it to then immediately get in contact with them.

Such fun....

I bet you get it back in pieces, and missing certain components. The buyer sounds like someone trying to pull a fast one, in my opinion.

Associate
OP
Regardless im phoning paypal as soon as it gets here. Thing is its not like I can resell it for the same value even if it does work. 1660 and 1660ti are out now. Who in their right mind would buy a used 1070 for 280 quid over a 1660ti for 250

Last edited:
Associate
Regardless im phoning paypal as soon as it gets here. Thing is its not like I can resell it for the same value even if it does work. 1660 and 1660ti are out now. Who in their right mind would buy a used 1070 for 180 quid over a 1660ti for 250

I managed to get £215 for my 1070, which was already a used card when I bought it in October. If someone is budget minded, £200 is better than £250, so don't despair yet!

Back
Top Bottom